Limewire

Guest volko

This is just a question about the Limewire Beta's. Is it legal to download them? Are they being "re-coded" or are they just a cracked version?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 12
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's a retail app, which means there's no reason to crack it. just install it and enjoy. legality, however, depends on the laws for the country you live in...

it's a retail app, which means there's no reason to crack it. just install it and enjoy. legality, however, depends on the laws for the country you live in...

...and what you intend to use it for

ain't that the truth... :)

Guest justice4all

serious P2P newbie questions.....

Without PeerGuardian..etc, what are the chances of someone getting caught downloading?

and...

What are the more "illegal"(if thats the right word) things to download on P2P? (eg; mp3's, dvd's, Micro$oft apps..etc)

I never used PeerGuardian that much, except in a few instances when I could be bothered, so not using it isn't neccessarily bad, but it is advised to run some form of IP blocker.

As for the second question, it all depends on who is trying to scan the networks. The RIAA/BPI are interested in music, MPAA etc... films. Nothing is considered more dangerous than any other as they will all come down hard on you should you get caught. Any $3000 fine shouldn't be sniffed at.

Guest justice4all
I never used PeerGuardian that much, except in a few instances when I could be bothered, so not using it isn't neccessarily bad, but it is advised to run some form of IP blocker.

As for the second question, it all depends on who is trying to scan the networks. The RIAA/BPI are interested in music, MPAA etc... films. Nothing is considered more dangerous than any other as they will all come down hard on you should you get caught. Any $3000 fine shouldn't be sniffed at.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks for your reply, I think I'll keep PeerGuardian on for now, I don't want a 1 minute download for a song costing $3000 bucks( :) ), better safe than sorry. thanks again.

Of course it's illegal to download copyrighted files. I'm talking about downloading Limewire itself from here; since you normally have to pay for the pro version.

[n00b]I thought it was legal to share it if you compiled it with Java yourself. Did you?[/n00b]

The chances of getting caught are slim I'd presume.

nah, it's the same exact file you'd download if you bought it, not a specially compiled one :blush:

and the download servers here aren't operated by limewire, so...

SliverSamuel

Best to dowload in a country like Russia, i heard the government has no control there. :blush:

Archived