Combination TroubleShoot (Both Soft/Hard Ware)

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Hey,

As the Summer comes to an end so does my crappy computer... So now I am slowly upgrading it rather than rebuilding a new computer... Even thought that might save me money in the long run...

beause recently I upgrade my Video Card from a ATI 8500LE ---> Nvidia XFX 6600 GT

Replaced 2 of my Fans... Sucks that my Case isn't really designed for good Cooling/Air Flow since after thinking about it.. Lol I have to leave my Case Open whenever I use it or else it heats up pretty fast...

Now I was thinking of buying a New Hard Drive... Since I don't really want to go through the Hassle of Reformatting my Current HD's knowing that there are some things on it that I can't Back-Up due to Size... And I want to test out Vista just to see the Stability...

What is a good Hard Drive? I mean I don't need the Top of Line / Largest GB HD... Since I think 120 is WOAH for me already... Right now I currently use a Western Digital 40GB, and I think I want to keep that as a back-Up rather then Formatting it to test the other OS's and find out they aren't worth it and having to ReFormat it again... (So whatever recommendations you have I would love to hear and it would be nice for like a Price with it... Can't really search it myself since I not much of a Hardware persont o know what is good/ bad)

---TroubleShooting/ Questions---

If I did buy a new Harddrive... And decide to install... Vista, what exactly is the Difference? I mean would I still be able to use all the software I was before and play CS:Source? (Edited 64Bit didn't know my PRoc had to be 64bit =X)

---Thanks for any advice that will be given in advance---

• Replies 9
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

About your heat "problems", what tempretures does everything reach with the case closed? (and running for a good few hours). How are your fans set up?

Western Digital, Samsung and Seagate all make reliable hard drives. Maxtor and IBM/Hitachi are sometimes regarded as unreliable. Just make sure the drive you get is 7200+ RPM and has 8mb+ cache. Does your motherboard support SATA? If so SATA is the way to go...

Vista is a new operating system. Its well away from a final release. Dont bother with it.

SacredCultivator

With the Case Closed... it can reach about Low-High 120's... Farenheit of course... Opposed to when it is Open just mid 110's...

My Fans I have 3 Case fans... 1 In Exhaust(Back), 2 in Intake(Front) btu then like my case isn't really designed for the Intake in my Opinion since I dont' see how Air can go in... Witht he front being all sealed and stuff... (If you asked what Case I have... I can't let you know since I don't even know)

As for the Hard Drive how to check if my Mobo suppots SATA? I doubt it does since it is pretty old... It is a EpoX 8RDA+ (Not PRO)

Well I shall ask my Friend to accompany me to buy one... ANd now knowing that Vista is still 'Beta-ish/leaked' my friend has a copy but I don't have a DVD Drive to read his DVD-R.. so I now have a New question.. What is a good DVD Burner? Haha and like Price Range... I dont' necessarily need a Top of the Line one.. Just a decent one...

Thanks Lite for the Help

• Administrator

What are we on about with the temps? The CPU?

I had a quick look at your motherboard, it doesnt support SATA. Just buy a normal IDE hard drive. There's no real difference in speed between ATA-100 and ATA133, so dont be put off by an ATA-100 drive. Just make sure it has the 8mb cache and spins at 7200RPM (or better). Personally, im gonna buy a 160GB seagate drive in the next week or so (because its cheaper than the western digitals/ samsungs), only a couple of £'s difference though.

If you want quality with your DVD Writer, get Plextor (because they are prolly the best). Otherwise, NEC, LiteON and samsung drives are good.

SacredCultivator

CPU is 120's, Case: 90's

Yeah Still sorta bleh on the HD since that is harder to pick with sooo many... DVD Drive is a tad easier...

But yeah... I not sure what diff of the ATA- 100 and ATA133...

• Administrator

Both temps are nothing to be worried about....

Alledelgy the ATA133 drives transfer data at upto 133mb/s(ATA-100 @ 100mb/s), realistically you'll be lucky to get even 100, let alone the 133....

SacredCultivator

Alrights...

Bah... For the HD... After checking Price Ranges.. Ouch they are quite pricey in my Opinion... I mean my friend thought he had one with at $70 Rebate for a 160GB SeaGate but it expired =/

With the Case Closed... it can reach about Low-High 120's... Farenheit of course... Opposed to when it is Open just mid 110's...

My Fans I have 3 Case fans... 1 In Exhaust(Back), 2 in Intake(Front) btu then like my case isn't really designed for the Intake in my Opinion since I dont' see how Air can go in... Witht he front being all sealed and stuff... (If you asked what Case I have... I can't let you know since I don't even know)

As for the Hard Drive how to check if my Mobo suppots SATA? I doubt it does since it is pretty old... It is a EpoX 8RDA+ (Not PRO)

Well I shall ask my Friend to accompany me to buy one... ANd now knowing that Vista is still 'Beta-ish/leaked' my friend has a copy but I don't have a DVD Drive to read his DVD-R.. so I now have a New question.. What is a good DVD Burner? Haha and like Price Range... I dont' necessarily need a Top of the Line one.. Just a decent one...

Thanks Lite for the Help

If you just want to read ur friend's DVD, u can just get a DVD Rom drive.. It doesnt have ta be a writer and thus will be cheaper...

As for the harddrive.. You could always just create a virtual PC to test out Vista..

Buying a second harddrive for a beta OS just isnt worth it.... neither is formating ur currrent harddrive..

As for backup files.... surely u dont have files over 700MBs? Cause then u can just burn them to a CD (assuming u got a cd burner..) That or span them across multiple floppies :P :P

Archived