help me pick a phone please

johndoe

Hi, I'm thinking of buying my first Android phone and I have short-listed two candidates.

1. Samsung Galaxy Y S5360

2. Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini/Mini Pro (but not the X10)

The SEXM has received a very positive review from gsmarena, has a better camera (with a flash), more powerful processor, more memory and automatic upgradability to ICS whereas the Galaxy Y would have to be hacked (i.e. forced) to receive ICS, has a lesser CPU and camera (sans flash).

My requirements are very basic, at least a 2MP camera, wifi, bt, android (upgradable to ICS), economical

need some help figuring out which to go with. i'm a bit tilted towards the xperia mini. any reason why I should not get it?

mods, please feel free to relocate this if this is not the appropriate place to post this topic. thx.

• Replies 24
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I would recommend a minimum screen resolution of 800 x 400 as your going to be doing alot of scrolling of scrolling otherwise.

What is your budget?

• Administrator

Xperia mini looks good to me. In my opinion, Galaxy Y lacks real power. Otherwise, what Lite said.

You must always beaware of the things you need, and the thing you want. The basic functionality of a phone costs about thirty bucks, so the rest you're paying is aesthetics and tweaks. Bearing that in mind, everything depends on what kind of user you are. Will you be playing a lot of games, using a lot of internet, etc?

If yes, you're talking smartphone (and obviously, Android). If not, stick to non-smart stuff.

If you're deffinitely settled for Smart, then you need to look for several things. Exact functional issues - do you have trouble reading smaller letters? Do you hate humongous telephones? Do you type a lot?, then only the look of the phone, and ultimately the build of the housing itself. A mobile is a device which you (probably) want to use for the next few years, so it needs to be durable enough.

Samsung has the currently BEST displays, no doubt. But, if you're upgrading from a n older phone, every mobiles' screen will be better. I myself would take the mini pro (I hate touch texting, and gynormous phones), however, you must beware. Sony Ericsson had some issues with the sound on the very first series out of the factory. When in the shop, look at thhe battery and find the manufacturing date. If it reads later than:39w11 you're good. If not, you MIGHT (not definitely) experience audio hissing noises from time to time. Bear in mind also that all plastic masks for the phone (I believe that all three are plastic) can produce screehing sounds and a nasty feeling while holding them.

thanks everyone, as it turns out i might not be buying a new phone right now anyways. something came up, change of plans :)

but i was really crazy about that xperia mini. alanon, check out that review i linked to - just for the heck of it - looks real nice - plus it's got a bravia screen/display (whatever the hell that means :D). i visited the market and somebody suggested i go for the Sony Ericsson Live walkman instead, but i think i'd still got for a mini if and when i ever got around to buying a new set...

Doing "a lot of scrolling of scrolling" with xperia mini pro. Battery is real poor as well.

Doing "a lot of scrolling of scrolling" with xperia mini pro. Battery is real poor as well.

explain please. what is "scrolling of scrolling"? :)

from what i've read online, all androids suffer from poor battery. the most you can expect it to last is one day. damn things heat up a lot as well i hear

but jalaffa, nice to know u known one, how is it overall. like alanon asked me, yes i will be upgrading from an old phone, a nokia series 40 (Nokia 5130 XpressMusic) which i feel is an awesome phone. the only thing it lacks is wifi, otherwise i have no issues at all. love the camera (but no flash :(). i've got more than 6000 photos of my (two and a half year old) daughter up on her own facebook account.

tweaking your android makes that poor battery go an extra day or two.. when I tweaked my Galaxy Y, averages 2 and 1/2 days without recharging, depending on usage..

Simply steps and fave apps to start:

1. Root

2. Install V6 SuperCharger

3. Change Launcher, like that of Zeam

4. CPU Tuner

5. Easy Battery Saver

6. AdFree

7. Tiny Flashlight

8. Avast

Makes a whole lot of difference from stock performance..

u can put bravia engine + mega bass into SE LWW if u're rooted :DD

edit: i looked it up, doesn't make much of a difference in phone features or performance!

running 2 days already with the tweaks, and still 56% of the same poor performing battery on the Galaxy Y to spare.. :showoff:

picked up the xperia mini today after all. haven't had a chance to really play with it yet, will need quite a bit of getting used to since i've only a little experience with touch phones (used to own a wm5/6 phone previously) and none at all with android

I think you'll be pleased. :)

Sony Ericsson has a great legacy, and it's been a good brand for many years. I still have a k750, one of the first camera phones, and it's still in excellent working condition. SE made them to last.

Too bad they're falling apart now.

• Administrator

Make sure to post a small review (one-two lines) on it whenever you please. :)

i read mini pro have hardware problems as well. only those with 11w31 manufacturing date are immune

yup SGSIII FTW but for me it would have been out of budget... even the SGSII after the launch of SGSIII would have been too expensive

but again yes, SGSIII FTW :)

DKT I'll try to come up with a kind of first impression once i have some time to play with the phone. even now it's still in its box because i have been super busy and looks like sunday is gonna be another busy day as well

ok started playing with my new toy yesterday. first impressions: IT IS AWESOME! i haven't actually gotten around to taking any pictures yet thought but i'm sure the camera must be a lot better than that of my nokia (which i love). i'd previously some not very positive experience with a touch phone (imate k-jam / htc wizard) using windows mobile 5 (stock) and subsequently 6.0 and 6.1. this was totally the opposite!

some people have had trouble with capacitive keys going wild after the phone heats up with extended usage. Thankfully I haven't experienced that nor hopefully will i, but just in case i got myself covered. got a fix ready from the xda guys. the phone is an 11w49 build so those issues have hopefully been ironed out in this build

the only one minor complaint i have is, using the radio requires the headset be plugged in. i have that same complaint with my nokia. that is what has and what will probably continue to stop me from any use of the radio at all. c'mon guys, those fucking cheap shit chine phone makers have it figured out, their phone have antennas build in or something so no need to have a headset connected to play the radio. these guys sony and nokia still haven't figured that part out! :D

planning on rooting thou retain stock bootloader in a few days / over the weekend hopefully - got that from the xda guys as well - the zerg thingy

the only one minor complaint i have is, using the radio requires the headset be plugged in. i have that same complaint with my nokia. that is what has and what will probably continue to stop me from any use of the radio at all. c'mon guys, those fucking cheap shit chine phone makers have it figured out, their phone have antennas build in or something so no need to have a headset connected to play the radio. these guys sony and nokia still haven't figured that part out!

Yup, they're morons in that regard. Be careful while listening to music, the cone which you insert the headphones is also shit. I've had situations where 'm in an overcrowded bus, and the contact ruptures, and the sound explodes over my speaker, and people start eying me out. -.- So pocket is probably a no-no, and it only gets worse in time, so purchase a new one now, for spares. Other than that, SE phones have no serial flaws. Glad you like it!! :)

to quote those mcdonald's (hate mcdonald's) advertisements, I'm lovin' it :)

tangkungan

do share your experiences as to your eventual mods and tweaks and how worlds-different it performs from pure stock.. B)

doubt i'm gonna be putting any custom ROMs on this (unlike my prior WM phone where i did find the stock ROM lacking hence tried out others). this one, at least for now, i'm pretty satisfied with. i do intend to root it though in a couple of days or so if / when I find time :D

battery life is too short. max one day if i keep wifi on 24x7. i'm experimenting right now, stock phone came with brightness turned all the way up, have cut it down to half, am keeping wifi on only as required etc.

rooted successfully using DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit [v4.0](zergRush Exploit) :)

Archived