My internet Connection

Hitman6267

Hitman6267

Hello, I'm never happy with my internet connection and when I talk to my ISP they always tell me you'r getting this or that because this is peak time or because it isn't a dedicated connection.

I have ADSL 512. I should be getting like 62kb/s download right ? I only get 45-52 kbs. Can any one suggest a series of test that I can do to proove to my ISP that something is wrong ? If its not the peak time or dedicated excuse they tell me its the site that I'm downloading from that is slow.

• Replies 26
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello, I'm never happy with my internet connection and when I talk to my ISP they always tell me you'r getting this or that because this is peak time or because it isn't a dedicated connection.

I have ADSL 512. I should be getting like 62kb/s download right ? I only get 45-52 kbs. Can any one suggest a series of test that I can do to proove to my ISP that something is wrong ? If its not the peak time or dedicated excuse they tell me its the site that I'm downloading from that is slow.

if its na website you are at then yes you cant go faster then their setup.

in the usa if you have dsl then you have free newsgroup access. since you are not in the usa if you have newsgroup access use newsleecher and run it. it will download at your max speed.

The calculation goes like this: 512/8=64 KB/sec. Now you should do 64 x ~0.90 = 57,6. You should pick this value(approx. 0.90) because of the fact that your distance to your ISP, the quality of your connection, the load on the server you are connecting to(ISP server and download server of file) and the fact that you are uploading requests and downloading files at the same time(your Download speed is actually your Download speed-your Upload speed being used at the moment) all take a little of your speed.

So you've got nothing to worry about, it's totally normal and you should call those bastards at your ISP and tell them what a bunch of idiots they are for not even knowing this kind of shit.

So you've got nothing to worry about, it's totally normal and you should call those bastards at your ISP and tell them what a bunch of idiots they are for not even knowing this kind of shit.

if he did that they might cut his service off. not like theres a lot of isp there around his area ;)

Hitman6267

@Shought

ok so I should get 57.6 but I'm only getting 45-52 (52 max). They mentioned something about a 10% loss but they never go into details because they think I won't get it. To be fair most of the people that contact them might as well be computer illiterate.

When trying to play Half-Life 2 Deathmatch (using steam) they always tell me that my ping is high like 728. I know ping depends on the distance between me and the server but it that high of a ping normal ?

@myidisbb

we have like 7 :P

@Shought

ok so I should get 57.6 but I'm only getting 45-52 (52 max). They mentioned something about a 10% loss but they never go into details because they think I won't get it. To be fair most of the people that contact them might as well be computer illiterate.

When trying to play Half-Life 2 Deathmatch (using steam) they always tell me that my ping is high like 728. I know ping depends on the distance between me and the server but it that high of a ping normal ?

Well I told you about the upload speed taking away a part of your download speed, maybe that causes the drop of 5.6 KB/sec. Good they told you about the 10 % loss, they turned out not to be idiots after all.

But can I ask you: Is 5 KB/sec really something to worry about? I know it's like another 10 % of your connection, but it isn't that much and your ping shouldn't be that high even with a 'lower' speed like that. How did you measure your speed? Since when I am using torrents my speed is much faster than when I use a speed test like Speedtest.net. Maybe first try to use Speedtest.net and afterwards download a well seeded torrent(seeder/leecher ratio 2:1). Before adding the torrent to uTorrent you should put your upload speed to 0 and have no other torrents added. This torrent(you don't have to download the whole file, just max out your connection): http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ select OpenOffice 2.4.1, Windows and English. Now watch the torrent for 2-5 minutes and see if it gets to your maximum speed(57.6 KB/sec).

