Boot Manager Missing? (windows 7)

Win7nerd

im in a bit of a pickle.....i recently installed, well reinstalled windows 7 ultimate. and when i take the disc out after updating OR just generally restarting my blasted computer says my boot manager is missing? WTF!?!?!?! ive got to keep the disc in the drive for it to work right! ive tried repairing windows installations with the disc and all. BUT it says no errors detected when i run the repair tool. i was thinking maybe if i flah my bios will it hurt to do that? ive got a asus M2A-VM motherboard and im unsure what to do, keep in mind i HAVE burned the disc at slowest speed! TWO times.

(sorry for the double post)

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try this:

Put the Win7 disc in, reboot, and "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

Get to the "Repair your computer" section

At the System Recovery Options choose Command Prompt.

At the command prompt type "bcdboot c:\windows /l en-us" (without the quotes) and press enter

(Make sure "c:\" is changed to the partition you installed Win7 to)

Reboot

ive done a few other tricks like one ive found using comand prompt:

bootrec/fixboot

bootrec/fixMbr

bootrec/RebuildBcd

the above didnt work :( but iill try yours spudboy..lol

anyone else have suggestions?

as an update it failed to recognize the command and YES i put it in right i checked 5 times :(, all the sudden it just started happening after i reformatted, now is there a way i can copy said boot-manager in safe mode? to my hard drive?

SnakeMasteR

A copy&paste solution. ^_^

You can rebuild the BCD store by using the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment.

To do this, follow these steps: - Get your Windows 7 installation DVD and pop it into your drive.

- Then restart your computer.

- Press a key when you are prompted.

- Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next

- Click Repair your computer

- Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next

- In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt

- Type bootrec /rebuildbcd and then press ENTER

• If Bootrec runs successfully, it will present you with the installation path of a Windows directory.

To add the entry to the BCD store, type Yes . A confirmation message appears that indicates the

entry was added successfully.

• If Bootrec cannot locate any missing Windows installations, you must remove the BCD store, and

then you must re-create it. To do this, type the following commands in the order shown below:

(Remember to press ENTER after each command)

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /rebuildbcd

- Restart the computer.

Credits

heres something strange, ok i had to go into my bios settings and reset it, something having to do with the time, so i reset all back to default and BOOM all was well again.....talk about strange occurrences :huh: :huh: :wtf: my guess it had nothing to do with the boot manager, i simply reset(actually updated) my bios settings and all was well, sooooo all this command prompt stuff was in good faith but ultimately useless, i do thank you all who helped me! it hasn't gone unnoticed :D i no longer have to have the disc in, while booting up.

i was a little baffled my self. :s :angry: :lol:

SnakeMasteR

Good that you solved it by yourself, maybe the same thing occurs another time and you know exactly what to do. :lol:

Archived