Study: IE 9 fastest browser on Windows

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

A new study claims that Internet Explorer 9 is the fastest web browser on Windows-based PCs. However, various versions of Google's Chrome for the Mac are even faster.

Who has the fastest web browser on Windows? Would you believe Internet Explorer 9? That's the claim from New Relic, a company that helps web sites boost their performance. They conducted a study on the speed of various web browser for Windows and Mac. New Relic states they conducted their study by observing 5 billion global page loads for a period of one week in March 2012.

Posted Image

On the Windows side, IE 9 was the fastest with an average page load time of just 3 seconds. Mozilla's Firefox 11 and 14, along with Google's Chrome 17, all tied for second with load times of 3.5 seconds each.

Posted Image

While IE 9 may be fastest on Windows, on the Mac it's a different story. As the chart above shows, the 10 fastest web browsers on the PC (combining results from both Windows and Mac) all belong on the Mac side, with the Mac port of Chrome 13 being the fastest to load a page at just 2.4 seconds.

In terms of web browser popularity, New Relic says that the various versions of Internet Explorer still rule on Windows with 40 percent of the market share. However, Google's Chrome is in second, according to the study, with 33 percent, followed by Firefox with 24 percent. Opera and Safari are well behind at two percent and one percent, respectively. On the Mac side of things, it's no surprise that Safari is the leader with 59 percent of the market share. Firefox is second with 21 percent and Chrome is not far behind at 19 percent.

Posted Image View: Original Article

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This study is a joke...

I totally agree on this. The probably mixed it. IE9 can only be the slowest.

Cheers ;)

Don't get it, 3 seconds(!!!) as "fastest" page load time?

What pages are they testing?

According to Firefox itself even Nsane with all those pictures and adds and everything needs something between 0.02 and 0.39 seconds...

Google needs almost no time to load^^ (FF12b3)

Maybe they tested how long a browser is trying to load a page until the "Server timeout" page is visible? :D

Edit: Ok NSane was precached :D with no caching its about 2secs on first load.

This study is a joke...

Why? Just because the so called informed IT crowd favour Chrome and FF? Chrome & FF "feel" snappy and fast, for example when i type an address in URL bar and hit enter, Chrome begins loading the page and the most important part is that it loads the page layout first, with perhaps a very small fraction of the actual elements displayed on screen itself. During this short time a user can already begin scrolling down the page which is yet to be loaded and rendered correctly.

Now what i have mainly noticed with IE9 is that, after hitting return once the URL is typed in, there is a slight pause before atleast 25-50% of a pages elements appear after which a user can begin scrolling the page waiting to be loaded.

Chrome merely gives an impression that the page is 100% loaded when it is infact not. However, users who browse familiar sites say for example msn.co.uk. I know that just below the mid right hand side of the webpage there is a small table of the current stock market values. If i loaded this page on IE9 id have to wait before 25-50% of the elements were loaded on the page before i could begin scrolling to this part of the page. Where as in chrome i can attempt to load the page and almost immediately scrolling is available but only a fraction of the pages elements are displayed.

Each obviously has differing rendering engines and hence the results will be different. I don't really use FF often so cant say as much but from personal experience it is similar to Chrome :)

So on Mac at least, Chrome's getting slower with every new build?

Saeed Karim Bakhsh

Bullshit:)) Firefox 12 and Chrome 18 are the fastest ones up to now.but firefox seems a bit slower than chrome,but in the background you will see that it is not like that at all.also firefox loads pages in more quality.im talking about CSS,HTML5 etc

what did they test IE 9 and others on ... ?

computers from MARS ?? !!

duh::

utter crap and nonsense .

although better and improved than its predecessors , but it does not fulfill this parameter .

report a believable lie IE and not a blatant simply untrue finding ... ( as if we dont have the resources to test it .. )

The truth is, that IE is just not as user friendly as FF. It may not be the nightmare that version 6 might have been anymore, but even the biggest MS fanboi cannot accuse it of being user friendly.

Once you get used to FF, the only browser that seems to not appear unusable is Chrome. Do'nt use it on a daily basis nor Opera or Safari or any of their other derivatives.

Archived