Norton Ghost VS Acronis True Image

Jin

Which one do prefer? any good or bad experiences on both softwares? Is it advisable to use?

anyone can share...Thanks :)

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which one do prefer? any good or bad experiences on both softwares? Is it advisable to use?

anyone can share...Thanks :)

I tried both and prefer acronis...but for the past year have been using true image drive clone pro on my three computer...1 desk top and two laptops. drive clone pro has an "image snapshot" feature that is really good as well as "complete image" back up features. Both support saving image file to a usb drive.

edit... and yes it is a good idea to have a software that you can rely on to be able to recover from a disaster.... i even totally lost a hard drive with the operating system on it and was able to put the image file onto a brand new hard drive and not lose any data, songs, pictures or any settings what so ever

Love Acronis True Image, easy to configure for backup......been using it for a while now.

Sounds like you already made the choice but I agree with acronis...

(Also use Mozy for those things that cannot be replaced if the house burns down along with the HD's)

To gest- What's MOZY? hehe sorry for my ignorance...

To dMOG- if i restore system state backup will the files like my songs, files etc. will be deleted also? pls enlighten me. if i backup system state, is it tantamount as the whole operating system? or i need to backup the whole partition? Thanks

To dMOG- if i restore system state backup will the files like my songs, files etc. will be deleted also? pls enlighten me. if i backup system state, is it tantamount as the whole operating system? or i need to backup the whole partition? Thanks

If you do a restore.... you will be reverted back to the exact same point in time the program was used to make the restore point.... so one thing i do also is for my music and photo files i also have separate back ups on an external hard drive so i will not loose any important personal pictures and music. I am not certain about acronis as i have not used the newer versions BUT with drive Clone Pro you have two options..1 is to use a snapshot to restore, and snapshots can be created once per day OR every time the computer starts... OR 2...use a complete backup that was made. Both programs are very good at waht they do and are both excellent choices for disaster recovery

With Acronis, you can do a full backup and follow by incremental backup on schedule (if you want). You will need a bigger HDD for partition and incremental backup.

It will return you to a state you was at the last backup!

I prefer Acronis - it's supposed to be absolutely benchmark stuff. The current 'Home' version is Acronis True Image 11 Build 8101.

Sorry, but Acronis never gave me any excuse to try out Norton Ghost. :rolleyes:

I prefer Acronis - it's supposed to be absolutely benchmark stuff. The current 'Home' version is Acronis True Image 11 Build 8101.

Sorry, but Acronis never gave me any excuse to try out Norton Ghost. :D

drive clone pro also does incremental backups...s i said you will not go wrong by using either program so whatever one you can find easier will be the deciding factor...but don't try Norton ghost... you will not really like it..besides it is from Norton :pirate:

...but don't try Norton ghost... you will not really like it..besides it is from Norton :pirate:

I'll second that - come to think of it (Nortons have always caused me a lot of grief.)

...but don't try Norton ghost... you will not really like it..besides it is from Norton :pirate:

I'll second that - come to think of it (Nortons have always caused me a lot of grief.)

Norton cause a lot of ppl grief, I remember trying to uninstall a friend's pc, almost cried :D

Why is Norton bundle into most pc today is a big question?

30 days trial and then you are unable to cleanly uninstall?

i think ghost v8 was the quite good one, after that they totally changed the program.. anyway, i used ghost in the past, but now i've been using acronis for a year or two and i think it's much better than ghost.. and especially the newer versions of ghost simply suck..

drive clone pro also does incremental backups...s i said you will not go wrong by using either program so whatever one you can find easier will be the deciding factor...but don't try Norton ghost... you will not really like it..besides it is from Norton :D

Another upcoming and recommended backup utility is a release from 'Genie-Soft' - the latest version being 'Genie Backup Manager Professional 8.0.318.488.' I use it alongside 'Acronis True Image 11 Build 8101' whenever I backup onto rewriteable discs media. It has enough & more features to match the giants in the backup division:-

http://www.genie-soft.com/products/gbm/default.html

My apologies if this thread seems to be drifting off-topic (anything to keep folks away from the Nortons with wiser alternatives.)

here are some of the features of drive clone 5...i think the new version of true image is similar....

-- Snapshot - constantly monitors changes on hard drive sectors

and provides non-stop protection

-- Universal Restore - allows users to restore to different

operating systems or dissimilar hardware

-- Incremental backup - backs up only files modified since the

last backup, saving both time and space

-- Partition backup - allows for easy migration to a bigger hard

drive

-- Bare metal restore - users may restore a computer system

without a previously installed operating system

Mozy is an online backup site. Pretty cheap and highly configurable. I have a ton of very important pics and vids of family that I want to make sure I do not lose.

I like the 'set it and forget it' mode Mozy offers. I tried carbonite but Mozy seemed better. But it may be just preference.

I've found that Acronis has done a really good job at backing up my drives and has saved my hard drives on many occasions.

I also probably wouldn't have tried it out if it wasn't for Western Digital. When I purchased an external 400GB MyBook, there was a copy of the software (full version) on the hard drive already (also available for registered WD customers on their website). It looks cleaner than Ghost and is actually faster IMO.

Archived