Mediafire Actively Censors anonym.to Links

Ambrocious

@Infinite FireFly

There is a way to download successfully from Mediafire using anonym.to links in both Safari and Chrome (without) the use of any of the extensions above mentioned.

Could you please check my 2 first posts (#18 & #19) in this thread for more details of what I did and explain to me why it works?

Thank you in advance!

• Replies 65
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Infinite FireFly

There is a way to download successfully from Mediafire using anonym.to links in both Safari and Chrome (without) the use of any of the extensions above mentioned.

Could you please check my 2 first posts (#18 & #19) in this thread for more details of what I did and explain to me why it works?

Thank you in advance!

I have no specific explanation for this. I can tell you however that this somehow makes sure the referrer is not passed on to Mediafire.

Maybe the download subsystem in Chrome and Safari is more rudimentary than the actual browser and it doesn't have support for the referrer header.

This is the only explanation I can think of and it is probably true, but I didn't come to this conclusion by looking into it, just by using the knowledge I already have (it's an educated guess :P).

Thank you, shougth (I'm sorry for using Infinite FireFly before)

I understand your reasoning and it makes sense to me.

I also trust your 10,443 post :)

For now I will be using my work around to protect my privacy and my friends' privacy until someone comes out with an extension for Safari.

Cheers!

It has nothing at all to do with Google (or Opera, or Safari, or Apple).

Mediafire is disallowing people who are coming from anonym.to links to download from their site ;)

Firefox (Palemoon) with all addons disabled gets to the download pages on MF just fine through anonym.to link . It's just how Crome/Opera etc. addresses the referrer field issue probably has everything to do with it.

MF is spooked with the recent crackdowns and it wants to be able to "help" authorities by handing over data as to who's linking them to "errant" files. And obviously, an anonymizing service doesn't help.

all of you are wrong(within arguable reason :P) the REAL reason why they do this is because of installous links to mediafire.....i personally believe they started doing this because of installous

As of today all I know is that (at least in my case):

Chrome will download with the help of a sole extension: "ScriptNo" (with default settings)

But Safari, the default browser of my choice, doesn't have any extension to solve the problem.

Even when the "Java Script Blocker" extension claims to do the same.

Its developer offered to be able to do it in the next update (but no date was provided)

:(

Thank you for the discussion to all of you!

Thank you, shougth (I'm sorry for using Infinite FireFly before)

I understand your reasoning and it makes sense to me.

I also trust your 10,443 post :)

For now I will be using my work around to protect my privacy and my friends' privacy until someone comes out with an extension for Safari.

Cheers!

Not a problem, I was surprised you used my 'custom member title', found it quite amusing :P

-----

I'd like to mention one more thing: I think Ambrocious should be thanked for his uncovering of this practice, because without him we would've never known about this!

I think Ambrocious should be thanked for his uncovering of this practice, because without him we would've never known about this!

+1 :)

Thanks...I am always up to at least TRY investigate odd things. Sought did most of the technical forensics, the stuff I couldn't do, give him thanks too.

One thing I do wonder however....in your own words sought, what do you suspect this means? What do you suppose this is being done for?

Thanks...I am always up to at least TRY investigate odd things. Sought did most of the technical forensics, the stuff I couldn't do, give him thanks too.

One thing I do wonder however....in your own words sought, what do you suspect this means? What do you suppose this is being done for?

I think the passage below indicates exactly how I think about it:

MF is spooked with the recent crackdowns and it wants to be able to "help" authorities by handing over data as to who's linking them to "errant" files. And obviously, an anonymizing service doesn't help.

Mediafire does not want to be seen as a 'filehost for illegal stuff', so it proactively censors itself (for 'anonymous' traffic). It is pretty sad to see that this is what we've come to...

It makes since...their homepage now has a very "family friendly" look to it now as a huge PR stunt.

Shouldn't somebody take this to Reddit, Slashdot, Digg etc? If it isn't already?

• 4 weeks later...
Ann Oynimouse

Thanks for the hint.

Talking about Opera - Opera never had ANY relation to KHTML or WebKit

And - it have a built-in "RefControl" ;-)

So all one needs to do in Opera - is rightclick on MediaFire site, select "Properties, Network, Allow referer" and clear the tick.

Hope this helps for any Opera user out there.

calguyhunk

Wouldn't this procedure with Opera defeat the whole point of using "anonym.to"?

Anonym.to does nothing for the surfers. It is one of the many services used by certain websites so as not to show up as the referring web site to the cybrelockers/other websites when you click on a link on a forum/blog.

If you're linked to say, Rapidshare via anonym.to, RS still sees your IP but they don't get to see that the incoming link is from say, Nsane ;)

You need to use a proxy/VPN for your personal privacy.

If you're linked to say, Rapidshare via anonym.to, RS still sees your IP but they don't get to see that the incoming link is from say, Nsane ;)

Thank you, Calguyhunk.

I knew that.

My question is in reference with the user Ann Oynimouse.

So, if you follow the procedure Ann Oynimouse explains above in (Opera), will, lets say, Rapidshare see the (page or website) the link I'm clicking is?

Thank you!

Archived