Microsoft: Hotmail has better spam protection than Gmail

nsane.forums

Microsoft has announced that its Hotmail service offers better spam protection than Gmail and any other email service, based on its own reports as well as a third party study.

In January, Microsoft showed Gmail users how to switch over their accounts to Microsoft's Hotmail. Today, Microsoft launched another volley in its war with Google's Gmail. In a new post on the Windows Live blog, Microsoft said its own research, combined with a third party study, show that Hotmail offers the best spam protection of any email service.

The third party study came from Cascade Insights. The company ran a similar study back in 2009, where it said that Gmail had the best spam protection. In the new report, Cascade Insights said that it created email addresses for Hotmail, Gmail and Yahoo Mail and posted those address on Facebook pages. blog sites and other placed on the Internet. The group also signed up for a number of web-based services with those email addresses.

The final results, which were conducted over five weeks, were that the Hotmail email addresses got had spam 48.57 percent of the time in its inbox, just slightly better than Gmail which had spam mail 48.88 percent of the time.

Yahoo Mail was a distant third with 58.33 percent of spam mail in the study's email accounts. In an article at the New York Times web site reporting on the study results, a representative from Yahoo disputed the methodology behind the study.

Microsoft says that its own research confirms that spam showing up in a Hotmail inbox has been greatly reduced over the past few years since the company has been implementing its SmartScreen technology. It now claims that an average Hotmail account now has spam email showing up just 3 percent of the time in the inbox.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be true (even if it is there's just a 0.3 procent difference), but one thing I am sure of: Gmail has much less false positives.

I've been using Live Mail as well as Gmail for 5 years now, and in no way, Live Mail comes even close to Gmail's spam protection.

I've been using Live Mail as well as Gmail for 5 years now, and in no way, Live Mail comes even close to Gmail's spam protection.

Yup I agree with this. I get 15 spam mails per day on hotmail whereas I get maybe 1 spam in gmail per month. One time I came home and saw 50 spam mails in my hotmail junk folder. Now honestly I think some of those android apps collect ur email address and sell it to spammers cuz I certainly noticed an increase in hotmail spam since I started using that "messenger with you" app but that might be coincidence. The spam in hotmail doesn't really bother me because I use exclusive filtering to only allow contact list and safe list but the idea is that very obvious spam mails are still transported though hotmail which means their spam prevention sucks compared to gmail.

Archived