A ping of 700 is abnormal. It's way too high ;) Pings from 0 - 250 are acceptable, everything above that will slow the server down. There's a few thing you can do to solve high ping problems. Turn off all applications that are running in the background and the foreground(if you're running the game on a very slow PC, try even turning of AV and such) and make sure that there are no downloads going on/you're not browsing the web/not using any kind of messenger at the same time when gaming. If you never did any of this whilst gaming(leaving on back-/foreground programs and downloading) then I wouldn't know how we could solve your ping problems :P

@Shought

@myidisbb

we have like 7 :P

thats good. over here you have cable and bells and then the local mama and papa 56 k dialups ;) in a area

Hitman6267

I'm new to DSL so this is the first time I need to forward a port. I tried googling it but can't find any guide on port forwading on a modem. (my modem: http://www.zhone.com/products/6218/ ) Can any one help ? I can't test torrents if I don't forward a port.

I'm new to DSL so this is the first time I need to forward a port. I tried googling it but can't find any guide on port forwading on a modem. (my modem: http://www.zhone.com/products/6218/ ) Can any one help ? I can't test torrents if I don't forward a port.

Yep, I can (Surprise, surprise!). Actually there is a site called PortForward.com ;) I'll search it for you, get results in a minute ;) I could tell you now, but the names would differ, so I'm checking up on your modem now.

Edit: Dammit, there's only Routers on there... Well, now I need you to upload a screenshot of how your Port Forwarding section in your Modem/Router looks like. Since I see it is a Modem/Router. I think this is going to be hard to do, but I'll try to help you anyhow/anyway.

Do you already know the IP of your Modem/Router?

Dang, for problems like this a Chat would be handy... Can you give me your MSN/ICQ in a pm?

Don't worry Lite, I'll post everything we find out back here :P

Hitman6267

I already checked portforwarding ddn't find anything like you.

This is a pic of the portforwarding section

post-2083-1215120644_thumb.jpg

Hitman6267

and this is when get when I click add. (I had to put it in another post because there is a limit on the attachement size per post.

post-2083-1215121063_thumb.jpg

about the MSN thing I will pm you when I have time so we could to try and troubleshoot it. Thank you :P

Edit: This is a speed test I took at speedtest.net this is one of my good results.

291760178.png

The high ping rate is getting on my nerves, the server is in occupied Palestine it can't be any closer and I'm still getting ~500

He won't be needing that, I got his answer for the torrents and his answer for his speed.

Speed: 512 * 0.9 = 460 Kb/sec. 440 is nearly 460 and the loss is approximately 10 %(so it might be a bit more). So speed is 'good'. But your ping isn't. That's just not right. I think you should call your ISP about that since your speed isn't really weird, but your ping is :wacko:

About the torrent configuring:

Paradyne 6218-I2, does that version number look familiar?

http://portforward.com/english/routers/por...I2/Utorrent.htm

Does the interface in the fifth screenshot look familiar?

Guess what, it's the same, only a different brand.

Do exactly as they tell on that page:

- Give your PC a static IP(To do this: Start, Config, Network and Internet, Network connections, Right-click LAN-Connection, Properties, Select Internet Protocl(TCP/IP) in the box and press properties, keep that screen opened, go back to the Network connections window and Right-click LAN-Connection again, press Status, go to the tab Support, you see three values there, copy them to your TCP/IP properties window after clicking Use a custom IP in there at DNS server you only fill in the first entry and you make it the same as your Standard gateway. Click Ok. Done.

- Find your uTorrent port.

- Try to figure it out with the guide on their page.

- Any questions, get back here! :P

Hitman6267

ok I managed to open the port. I got a max speed of 51kb/s (this lasted for 1 second) and it kept on going back and forth between 48 and 50.

This is another speed test i took b4 starting the torrent.

292310075.png

If nothing can be done about the speed, could just tell me what I need to tell my ISP about the ping ? What should it be ? and what should I say if he says that it shouldn't be like that and that its fine the way it is ? (btw if you notice the server I'm using for the speed test is in Haifa thats in occupied Palestine which is right next to me in Lebanon so isn't really weird that I'm getting a high ping ?)

Also I'm going to google in a while what port forwarding is but if you could explain these things to me I'd appreciate it.

