Mozilla posts Firefox redesign mockups

tezza

Summary: Mozilla’s user interface changes between Firefox 3 and 4 caused quite a controversy, with a significant percentage of the userbase choosing to stick with Firefox 3.

It seems that Mozilla might be getting ready to give Firefox another facelift, as new mockups of potential design changes are posted on the Mozilla Wiki.

At the core of this possible redesign is removing the Firefox button that currently resides at the top-left of the browser and replaces it with a new menu panel. This panel is used to display commonly used features such as opening a new windows, printing, private browsing as well as offering access to the Options menu.

Posted Image

If you’re a Google Chrome user then this might seem familiar to you, but there’s a twist. Rather than the static menu panel of Chrome, Mozilla plans to give users the ability to customize the menu panel by rearranging the icons, and adding and removing new ones.

Posted Image

Users will also have the ability to add and remove items to and from the toolbar too.

Posted Image

Also, you may notice how themes are displayed in the customizations tab, allowing them to be applied directly to the browser.

Changes to the layout of a browser’s user interface have the potential to upset a lot of people, as it can significantly impact workflow. Mozilla’s user interface changes between Firefox 3 and 4 caused quite a controversy, with a significant percentage of the user base choosing to stick with Firefox 3. It remains to be seen what users will think of yet another user interface change being thrust upon them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Image credits: Mozilla.

http://www.zdnet.com...n-mockups/19520

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Edited and added larger images from Mozilla wiki. :)

I kinda disagree with the original article. First, as far as I know, majority of people loved UI changes in Firefox 4.0, those who didn't switch was because they were either unhappy with the speed or were worried about their addons being disabled. Second, through some stats obtained, we've come to know that technologically advanced users usually upgrade to latest Firefox version right away, majority of those Firefox users are already on 11.0.

Nice changes nevertheless. Am going to love and looking forward to it. :D

...majority of people loved UI changes in Firefox 4.0...

I know I did :)

...technologically advanced users usually upgrade to latest Firefox version right away, majority of those Firefox users are already on 11.0.

On Beta 12. Used the Aurora for some time last year, but way too unpredictable for a work browser. Add-ons never worked, and used to crash at every given opportunity. Only for the hardcore. Had to switch to the beta channel. The nightly meanwhile are only for the testers, developers, and the unemployed :P

Nice changes never the less. Am going to love and looking forward to it. :D

Me too. Especially since I hope that it'll remain just as customizable. And even if it doesn't, the good thing 'bout open source software is that someone will definitely come up with an add-on to make it look more like the current ones and as for the icons, I can toss out any default icon I don't care for anyways :)

BTW, isn't nevertheless a single word? :chair:

• Administrator

On 12 Beta too. :)

calguyhunk, you Grammar Nazi. :P Indeed, it's a single word. Fixed. :)

Archived