Symantec blames Microsoft for XP SP3 registry corruption

Lite

• Administrator

Symantec on Thursday said it was Microsoft's code that crippled some PCs after upgrades to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) emptied Device Manager, deleted network connections, and packed the registry with thousands of bogus entries.

"We finally got to the bottom of this last night," said Dave Cole, Symantec's senior director for product management of its consumer software. "All of these problems are related to the same thing, a Microsoft file that created all the garbage entries [in the registry]."

He also said that some of the same symptoms had been acknowledged by Microsoft when users updated to Windows XP SP2 several years ago; Cole referenced a pair of Microsoft support documents to back up his claim.

Two weeks ago, after Microsoft launched Windows XP SP3 on Windows Update, users started reporting that their network cards and previously crafted connections had mysteriously vanished from Windows after updating with the service pack. The Device Manager had been emptied, they said, and Windows' registry, a directory that stores settings and other critical information, had been packed with large numbers of bogus entries.

Most users who posted messages on Microsoft's XP SP3 support forum said that the errant registry keys -- which started with characters such as "$%&" and appeared corrupted at first glance -- were located in sections devoted to settings for Symantec products. Not surprisingly, they quickly pinned blame on the security company.

Earlier this week, Symantec denied that its software was at fault, and instead pointed a finger at Microsoft.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 11
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So...who to believe??? Microsoft that has a history of sending out patches ( and software) that are not fully tested for this type of problems... OR Symantec that has good software but is known for problems just like Microsoft when you want uninstall their products and or is known to write code for programs that are problematic like this instance. Does not Microsoft send advance copies of their major release patches to companies like Symantec just so problems like this will NOT happen... or is the feud with these two companies so deep that they both simply do not want to share resources to stop problems like this to happen to their customer base...either way we the end user of both their products are left with a huge problem that each one of them will just blame the other for... solution... stop buying their software and operating systems until their corporate attitudes change...after all how long can they expect us to bend over and keep taking this. :unsure:

as well they should, m$ fkin SUCKS!

It's probably both their fault, both because they are are assholes.

Get Linux and you don't have any problems with M$ or with antivirus programs.

Funny I never had this problem with SP3 - my Organization was initially against mass deployment of SP3 to all the machines, hence it was tried on my laptop which was monitored very closely for side effects. The entire registry was snapshot as were also each & every file system (before the experimentation.) Presently all our machines are running SP3 after the successful run on mine.

That said, none of us use Symantec - there's a possibility that those affected must be running both (SP3 as well as Symantec.)

BTW, all three are assholes - Microsoft, Symantec & and anyone who uses both together. :lol:

Linux for What?You can"t do anything on it!The programs made for Windows don"t work on LINUX(SUCKS).And Alot of People are using WindowsPs:Linux is the worst Os ever made :lol:

bearoninternet

Linux for What?You can"t do anything on it!The programs made for Windows don"t work on LINUX(SUCKS).And Alot of People are using WindowsPs:Linux is the worst Os ever made ;)

Obviously another happy windows ME user. :lol:

was people having trouble with the pre releases of xp sp3? i almost believe that they did it on purpose because xp sp3 was kicking vista azz

voodoohippie

Don't get me started about how bad Vista sucks. Probably because M$ wanted to put some of Vista's components on Windows XP SP3. By the way if your a MagicJack user don't install SP3 for your MagicJack will discontinue to operate as posted by MagicJack. Turn OFF your auto update. From now on just use good anti virus software and don't update to SP3.

Vista is having problems with its update and using MagicJack as well. Vista is very horrible.

Linux will run Windows programs through an application called Wine. And if you use Fedora or Mepis I think you'll like Linux a lot better. I don't know if you can use Zoomtext with Linux with wine I'm trying to find out. If you can Linux I'm going all the way when Windows XP is scrapped in June 08.

Linux for What?You can"t do anything on it!The programs made for Windows don"t work on LINUX(SUCKS).And Alot of People are using WindowsPs:Linux is the worst Os ever made ;)

• 1 month later...
laxkwalaams

ever since my servicepack 3 update,i have lost my media player,an some videos will not play...............

Archived