1- When settting up the virutal server I had a list of servers to choose from (ex: Age of Empires, Doom... a long list) what is that ?

2- Why did we have to give the pc a static IP ? When the settings we'r putting are the same as the ones the modem is automaticaly assigning to my pc.

3- Befor I forwarded the port I noticed that the torrent was downloading, how come ?

Edit: I just thought I'd mention this. In my house we have the machine that connects all the phone together ( I don't know its name in english) it allows me to call another room in the house for example.

The main phone line goes into a splitter. After that point one cable goes into the aforementioned machine and the other straight to my modem.

Near this machine we have a kinda large UPS. As a result of their proximity we have a small amount of noise on the line. Just thought I'd let you know, may be thats affecting the ping.

Edit #2: Should I do the same thing for limewire to get ride of the "Limewire has detected a firewall" icon ? (the wall in front of the planet)

Thank you all for your help :)

ok I managed to open the port. I got a max speed of 51kb/s (this lasted for 1 second) and it kept on going back and forth between 48 and 50.

Great job, it looked kinda hard to me.

This is another speed test i took b4 starting the torrent.

292310075.png

This proves yet again that the speed is nearly constant, so you do not need to worry about that.

If nothing can be done about the speed, could just tell me what I need to tell my ISP about the ping ? What should it be ? and what should I say if he says that it shouldn't be like that and that its fine the way it is ? (btw if you notice the server I'm using for the speed test is in Haifa thats in occupied Palestine which is right next to me in Lebanon so isn't really weird that I'm getting a high ping ?)

First off I would like to ask you if you have two PC's? Since we should cross reference those ping results to rule out any hardware/software failure on your PC. Next I want you to do this: Start, Run, enter command.com and press Ok, enter ping www.google.com and press enter. Now you should see something like this: Answer from 'IP-Adres google': bytes=.. time=... ms TTL=... You see this three times if I am correct. I need you to post the numbers that are after time= here. Do the same with www.google.'your country (just like .co.uk or .nl)' Post the numbers that are after time= here too.

Also I'm going to google in a while what port forwarding is but if you could explain these things to me I'd appreciate it.

1- When settting up the virutal server I had a list of servers to choose from (ex: Age of Empires, Doom... a long list) what is that ?

2- Why did we have to give the pc a static IP ? When the settings we'r putting are the same as the ones the modem is automaticaly assigning to my pc.

3- Befor I forwarded the port I noticed that the torrent was downloading, how come ?

1) These are predefined rules for programs that are known to not work when behind such a router. If you enable such a rule, the program will work. If your programs already work but are still in the list, you don't have to worry and add them, just leave it as it is. Only add a program from that list when you're experiencing problems with it. I don't know if uTorrent was one of them, guess not, but if it was I'd still recommend just making your own rule(I call them rules since my router does so).

2) Because when you have more than one computer connecting to your router the first PC get the first IP in the IP-Range. The IP-Range of my router is 192.168.2.100 - 192.168.2.200 so when the first computer boots it would get IP 100, the second 101 and the third 102. But when you assign rules you assign them to a specific IP. So when I would make a rule for my PC(for instance 192.168.2.100) and I would turn my PC off and turn another PC off and on again, then that PC would get my IP and my rule would've been applied to that PC, which obviously has no need for this rule since all our PC's use different uTorrent ports.

3) Uhmmmmm, never really understood this too, but there is a reason :P It has something to do with torrents using multiple ways of connecting so seeds, so when this port is closed you are able to connect to some of the seeds, just not all. I think it's that, I'm not sure, but that's what logic tells me.

Edit: I just thought I'd mention this. In my house we have the machine that connects all the phone together ( I don't know its name in english) it allows me to call another room in the house for example. The main phone line goes into a splitter. After that point one cable goes into the aforementioned machine and the other straight to my modem. Near this machine we have a kinda large UPS. As a result of their proximity we have a small amount of noise on the line. Just thought I'd let you know, may be thats affecting the ping.

