Alanon

So, as far as I've noticed, I haven't seen a discussion thread on your preferences as far as analog vs. digital sound is concerned. I do this not wanting to prove any specific point of mine (as I don't really have one), and am interested on your oppinions as to the benefits of either, as well as what you use for your current musical perusal. I ask this not only out of curiosity, but because I'm mainly a digital man simply because... I'm used to it. Recently, I've been thinking of going analog, bying an old turntable and lettin the vinyl rip, however, as it's quite an expensive sport in Serbia (used turntables of reasonable quality are by much overpriced, records are sparse as well), it's not something I would get into unprepared. Nsane is a community of techies I trust, and there's bound to be at least a couple of people round here that have put some thought into their listening habits.

My :stereo: music setup, which I've built over the years, I find simply... sufficient. No more, no less. It's far from extreme audiophile dream experience, but I like to think of it as above average (I'm a big proponent of not spending heaps of money on such things, unless you are a professional in that line of work - it being your livelyhood. Would I like to have it? Of course! Do I NEED it? Errrrr... well, you get the picture). Anyways, I've got a small room, so I don't need anything huge. I've got a pair of good 'ol AIWA stereo speakers (2x55W, 6 ohm impedance), a neat subwoofer (60W output with full surround support for an independent 5.1 surround system), all hooked up to my trusted Yamaha RX-V440RDS NATURAL SOUND AV-receiver. I've hooked up an old Pioneer DVD player (one of the earlier models - no DivX support) via optical cable for basic Audio CD/Mp3/wma playing (I simply find the optical connection to have a better quality), and for my general needs, I'm patched through to my PC's audio card via S/PIDF cable. On the PC, running Breakaway DSP, for that little, all-important boost (not so sure whether I need it, vith Yamahas RDS on the job, but, who knows? XD. I also keep a resident 2.1 Logitech system connected on my PC, for quick and sometimes night time listening.

I've talked enough, hope to seeing and hearing you now!

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a never ending debate !

a topic which for some is a do or die thing , and taken very seriously and personally !

from all i know , most of the public out there dont even know what analog and digital sound is .

or for that reason the MP3 iTunes generation of today dont even know what good music is ( not referring to the type of music or any genre but to the actual ergonomics of a musical sound format ) and how it sounds like !

lucky me , even though i m too a part of the present crowd but i think i have sufficient knowledge to enjoy my music .

this is a very very long discussion , but i ll try to put down certain facts briefly .

1> Analog sound is and will always be the supreme . pure , raw , uncut . Its the actual form as how sound really travels in air .

2> Digital formats try to emulate the sound of a Analog ( through morphing and copying the Analog sound patterns )

3> The first digital formats to be introduced were the omnipresent CDs . ( Format 44.1KHz/16 bit )

4> Most CDs will never sound as great as Vinyls .

5> So forget about getting any quality from any of the new generation digital formats , the most popular being MP3 . Exception being if the format is a lossless one like FLAC or if the lossy rip is in high bit rate ( like 320 Kbps ) and done by an experienced user on a good system .

6> With modern advancements and the development of High Res sound formats ( like SACD 2.82Mhz/1 Bit, DVD-A 192KHz/24bit, DTS MA , Dolby TRUEHD , HDCD ) the perceptible difference between the analog formats and digital formats has thinned out to almost unnoticeable levels .

7> A lot depends upon the recording sound engineer who masters the RAW data during reocrding session and puts it onto the CD.

A well mastered CD can and will sound almost indistinguishable from a Vinyl . ( like the Gold disks , MFSL records , AF records ).

8>And there is much more to this than these mere 7 points .......! :P

Another thing is , a lot depends upon the quality of the electronic components used to drive the digital formats . The quality of the DAC , The power suppy , the AMP , and the Speakers !

If this chain is of good quality , even a mere mp3 at 128 kbps will sound much much better ! ;)

and listening to a high res format audio file on such a hardware is pure Bliss !

( here too , there are a lot of things to be taken in mind when preparing a good digital audiophile music system . )

Remember --

Lesser the components in the sound reproduction chain -- Better !

Minimal Sound Processing ( DSPs , Equalizers etc ... ) -- Better !

And if a sound is well mastered and well recorded digitally , rest assured it has all the necessary data inside it to produce sound waves of highest qulaity . meaning it wont need any bass enhancers or vocal boosters ! ;)

what you need is just a good set up !

Sadly , todays music is being butchered by the Loudness War !

Ever wondered why every damn song today sounds like every other , and its just a matter of few days or a few plays and then you dont even remember you ever listened to it ! you get tired and sick of it so damn soon !

Thats because the music is dying thanks to the Loudness wars .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

If you are a music listener and appreciator , you wouldnt deny the fact that there are still tunes from your younger days or from from the Golden era which you never tire from listening and which easliy set you into the mood of the song ...

Because that was the time when real music was made !

Consider this - Apple f@ckin sells high res songs as 256 kbps .! bullshit ...! :mellow:

there is a hell lot of info and details as to what Music is and how it is meant to be played .

well any ways ....

...... i think my friend nima might have to say something on this . :think:

Well said majithia23. There is nothing like listening to a well produced vinyl LP. CD's don't even come close in my opinion.

I collect vinyl from the 60's and 70's, obviously because I prefer them over CD reissues.

The only exceptions I can think of would be SACD, MFSL and Steve Hoffman remasters.

lucky me , even though i m too a part of the present crowd but i think i have sufficient knowledge to enjoy my music .

My point exactly. B)

Archived