45-minute wait between downloads

mars_army

Hi guys,

I completely understand why you would implement the 45-minute to download the same file twice, but here is a scenario that really bugs me:

I have Avast Home edition running, and when I attempt to download certain patches, IE Trillian Pro, Avast blocks the download because the patch

was detected as malware. Avast automatically blocks the download, and this counts as a download on nsane, meaning I now have to wait

another 45 minutes to get the file.

I know there are several counter-arguments to this:

-Turn off AV/Firewalls before downloading files

-Wait the 45 minutes and try again

But I would like to know if a compromise can be made for those who run into this issue, maybe change the wait time to 15 minutes?

Or implement a system that checks whether the download is actually in progress?

• Replies 11
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the system does check whether the download really finished (via a byte count). the problem is the fact that the AV scans it AFTER the download is finished, but stops it from being written to disk. so there's nothing they can really do on our end, from that stand point any ways...

i guess a 15 min wait would be better, or simply disable your AV before downloading. it's really up to the active staff though, as i don't have the time myself atm <_<

thanks for the info, nsane.

that makes sense considering i was left with a file, albeit a corrupted one due to the AV interfering.

• Administrator

Might redyce it further yet.... lets see what (if any) difference this makes ;)

Yeah if you guys find the lower limit being "abused" or causing bandwidth problems then I wouldn't be opposed to having it changed back...

But for now I think it'll be helpful for situations like the one I described.

You may laugh at this but I've been trying to make a move towards using freeware software as much as I can...and out of the freeware AV's, avast seemed to be the best for me with its small resource usage and feature set.

I know it finds false positives, but at least it's known to find true positives as well.

I've used NOD32 in the past and I loved it, and as much as I would love to use Eset Smart Security, I'm just not a fan of the current fixes available.

So I guess for now I'll just try to remember to turn off my AV before dl'ing off of nsane just to be safe =)

You may laugh at this but I've been trying to make a move towards using freeware software as much as I can...and out of the freeware AV's, avast seemed to be the best for me with its small resource usage and feature set.

I know it finds false positives, but at least it's known to find true positives as well.

I've used NOD32 in the past and I loved it, and as much as I would love to use Eset Smart Security, I'm just not a fan of the current fixes available.

So I guess for now I'll just try to remember to turn off my AV before dl'ing off of nsane just to be safe =)

Can't you configure it to not filter downloads from any address with nsane's proxy in it?

• 2 months later...

I know with some download managers (IDM especially) it helps if you just put nsanedown.com as an exception, otherwise it starts flooding the server with requests and you end up waiting 30min all because you forgot to hold the alt key when downloading.

Archived