I have a BackTrack 3,

just wondering which is better if I decide to run it on a disk,

CD or DVD ?

Thank you.

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CD is much faster because of the low disk space and fast read/write.

Yup that's true using a CD is much faster due to the low disk space when reading BackTrack 3 or any other version

CD Speed:

````````````````

1X CD =150 KBps

52X CD = 7,800 KBps / 1024 = 7.61 MBps

DVD Speed:

``````````````````

1X DVD =1.35 MBps (1,350KBps).

8X DVD = 10.80 MBps

16X DVD = 21.6 MBps

20X DVD = 27.0 MBps

The data transfer rate from a DVD-ROM disc at 1x speed is roughly equivalent to a 9x CD-ROM drive (1x CD-ROM data transfer rate is 150 KB/s, or 0.146 MB/s).

DVD physical spin rate is about 3 times faster than CD (that is, 1x DVD spin ~ 3x CD spin), but most DVD-ROM drives increase motor speed when reading CD-ROMs, achieving 12x or faster performance.

A drive listed as "16x/40x" reads a DVD at 16 times normal, or a CD at 40 times normal. DVD-ROM drives are available in 1x, 2x, 4x, 4.8x, 5x, 6x, 8x, 10x, and 16x speeds, although they usually don't achieve sustained transfer at their full rating.

The "max" in DVD and CD speed ratings means that the listed speed only applies when reading data at the outer edge of the disc, which moves faster.

The average data rate is lower than the max rate. Most 1x DVD-ROM drives have a seek time of 85-200 ms and access time of 90-250 ms. Newer drives have seek times as low as 45 ms.

-----

The data above is a little older, but still applies I believe. Saying that, the above responses would be drastically "wrong". Whose to say.

Usually DVDs are usually found upto 8x and CDs are found upto 52x... :huh:

• Administrator

Yes, DVD transfer rates are faster than normal CDs. You guys should burn few DVDs. :)

Yes, DVD transfer rates are faster than normal CDs. You guys should burn few DVDs. :)

:( my burner is dead :(

Usually DVDs are usually found upto 8x and CDs are found upto 52x... :huh:

That CDs are faster than DVDs is just another urban myth. The 8x speed of a DVD is much much higher than the 52x speed of a CD.

Posted Image

my info were updated thanks RocketMan :)

Archived