Zhone modem 6218-I2-302

Hitman6267

I got DSL and my ISP installed this modem http://www.zhone.com/products/6218/ Zhone modem 6218-I2-302 is it any good ? Its wifi range isnt going it for me. Its not even reaching 8 meters in range there are walls but would stop it from reaching 8 lousy meters ?! (8 meters = 26.2467192 feet according to google) On the site they say its range is around 100ft

P.S: when posting the link i got "You have entered a link to a website that the administrator does not allow links to" if any one could clarify.

• Replies 10
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use your PC/Laptop to check if there are any more Wireless networks close that are using the same channel(1-11 if i recall correctly). Try to pick a channel that is as far away of the used numbers as possible. So for example when 3, 7 and 11 are used you should pick 9 or 5 ;) After(or before, your pick) you did that, try placing the modem in a place with low electronics/radio. So don't place it near a stereo, TV or anything like that. (Just move it as far as possible away from electricity). Last thing you could try, don't know if it is possible, but you might have a antenna that you can replace, just place it further away from the modem or if you can 'unplug' it then try finding a cable which you can use to connect the antenna to the router.

:) Hope this helps!

Edit: I also found you this link. Be sure to read that ;) It includes some of the stuff i mentioned, but more!

thanks shoughts the channel thing I didn't think of. Does any one that if wood interferes a lot with the signal ?

Here's a snapshot of the settings I have:

post-2083-1213211325_thumb.jpg

any one have any recommendation ?

For the channel thing I have an "Auto" option what does it do ?, I'm going to google it later but if any one already knows please post.

Just try all channels :) But first try Auto, it might locate the best channel, don't think so, but it just might!

I solved my signal strengh problem by putting the modem on a hight shelf.

Can the wifi connection be used to share files ?

How do you mean 'to share files'? You mean can it be used for P2P? Or used to share files with neighbors and such?

I think the answer to both is yes, but for the second you need to make a network with all the people you want to share files with.

I mean't sharing files not p2p. Like for example accessing my desktop's files from my laptop. I'm googling it but so far everything I find is about sharing an internet connection through the wifi connection.

I mean't sharing files not p2p. Like for example accessing my desktop's files from my laptop. I'm googling it but so far everything I find is about sharing an internet connection through the wifi connection.

Ah, that shouldn't be that hard. You should put the computers in the same network. When installing them they got in a workgroup, like MSHOME or something. To check what workgroup your computer is in click Start, My computer, Right click, Properties, Computer name and check what is behind workgroup on both computers. Are they the same? Then you don't have to change it, are they different? Change one so they match.

Next up: Making them share a connection!

The terms i use might be slightly different from the ones windows uses, since i have to translate dutch-->english.

Start, Configuration, Network and Internet connections, Network wizard.

Press next, (If it asks you a yes or no question here press no). Now comes the guessing, you have to guess what kind of a network setup you have for it to work right, just try them a few times. I think it is the second of the first page, or the first of the second page(second page: select other and press next). I'll tell you how to see if it works later. So first try the second of the first page, do this on both computers. Click next, enter a name for your PC, enter the network name, leave it when they are the same on both PC's, Enable file and printer sharing and check all settings and press next. Now it will take some time and do it's thing. Remember: run this wizard on both computers. The go to C:/Documents and settings/Yourname/ and rightclick the 'My documents' folder, properties, sharing tab, select 'Make this folder a shared network folder' and give it a name, select 'Network users are allowed to edit my files'. Press Apply, wait for it to finish and press Ok. Do this on both computers and after that restart them.

Now go to My network locations and click Search for computers in my network. Now you can see all computers connected to your network. Select the one you want to visit and go in there :)

• 3 weeks later...
@Shought, how do you check whether one channel already is used or not? Just try at random?

My laptop had an utility that came with it to see which networks were near you and you could connect too and it showed the channel number too... But I guess there's more programs like this, I'll do a quick search for you in a minute. Maybe the windows default utility for handling Wireless connection is able to do this, I don't know.

Archived