Really annoyed with .NET 1.1, and need some help

Alanon

So here's the deal. I use a lot various dictionaries, encyclopaedias, etc... and I have most of them in some form of CD version, with a browser, etc. I also use a few programs in my native language, with seriously antiquated code, but I use them almost every day for translating stuff. So I have two old abandonware doctionaries. One uses .net 1.1, the other .net 1.0. The problem is, even though i have both installed, with all the hotfixes and stuff, the 1.0 program won't work. I've googled the issues many times over, attempted to create a config file to make the app use 1.0 version, to no avail. I've no idea how it managed to work up to now. I had the same setup before (win XP 32bit, 3gb of ram), and only reformatted a week ago. O.o

If someone could help, I would really appreciate it!

• Replies 23
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

try uninstalling .net framework (use the tool available here), restart windows then try a fresh reinstall of .net framework

Edit: You could try a fresh install using one of the .net framework installers listed here (while i did slipstream the .net framework from here in my windows xp mce torrent, i have not tried installing on a running version of windows so your mileage may vary)

First thing I did. I tried several times, removing both, installing both, then removin only 1.1, and trying to force the 1.1 app to use 1.0, nothing worked. :(

well then instead of re-installing your main windows again and again, why not install a fresh copy of windows on a virtual machine and use your old applications/software etc. on the virtual machine? (windows xp should work just fine on the vm, no need to install windows 7 on the vm just to use old programs) microsoft virtualpc should be good enough for your requirements

Seemed like too much of a hassle for such a small program, but, then again... XD

Try uninstalling .NET framework with some dedicated uninstaller..I recommend Revo Uninstaller..Run advanced scanning after uninstallation completes, then restart your PC and install .NET 1.0 first, then restart and then install v1.1..Good luck!

Spent the better half of last night trying to do this properly like you said rudrax. No way. -.- :pos: :pos: :pos:

Spent the better half of last night trying to do this properly like you said rudrax. No way. -.- :pos: :pos: :pos:

:s

• Administrator

I personally feel you should move on. From all the v1.x Dot Net softwares and Windows XP. As for dictionaries, there are great ones out there. As for encyclopaedias, we have something like Wikis.

Yeah, but this is a program made by a developer from Serbia, and it's a grammar dictionary concerning frequently misused phrases and misspellings in Serbian. XDDDD

I use(d) it daily to check if I accidentaly made common mistakes. The problem's there's no alternative soft that I know of. I own the dictionary in paperback, but it's so much more convenient for me working at my computer to just type in the questionable word, and pop. XD

I personally feel you should move on. From all the v1.x Dot Net softwares and Windows XP. As for dictionaries, there are great ones out there. As for encyclopaedias, we have something like Wikis.

I'm agree but not about XP...

;)

• Administrator

@Alanon: You should find alternatives. Very important that we sail with the times. One day, you'll have to find something else anyway.

@speedy57: Unless the hardware is keeping you behind, Windows 7 is the mother, father & god of all operating systems. XP is a great, but obsolete OS. Windows 7 = XP + Vista (the good parts). ;)

Incidentaly, I can't use 7. My cable modem has issues with it, and the tech support ain't worth shit. I'm currently under a two-year contract. Tried 3 different versions of 7, none of them register my modem as present, on both usb and network cable connections. So I'm stuck with XP, at least until Win 8. I'm not installing Vista, even if it's the last OS available.

• Administrator

Ah I remember. Had forgot about it. :)

Btw, a bit off-topic, but will win8 have some sort of xp mode?

• Administrator

Btw, a bit off-topic, but will win8 have some sort of xp mode?

Don't think so. However, Windows 7 has it, but, it's like a Microsoft's virtual manager. If one wants, he can use VMWare or Virtualbox anyway.

Does vista had backward compatibility for xp? if yes, than w8 may have that 'cause xp is still in the field pretty much..but this is not gonna help Alanon anyway if the problem was with the op sys..

Yeah, well, I'm seriously thinking of installing a Vm only for running this little shit. -.-

It goes against everything I want, i.e. an uncluttered system. Bah. .net is crap. -.-

you could try a portable version of virtualbox. i found a portable version of virtualbox somewhere, had been thinking of using that to - like you - keep my windows xp uncluttered but never used it because i found it was quite an old version and finally ended up installing the latest version of virtualbox

Hell, if it works, the version's unimportant. Gonna try and find it.

you could always use XP "performance edition" in a VM. multi-language keyboard support and is only around 300 megs if i remember correctly

After a lot of heartache, i managed to work it out with VM and my little shit. And now I'm damn pissed for going to all that trouble. I'm gonna remove both of them, even if i get paper blisters from incessent page turning, I don't give a damn. -.-

Archived