Is the modem close to this machine too? If yes, relocate it. I don't know if it has anything to do with your ping, but it's not good anyway. Are you using a Wireless connection from Modem/Router to computer? If yes, then relocating the modem as far away as possible from the UPS would probably solve the problem. Btw: Such a device is generally called a 'splitter' where I come from :P

Edit #2: Should I do the same thing for limewire to get ride of the "Limewire has detected a firewall" icon ? (the wall in front of the planet)

Yes :)

Thank you all for your help :D

That's what I'm here for, thanks for your appreciation :P

Hitman6267

Ping results.

for www.google.com :

448ms

444ms

447ms

444ms

for www.google.ae (there isn't a google address specificaly for my country but this was the closest thing I could find):

440ms

464ms

439ms

445ms

I don't think the machine is called a splitter, its the machine that lets you for example pickup a line in one room and then transfer to it to another room. Any way the UPS is close to the machine and we can't relocate either one. But the modem is in my room and is connected to my pc with a network cable.

I don't have two pcs, but I can test it using my phone (N95 8GB) that has wifi if that helps. I doubt that a hardware failure would be causing this.

What should I tell my ISP about the high ping rate ? What should it be ? and if they tell me its normal the way it is what should I tell them ?

Here is another speed test. The speed test generates an average of the speeds or just show the highest speed attained ? because in this one it says i reached 612kb/s when during the test it stayed at around 300 and at the end jumped to 400 something

292731881.png

Here are some info that might be usefull.

post-2083-1215353281_thumb.jpg

Ping results.

for www.google.com :

448ms

444ms

447ms

444ms

for www.google.ae (there isn't a google address specificaly for my country but this was the closest thing I could find):

440ms

464ms

439ms

445ms

What should I tell my ISP about the high ping rate ? What should it be ? and if they tell me its normal the way it is what should I tell them?

Those results are what was to be expected... But I hoped for something else. I need some help here, but I think I'm theoretically right here: When he would try to ping his ISP server and his result was around 400 ms too, that would mean that the problem lies in either the cable from ISP to Hitman or something on his side, right? Please someone, confirm this. In any case you should contact your ISP and tell them about the high pings which aren't acceptable, they will probably tell you some story about it not being their fault. When they do so tell the story I just told, about the pinging to your ISP server with which you are connected. Ask them if they can give you the IP of the server you are connected to(they will probably need your IP, you can either find this in your router or by using this site: whatismyip.com) and try to ping it the same way you did Google. The results will determine whether it's your fault or theirs. Your ping should be about 50 ms or less when connecting to a server nearby.

I don't think the machine is called a splitter, its the machine that lets you for example pickup a line in one room and then transfer to it to another room. Any way the UPS is close to the machine and we can't relocate either one. But the modem is in my room and is connected to my pc with a network cable.

I don't have two pcs, but I can test it using my phone (N95 8GB) that has wifi if that helps. I doubt that a hardware failure would be causing this.

Ah well, I know what you mean that's what it's about. So you're saying your modem isn't close to any electrical equipment? If your Nokia is able to ping, it'd be great to test it to rule out the problem lying in your computer. I doubt this too, but it just might... Let's be thorough. If your Nokia isn't, or if you have one of these nearby, try to borrow a laptop of someone and connect it to(preferably) another cable that you place in another slot of the modem(if there's more, if not place it in the same slot but do try to use a different cable). If this solves the issue, try using the same cable. Still solved? It's your PC. If not solved by any? We'll have to get back on our jobs.

Here is another speed test. The speed test generates an average of the speeds or just show the highest speed attained ? because in this one it says i reached 612kb/s when during the test it stayed at around 300 and at the end jumped to 400 something

292731881.png

I guess it's the highest speed you attained.

Here are some info that might be usefull.

Not useful, I'm sorry :) Can't see anything in that. I'm not an expert in things like this, in fact I never helped anyone solve a problem like this... I just try to do the best I can at locating the problem and then we'll have to figure out a way on how to solve it.

