[Resolved] Spyware Doctor is infected with BDS/Hupigon.dcvh

rKAnjEL

• Replies 14
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scan all those files at VirusTotal.com and post back here with the results :)

The file that always pops-up a warning is "klg.dat".

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/9a2282a...c801a6a56e2f81f

I scanned it with VirusTotal and it's says it's only 13.89% infected, which I assume it might be a false-positive, even so it doesn't justify their indifference and attitude (PCTools that is).

Even if it's an excellent program, after such horrible support I'll never use any of their programs again, this is only a matter of personal opinion (which in this case mine) so feel free to use it or not, up to you guys.

There goes another customer for PCTools, customer service is of upmost importance in today industry.

:)

hate it when ppl does not response to queries.

Good for you, SuperAntispyware is a good program. In fact, most of the good anti-spyware are free.

Definitely a false positive :dance2: But you're right about support...

In case anyone's interested here's the official response I finally got from PCTools...2 days later!

Thank you for contacting PC Tools.

I will be happy to assist you with your query regarding AntiVirus detecting Spyware Doctor or its program files as infectious (i.e. a virus / malware / spyware).

This is a false positive from the AntiVirus software (i.e. AntiVirus is detecting Spyware Doctor as malicious infection when it is not). To help resolve this issue, could you please do the following things?

1. Add Spyware Doctor and its program files to the AntiVirus `ignore' list.

2. Contact your AntiVirus directly in regards to this issue.

Please be assured that Spyware Doctor is a world known application that does not participate in any malicious activities in your system.

If you require further assistance on this specific request, please reply to this email.

Kind Regards,

Ambrose Chea

Customer Support Representative

PC Tools Customer Support Services

• Administrator

2 days isn't a long time for reply for a free product - many companies will take upwards of a week to reply.

Generally speaking if your AV detects malware coming from a reputable company/ source its likely to be a FP.

2 days ? Sorry, I would understand if it was 2 weeks. Unnecessary whining imo... if you like the program, use it with ease.

Guys, read the first post, 2 days aren't the main issue here.

I contacted PCTools through their forums about this issue, and guess what? I was completely ignored although there were many others who stated that they have the same problem with different antivirus (Avira, Kaspersky, ZoneAlarm), and the only response I got from some lame-assed volunteer is to direct my attention toward antivirus companies!

When 3 different antivirus detect the exact same infection, that raises some questions? but no, they didn't bother and eventually banned me for being "rude"!

I just thought I let you guys know what happened, personally I ditched their stupid program and now using SUPERAntiSpyware and so far I'm satisfied.

That's the main problem...

Just for the record, imo SAS is better than the Doc :P If you have SAS, Malwarebytes' and an AV in your comp, it's all that you need.

Just for the record, imo SAS is better than the Doc :P If you have SAS, Malwarebytes' and an AV in your comp, it's all that you need.

I'm currently using the following:

Avira AntiVir Personal Classic 8.1

SUPERAntiSpyware Pro 4.15

Outpost Firewall Pro 2009

And so far, I haven't had a single problem or conflict.

What's with Avira ? Is it really better than NOD and Kaspersky ?

My shield consists of: NOD32 Antivirus 3.0.669.0 and COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.25.375 ... that's all. I don't feel the need for any additional progs after so soon putting on new windows and doing format. Although I will definitely look into SAS, Malwarebytes' and Spybot later, when I do a routine full system scan.

What's with Avira ? Is it really better than NOD and Kaspersky ?

My shield consists of: NOD32 Antivirus 3.0.669.0 and COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.25.375 ... that's all. I don't feel the need for any additional progs after so soon putting on new windows and doing format. Although I will definitely look into SAS, Malwarebytes' and Spybot later, when I do a routine full system scan.

Yes, Avira AntiVir is better than most (if not all) available antivirus programs out there, it has the highest detection rate and they even offer a FREE version :P

Check the detection-rate chart:

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/ihs/alex/R...D2008m3b_US.htm

Comodo is an excellent firewall but I hate it because it's a pain in the a** to configure, also check the leak-test chart

http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-...nge/results.php

This is a quick review for antispyware programs, but it only targets free ones

Best Free Adware/Spyware/Scumware Remover

Mon, 07/14/2008 - 07:12 — Steve Hargreaves

During my surfing session I managed to acquire nearly 200 nasties, and SuperAntiSpyware found 176 of them. Compared with the second best performer, this was an amazingly high figure, but not quite perfect. However, there are more plusses here. Installation was quick and painless, with scanning time at the default settings impressively quick, and the cleanup process effective. However, it was when I cleaned up that the only fly in the ointment appeared. Whilst SAS did clean every infection it found, on the first attempt it left some behind. A second scan and clean cured this.

The final cleanup was done with a full scan, rather than the quick/smart scan used for testing the software reviewed here, though this took three times as long to detect a single additional threat. Nevertheless, nothing else even came close to the detection rate of SAS.

The runner up in my test was MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, which detected 104 threats, though the time taken to detect them was a little longer than SAS. Having said that, scanning again after I let SAS clean up my system, Malwarebyte’s offering still found an additional 28 threats that SAS had failed to detect. Most of these were Trojans, which suggests the two are aimed at slightly different threats. Anti-malware happily removed these with no troubles at all.

Surprisingly, despite being much maligned of late, AdAware 2008 came third in my tests, finding 86 of the original threats and finding 3 that both SAS and Malwarebytes had ignored, suggesting that the former champion isn’t quite prepared to roll over dead just yet.

Perhaps the most disappointing test was A-Squared, which if you ignore the 10 tracking cookies, only detected a paltry 3 threats from the original infection, and none of these were malware as such, but simply mechanisms by which malware may operate. These remained even after cleaning with the previous three products.

More disappointingly, A-Squared gives no real indication of scan times, having just a progress bar which shows 100% complete long before the scan was actually finished.

Both Spybot S&D and Spyware Terminator were ineffective against the infections on my test system, detecting approximately 5 – 8% of the original infections. After cleaning, there was nothing left for these to claim any glory at all, and I find it hard to recommend either.

I hope that helps ;)

Is there any crack for Avira's paid version ?

Not really, you can find some here and there but none will work, at least not for long...most (if not all) decent AVs pirated keys gets banned so fast, so I stopped looking and frankly I'm satisfied with the fact they offer a free version =)

Also, Avast! is a good alternative to Avira, it's not as powerful but has a remarkable set of features (for a free AV).

Archived