Will WindowBlinds improving performance?

spasserfan

spasserfan

It is said that because the GUI of Vista runs on the graphic hardware, the system will have more resources free to run other applications.

Will WindowBlinds also move resources from the CPU/RAM to the graphic card and therefore give more free resources to run other applications on XP? I guess if a skin uses sounds it might also use CPU time, but will animations make a difference since they are run on the graphic card?

Last question: if one replaces the standard XP skin with a simple WindowBlinds skin (one without sounds, animations, glass) will that give an improvement in performance? I can recall that I once red somewhere that WindowBlinds actually used less RAM than the standard XP Theme.

One little improvement in performance might not be noticed, but if all the small improvements is accumulated you will notice them ;)

• Replies 6
  • Views 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think WindowBlinds moves resources from CPU to GPU. Almost sure.

It will make a big difference when all system animations and stuff is run on the GPU.

You'll have to experiment which skin uses least resources, but RAM doesn't say all... One might use more CPU than the other.

I have no luck with WindowsBlinds. I've previously tried it twice and after installation my PC BSOD. I have no idea why though. You can try StyleXP. It does improve the performance and the experience of your interface usage though, which is pressing Start and navigating you programs becomes faster and you can have the visual styles or themes that you like with an expense in the memory usage.

spasserfan
I don't think WindowBlinds moves resources from CPU to GPU. Almost sure.

It will make a big difference when all system animations and stuff is run on the GPU.

You'll have to experiment which skin uses least resources, but RAM doesn't say all... One might use more CPU than the other.

I use the unattended version of WindowsBlinds by eXPerience found on the TinyXP Platinum Edtion2 and i run it on my Tiny2003.

With no facts to back up my words, they are merely words but..

I have tried WindowsBlinds and other programs to give your OS a makeup and with every program i sense

a pretty obvious drop in performance.

I never use any programs to make-up my OS, im just patching the uxtheme files and install themes manually in the resources/themes folder.

check out this custom windowsXP sp3 :unsure: (includes windowsblinds6.1)

http://87.233.179.135/details.php?id=392cce440bf914b03236dfdc4e302ef4ccd810c7

Archived