Sorry for sending a PM, I read your post here, but didn't have time to reply that time. So I just forgot about it :( I'm sorry. If my replies take longer than a day or two, please send me a PM :lol: Except when noted in my signature or Custom member title that I'm gone for some time of course ;)

; shought

Hitman6267

Thank you very much Shought for your help and follow through, but about pinging my ISP server, what exactly should I tell them to give me ? The IP of the server that gives me internet ? and why would the need my IP if I'm the one pinging ?

Thank you very much Shought for your help and follow through, but about pinging my ISP server, what exactly should I tell them to give me ? The IP of the server that gives me internet ? and why would the need my IP if I'm the one pinging ?

The IP address of their server to which you are connecting, this is the server through which you get connection to the Internet. They will need your IP since they (most likely) have several of these servers and don't know to which you are connected. With your IP they probably can find out. If they can't give it for some reason, then start asking them everything about how you can locate/solve your problem with the high ping and what might be causing it. Note the things they tell you and post them here.

Hitman6267

will do thank you :D

Edit:

I called them today, he said that the ping is well in normal range and that he pinged google from what he called a real IP and got 300 smth. He told me it has something to do with the routing, I understood it has smth to do with my country's infrastructure. And he also said that at peak times it may get a little bit higher which is weird because Shought told me that peak times have nothing to do with ping times.

will do thank you :)

Edit:

I called them today, he said that the ping is well in normal range and that he pinged google from what he called a real IP and got 300 smth. He told me it has something to do with the routing, I understood it has smth to do with my country's infrastructure. And he also said that at peak times it may get a little bit higher which is weird because Shought told me that peak times have nothing to do with ping times.

Well, pings 'shouldn't' have anything to do with peak times, as far as I'm concerned... Since a ping is just 32 bytes which every connection should be able to handle at the same speed at all time, hope you understand what I'm saying? Your connection should at all time be able to send/receive 32 byes in less than 50 ms(a server nearby) and less than 250 ms(a server at long distance). This is what I know of pings. If he says it's normal... Then I'd check other friends close to you :D And ask them to ping to google.ae and google.com and tell you their results... If they all have the same results, the man is right about it being 'normal'(relative) in your region, but I know it's not in the Netherlands nor is it in the UK and the USA... But if some friends nearby get results from 0-200 then he's not right at all and there is a problem in either their server/cable or your PC/modem/cable.

ps. better not edit your posts since then I might miss it :D Just post a new post :(

I did that already, i used a friend's connection (ADSL 256) who lives in the street next time me, i got ~250. But when I pinged google from another friend's connection who uses another ISP but who also has a speed of 512 he got the same ping rates as I did.

About the editing thing I did that because in most forums double posting is frowned upon and I didn't feel like getting accused of trying to raise my post count...

Edit: I turned off the UPS and the machine I told you about and tested the ping still got ~450ms.

I did that already, i used a friend's connection (ADSL 256) who lives in the street next time me, i got ~250. But when I pinged google from another friend's connection who uses another ISP but who also has a speed of 512 he got the same ping rates as I did.

Edit: I turned off the UPS and the machine I told you about and tested the ping still got ~450ms.

Hmmm, then I guess a ping like that really is normal where you live :( I'm sorry man! That means no online gaming for you, even if they didn't kick you, you probably would suck because you got a delay of half a second. You could try shooting in front of your enemies in their expected path :D If the guys over at your ISP say it's normal and your friend has about the same pings... I can't help you. I'm sorry :D

About the editing thing I did that because in most forums double posting is frowned upon and I didn't feel like getting accused of trying to raise my post count...

Double posting would be when you post 2 or more posts in the same topic in about the same time, but there was a day of delay between your first post and your 'second post'. So no double posting :) This is just an 'unwritten rule' and of course has a lot of exceptions and stuff :D

ok thank you a lot for the help :)

Any time ;) I'm sorry for not being able to find a solution, most likely there is none...

Archived