Dead computer, Need help

avmad

A friend brought his pc around for me to look at as it wont start up. :(

I changed the power lead. Looked inside and looks like everythings connected. Re-inserted all the RAM and Graphics card and still nothing.

It doesn't do anything when switching it on, it's just dead.

My guess is the PSU has died but could it be anything else? Would a dead hard drive cause it to appear dead? Could be the Mobo I suppose.

All he can remember happening is (my interpretation of what he said) it turned on and ran a disk check. Then booted up but with no start menu/task bar. Then he must have turned it off. Then a couple of days later he turned it on and got nothing.

No fans, lights, startup etc. Just appears dead.

I don't fancy checking the PSU with a bit of wire, i'd probably electrecute myself. (I read how online)

Apart from changing the PSU I don't know what to do.

It's a fairly old Fujitsu Siemens pc. AMD 64 thing running XP. I've worked on it before adding Ram, graphics etc. Would be nice to get it going again because it's all he's got. :(

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No startup beeps or any activity means a dead PSU or mobo. Hard drives don't interfere with the fans and lights. The first thing you should try is replacing the PSU :)

It's the PSU, but one question, the new componentes and updates it's 100% compatible with your motherboard??

PD: It's this computer is old, change PSU with generic and other updates compatible.

It looks like mother board problem since the things you mentioned, is related to mother board..Is't Laptop or Desktop.. :huh:

Posted Image

heh sorry the immaturity kicked in :P

michaelteo2000

Try replace the power supply first.

If it is still no sign of booting.

Just change the whole CPU...

PSU and motherboard you should try replacing respectively....

Well, once I had similar problem in my old PC..No response on pressing the power button..Then the front panel of the system is found faulty.

Let us know if you solved.

AlienForce1

Clean conections of memory moduls and slots... and insert, probe.

If it would be RAM`s fault it would appear an error message about it .

As rudrax said you should check also the Power switch , but most likely your problem is PSU or motherboard .

If it would be RAM`s fault it would appear an error message about it .

Well, its not completely true, sometimes, if the RAM is faulty, the display unit shows nothing, hence there would not be any chance of displaying an error message. I repaired an old PC having such problem. :)

Check your PSU first like this (black and green wire together) and you'll see if the fan turn and your PSU's working:

Posted Image

;)

• Administrator

Well, once I had similar problem in my old PC..No response on pressing the power button..Then the front panel of the system is found faulty.

Remember what company that computer/cabinet was? Cause I've had similar problem with a crappy iBall cabinet.

Remember what company that computer/cabinet was? Cause I've had similar problem with a crappy iBall cabinet.

I am not sure..That was a damn heavy cabinet..It was given by govt. to the 1st div. holders on 10th grade exams..The sponsor was Amtron and the brand name was PCS..

A friend brought his pc around for me to look at as it wont start up. :(

I changed the power lead. Looked inside and looks like everythings connected. Re-inserted all the RAM and Graphics card and still nothing.

It doesn't do anything when switching it on, it's just dead.

My guess is the PSU has died but could it be anything else? Would a dead hard drive cause it to appear dead? Could be the Mobo I suppose.

All he can remember happening is (my interpretation of what he said) it turned on and ran a disk check. Then booted up but with no start menu/task bar. Then he must have turned it off. Then a couple of days later he turned it on and got nothing.

No fans, lights, startup etc. Just appears dead.

I don't fancy checking the PSU with a bit of wire, i'd probably electrecute myself. (I read how online)

Apart from changing the PSU I don't know what to do.

It's a fairly old Fujitsu Siemens pc. AMD 64 thing running XP. I've worked on it before adding Ram, graphics etc. Would be nice to get it going again because it's all he's got. :(

This happened to my friend's laptop. It won't turn on at all. I'm assuming that the only fix to this problem is to buy a new laptop, since the mobo is the laptop and everything is integrated into it.

I can say for sure its PSU as there is no activity i.e no power to components.

Thanks for the input everyone. With my magical skillz I fixed it. :D

All it needed was a bit of fresh air and a change of scenery. B) OK, so I just plugged it in and turned it on and it powered up.

I still spent all day repairing Windows and updating everything to make it useable though. So it was still a PITA. Was stuck in an endless circle of CHK DSK and BSOD :angry:

All sorted and hopefully will still work when I give it back. :rolleyes:

This happened to my friend's laptop. It won't turn on at all. I'm assuming that the only fix to this problem is to buy a new laptop, since the mobo is the laptop and everything is integrated into it.

Hi, the problems in laptops it's solved with Reballing components of motherboard, graphic card or chipset.

Archived