Avira Free + good free antyspyware+firewall(free of course)

halo

What do you think about this free protection for my pc

Avira free+spyware Blaster(because go real-time protection)+SUPERAntispyware(free) or Malwarebytes Anti-malware(free)+Online Armor(free)

Im using firefox 3.0

can someone tell me what is THREAT FIRE ???? do i need this software???

THX

• Replies 11
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

This is a good setup. It covers most of a major bases.

If you are a high risk user, it might be an idea to add a HIPS system like ThreatFire, others like GesWall and Dynamic Security Agent could also be added (both free).

which is better GesWall or Dynamic Security Agent???i read that Geswall is a firewall

Avira free+spyware Blaster(because go real-time protection)+SUPERAntispyware(free) or Malwarebytes Anti-malware(free)+Online Armor(free)+Dynamic Security Agent???

I would go with PCTools ThreatFire Anti-Virus as your hips because is more user freindly along with Online Armor FREE but if you want a top notch firewall and HIPS in the same package go with Comodo.

But Comodo isn't that user freindly when you want to get the best out of him so it's your choice.

AntiVirus: Avira AntiVir is the best choice, Avast! comes in second.

AntiSpyware: SUPERAntiSpyware is a decent choice but doesn't offer resident protection, Windows Defender isn't half bad either.

FireWall: Online Armour is your best, it's excellent and easy-to-use, Comodo can be confusing at times.

HIPS: Personally, I find HIPS un-necessary not to mention to annoying, but I guess that's up to you.

I hope that helps.

If you uses Online Armor Free or Comodo Firewall Pro you are using HIPS (if not disabled by you before), another HIPS/BEHAVIOR prog running with one of this two can cause several problems, damages or mistakes on your system!!!

• Administrator

Many users use two types of HIPs systems with no problems.

Two AVs/ Firewalls is another story :(

AntiVirus: Avira AntiVir is the best choice, Avast! comes in second.

Why is it the best choice??...may i know some of its advantages to Avast??.... :rofl:

• Administrator

Two AVs/ Firewalls is another story ;)

Yes, can be, I agree, but.... they are double filtering system calls. Do you think this is right? I'm thinking NOT. It's better choose a HIPS thats cover all you want and avoid double filtering.

But if this is not possible, then I agree.

Essentially a HIPS can be a driver that provides a filter layer throught System and user software, and starts his own services. Multiple HIPS can be suitable, but not for the same thing. If you are using two HIPS for the same, securelly one of two or both not work well. I've experienced this many times on the past: redundant alert windows, chooses are not saved for next boot, and more cpu time spent every boot. Sometimes seems Comodo HIPS, he, he, he! ;)

This is partially true. For example you can run an AV and AS software together - both will have system level drivers however cause no issues, because they all run at different levels. AV software usually (not always) run at the same level.

Certain HIPs will cause issues with some others - however generally they won't. They may be alot of overlap however (as you stated above).

:)

Two AVs/ Firewalls is another story ;)

Yes, can be, I agree, but.... they are double filtering system calls. Do you think this is right? I'm thinking NOT. It's better choose a HIPS thats cover all you want and avoid double filtering.

But if this is not possible, then I agree.

Essentially a HIPS can be a driver that provides a filter layer throught System and user software, and starts his own services. Multiple HIPS can be suitable, but not for the same thing. If you are using two HIPS for the same, securelly one of two or both not work well. I've experienced this many times on the past: redundant alert windows, chooses are not saved for next boot, and more cpu time spent every boot. Sometimes seems Comodo HIPS, he, he, he! ;)

This is partially true. For example you can run an AV and AS software together - both will have system level drivers however cause no issues, because they all run at different levels. AV software usually (not always) run at the same level.

Certain HIPs will cause issues with some others - however generally they won't. They may be alot of overlap however (as you stated above).

:)

OK, I agree with this. Thanks for the responses! :P

Archived