ESET Smart Security freezing computer

sscsr1

I got the latest ver of ess and using the purfix. It installed, updated and seems to be working great. The problem is when i attatch a external hdd to the computer it freezes my system and I have to power off and reboot to fix it. If the external hdd is already attached before i boot up the computer then all is well. I searched google and found that it's eset causing the problem and even downloaded a .dll fix from eset but still have the problem.

Does anyone else have this trouble and if so have you found a fix yet? I'm a fan of eset and would hate to loose it over something simple like this.

• Replies 24
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Right click the NOD32 tray icon) >>>> Advanced setup... >>> (expand) Computer >>> (enable - in your case, it will already be enabled) Action to take after inserting removable media >>> (select) Show scan options (from the drop-down menu) >>> OK

(Right click the NOD32 tray icon) >>>> Advanced setup... >>> (expand) Computer >>> (enable - in your case, it will already be enabled) Action to take after inserting removable media >>> (select) Show scan options (from the drop-down menu) >>> OK

Thank you for the quick reply. I did as you said and it was already set like that. At times when I plug in my drives a little window does pop up for me to make a slection but i never select anything and close it out. Should I select something?

At times when I plug in my drives a little window does pop up for me to make a slection but i never select anything and close it out.

Well, it prompts you whether you want it to scan the removable drive or not.

Just In case you don't need to ever scan it, just make a slight change with reference to your style of working (not always recommended though):-

(Right click the NOD32 tray icon) >>>> Advanced setup... >>> (expand) Computer >>> (disable) Action to take after inserting removable media >>> OK

unknownasphyxiated

try disable purefix 1st

update eset so it can update all module

then re-apply purefix

the freezing problem should be solved in .95

or you can use TNOD if the problem persist

I will give it a shot and report back. Thanks

Edit: unfortunately it didn't work. I also tried the fix on eset site using their download and following their instructions for the install (except I activiated the trial instead of username password) and did update and still freezes my system when I connect a external drive.

I also tried the fix on eset site using their download and following their instructions for the install (except I activiated the trial instead of username password) and did update and still freezes my system when I connect a external drive.

That's got nothing to do with the issue you're facing.

Why don't you just try excluding that particular external HDD from scanning. Exclusions are the hallmark of the V5.

I got the latest ver of ess and using the purfix. It installed, updated and seems to be working great. The problem is when i attatch a external hdd to the computer it freezes my system and I have to power off and reboot to fix it. If the external hdd is already attached before i boot up the computer then all is well. I searched google and found that it's eset causing the problem and even downloaded a .dll fix from eset but still have the problem.

Does anyone else have this trouble and if so have you found a fix yet? I'm a fan of eset and would hate to loose it over something simple like this.

I will advise to uninstall the Eset complete with the help of Revo uninstaller...Then try to clean registry with Ccleaner (note: don't forget to make backup). And try to install the v5 again...

Or if that doesn't work then try to make a formal complain to Eset.... :huh: :( :unsure:

Thank you both for your replies. I will give it one more try after a good cleaning. But I am about to the point where I am going to change to another program as much as I hate to do it. I was thinking about vipre since I went to eset from sunbelt a long time ago. But i would rather stay with eset.

This occurs only with XP...not 7 . I have them in dual boot. USB flash drives work fine..it's only the external HDD's that freeze :huh:

This occurs only with XP...not 7 . I have them in dual boot. USB flash drives work fine..it's only the external HDD's that freeze :huh:

Yes that has been my experience. Sorry I should have mentioned that my os was xp.

Yes that has been my experience. Sorry I should have mentioned that my os was xp.

Eset v5 is still buggy. Use v4.2 for now until the eset people sort it out properly.

Have you turned on program module updates? I would say do a clean install eset with tnod or minodlogin and module update enabled.

Have you turned on program module updates? I would say do a clean install eset with tnod or minodlogin and module update enabled.

No I havnt tryed that where is it located? going back to ver 4.2 sounds like a good idea if I cant resolve this soon.

Advanced setup >>> (expand) Update >>> Setup >>> Program component update

but don't use with purefix.

I have also some freezing problem at beging of v5 but its not now. I think it solved through Program component update. So do a clean install eset with tnod or minodlogin and module update enabled.

If you tried everything else and still won't work, just revert to v4.2 till this v5.0 freeze bug is totally sorted out. :showoff:

@ Rocketman

The first link yes I did try that in fact that shortcut is still on my desktop. It was after that failed that I started asking for help. I really thought the fix on that page was going to work. As for the second link I checked and I don't have any of those drivers but thanks for finding that I had not come across that one.

@ Anuraag

I will give that a try later today. I changed from the purefix to tnod in the hopes that it would update the program when i ran the update but I have seen no evidence that is did and I was watching for something to say that every time. Even the check ver says it's the latest ver.

If you tried everything else and still won't work, just revert to v4.2 till this v5.0 freeze bug is totally sorted out. :showoff:

I tried everything and still doesn't work.Is there a link to an archive version of 4.2 on here I could grab? All the searches take me to ver 5.

I tried everything and still doesn't work.Is there a link to an archive version of 4.2 on here I could grab? All the searches take me to ver 5.

http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/121992-need-setup-file-of-eset-smart-security-4-business-edition/

Thank you for the link and thanks everyone for all the help. I cant seem to get it to work so I am going to revert to ver 4 till there is update that works for me.

Archived