Microsoft's Essentials bet pays off

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

If you're not using Microsoft Security Essentials, you're not following the crowd. Use of the lightweight security suite exploded last year, reports a study on security suite market share.

Posted Image

OPSWAT's bar chart shows worldwide market share by percentage for security suites. Not surprisingly, free suites dominate.

While Avast dominates worldwide security suite usage, and Symantec leads in North America, Microsoft Security Essentials is rising fast, says a new study by OPSWAT, a software development tool and data service company in San Francisco.

OPSWAT's numbers confirm that free suites drive personal computer security, not surprising given the non-existent cost. From March 2011 to February 2012, Avast, AVG, Avira, and Microsoft combined for nearly half of the worldwide security suite market. While it's true that Avast, AVG, and Avira all have paid upgrades, and those companies won't reveal how many people use their free versus paid products, it's commonly believed that the vast majority of the people running them are running the free versions.

Avast clocks in with 16.26 percent, Avira at 11.65 percent, AVG at 10.96 percent, and Microsoft at 10.08 percent. The only paid suites that reach similar market share were ESET (10.06 percent) and Symantec (9.97 percent).

Posted Image

This pie chart shows the relative differences in North American security suite market share, according to OPSWAT.

North American market share reflects the same security suite makers, but with different rankings. Symantec comes in first in North America with 16.09 percent, followed closely by Microsoft at 14.92 percent. AVG has 13.22 percent, Avast notches 11.96 percent, with ESET far behind in the number five slot at 7.06 percent of the market.

Far and away, more people starting using Security Essentials in the past year than any other suite. Worldwide it jumped from 7.27 percent in 2010-2011 to 10.08 percent in 2011-2012, while in North America it rocketed from 9.94 percent to 14.92 percent.

The only software publisher in the top 5 to lose market share both globally and in North America was Avast, although OPSWAT doesn't clarify what suite they went to, if any, or even if the sample size has changed.

Posted Image View: Original Article

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

As soon as my genuine ESET licence expires, I'm going to try MSE again. :)

But wait, people use ESET more than Symantec and Kaspersky? :w00t:

OrbingStorm

Ive been using mse since its inception and i think its great.....its a no hassles solution and for free.Its even picked up the odd malmare or two.

MSE is pushed by M$.

If MSE not installed in a system & has other anti virus & other tools then Windows 7 Action center keeps on saying that antivirus not installed or firewall not installed.

If MSE installed , then Action center shows correctly what softwares installed & updated.......

MSE can be sluggish. On opening a folder containing many .exe's it grinds to a halt almost. It has a nice basic GUI, although its malware detection rate isnt exactly stellar. I'll stick to ESET, one of the few anti malware solutions that actually scans ALL files by default and has the fastest realtime performance. Other suites merely scan a default set of extensions. Obviously developers are going to tweak the scanning of such content to obtain best performance. Besides ESET has best proactive protection. When a piece of malware disables your internet connection suites like symantec lose their sonar module, it is effectively rendered useless.

• Administrator

MSE is pushed by M$.

If MSE not installed in a system & has other anti virus & other tools then Windows 7 Action center keeps on saying that antivirus not installed or firewall not installed.

If MSE installed , then Action center shows correctly what softwares installed & updated.......

Using ESET. Action Center reports it fine.

Posted Image

Also, as soon as firewall or protection module is disabled, it starts alerting.

MSE is pushed by M$.

Using ESET. Action Center reports it fine.

Posted Image

Also, as soon as firewall or protection module is disabled, it starts alerting.

Is MSE or Windows defender installed on your system?

MSE is pushed by M$.

No it doesn't in my experience. Anyways, turn off all notifications.

As soon as my genuine ESET licence expires, I'm going to try MSE again. :)

But wait, people use ESET more than Symantec and Kaspersky? :w00t:

Yep. Not a surprise. Like Internet Explorer is still a popular browser, no matter how many better alternatives out there... ;)

Have used Avast, Avira, AVG, MSE, NOD32, KIS, NIS, Quick Heal but happiest with Avast and MSE (if you can live with the pathetic scan speeds and zero personalization options, that is). I also hate the fact that it auto updates without any consent from the user. Avast prolly has the best balance.

Haven't used NIS in over a decade, and would like to keep it that way. Terrible experience both in terms of scan speeds as well as performance with real time protection turned on. I've been given to understand that McAfee falls in the same category as well.

My choice would be Avast for free and KIS if you're feeling flush ;)

• Administrator

Is MSE or Windows defender installed on your system?

Nope.

Almost all my friends use antivirus free, 50/70 euro are too many years for this moment of global crisis

Avast most widely used antivirus, uTorrent most popular P2P

According to Opswat, a software development company based in San Francisco, Avast continues to be the world's preferred antivirus. Avast was found on more than 16 percent of computers worldwide. For the past few years, Avast has topped the survey (pdf), but the total number of Avast users has been slowly slipping.

Opswat's data was collected via opt-in middleware, software partnerships and its own app removal utility. The sample included over 353,000 data points from systems across the globe. The reports are typically released annually in March.

Interestingly, the same top 10 antivirus utilities from last year's report are in the top 10 this year. However, their positions at the top of the list have changed slightly. Most dramatically, Microsoft Security Essentials has jumped from the bottom of that last to fourth place. Avira and AVG placed second and third, respectively.

Microsoft's Security Essentials enjoyed a 30 percent jump and showed the largest market share gains of any antivirus security product, topping 10 percent.

In North America, Microsoft Security Essentials also enjoys a comfortable lead with just over 14.5 percent. That's about 5.5 percent more than runner-up, Avast, with just over 9 percent of market.

For 2012 thus far, Symantec is tops in North America. Norton products seem to be eeking out dominance by just a couple of percentage points at 16.09 percent. MSSE follows closely behind while AVG places third.

P2P programs installed on user's computers were also included in the report. Opswat found that uTorrent was by far the most popular P2P tool on systems with a whopping 36.86 percent market share.

The next most popular P2P utility was music-centric Ares, a program which was discovered on 14.79 percent of computers in the report.

Original article: http://anonymz.com/h...2p-utility.html

Archived