Combining my internet access

Hitman6267

Hitman6267

Hello, I just got DSL but the ISP didn't tell me that they were going to set it up yesterday so a couple of days ago I recharged a broadband account i had with them. The broadband is set up as follow. A wireless receiver (a wireless smth) on the roof of my building attached toa router which is attached to a hub or switch in my house (not sure) that is connected to netwok cables in my house.

The current way my DSL works. Disconnecting the wirelesss receiver from the hub. Connecting the ADSL modem instead.

Can I combine both internet ? my broadband is 128k and dsl is 512 so would I get a speed of 640k ?

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think this is possible... If you just use Wireless and Wired internet on your PC it will pick one(i guess Wired, if working, otherwise Wireless). Hope i understood you correctly, because it's quite hard to see what you exactly want.

Hitman6267

At my computer level everything is wired. Let me try and explain it in another way.

My pc is connected to a switch. If i want to use my broadband connection I have to connect Cable A into the switch and configure my network connection with IPs for it to work.

To use my DSL connection. I have to connect my ADSL modem which is connected to a phone line to my pc using a LAN cable disconnecting my broaband connection and choosing obtain IP automaticaly.

Tomorrow I'm going to see if a spare network card that I have is still working and am going to connect my broadband cable to it and bridge the DSL and broadband connections. That way both connections would be working together right ?

At my computer level everything is wired. Let me try and explain it in another way.

My pc is connected to a switch. If i want to use my broadband connection I have to connect Cable A into the switch and configure my network connection with IPs for it to work.

To use my DSL connection. I have to connect my ADSL modem which is connected to a phone line to my pc using a LAN cable disconnecting my broaband connection and choosing obtain IP automaticaly.

Tomorrow I'm going to see if a spare network card that I have is still working and am going to connect my broadband cable to it and bridge the DSL and broadband connections. That way both connections would be working together right ?

:wacko: I've had a little too many drinks... But i'm almost sure that if i wouldn't have had those, i would still not understand! I think you're right, but you will only find out by trying it :P Like you just said yourself :dance2:

• 1 month later...

And, have you tried?

I think it's impossible to combine two connections (today, but maybe tomorrow...). Windows will probably just go with the fastest connection available.

Hello, I just got DSL but the ISP didn't tell me that they were going to set it up yesterday so a couple of days ago I recharged a broadband account i had with them. The broadband is set up as follow. A wireless receiver (a wireless smth) on the roof of my building attached toa router which is attached to a hub or switch in my house (not sure) that is connected to netwok cables in my house.

The current way my DSL works. Disconnecting the wirelesss receiver from the hub. Connecting the ADSL modem instead.

Can I combine both internet ? my broadband is 128k and dsl is 512 so would I get a speed of 640k ?

One word....no...........this is from "ask yahoo"

Only if the connections have two different WAN connections will it be beneficial to bridge the connections - your internet bandwidth will be the sum of the two WAN connections. If they are both on the same WAN connection, then it won't make your internet faster.

For regular LAN and file transfer, there is no point unless the other computer has bridges NICs, but its just LAN SMB sharing anyway...

• 2 months later...
PsychoticxBloodxLust

i have my wireless and 2 Lan Ports bridged looks decent lol and i only use the one lanport unless my roomate wants to lan game here at the college cause the wireless is setup wrong we can't see each other in lan games. if if he plugs in i have to disable my interenet so we can lan. its retarded for some games the bridge lets keep a netconnection and host a lan game others i have to disable my net connection and the gay thing is is my computer is acting like a router for him lol he can surf though my PC and i havn't had time to figure out what services i need to kill so he stays local lol

and ya i ramble might make sense might not who cares lol

Archived