DDR3 Memory: Technology Explained

Zeus_Hunt

kingstonramwc1.jpgIt has already been one full year now that DDR3 has been patiently waiting for the enthusiast community to give it proper consideration, yet it's success is still undermined by misconceptions and high price. Benchmark Reviews has been testing DDR3 more actively than anyone, which is why over fifteen different kits fill our System Memory section of reviews. Sadly, it might take an article like this to open the eyes of my fellow hardware enthusiast and overclocker, because it seems like DDR3 is the technology nobody wants bad enough to learn about. Pity, because overclocking is what it's all about.

First and foremost, DDR3 is not just a faster version of DDR2. In fact, the worst piece of misinformation I see spread in enthusiast forums is how DDR3 simply picks up speed where DDR2 left off... which is as accurate as saying an airplane picks up where a kite left off. DDR3 does improve upon the previous generation in certain shared areas, and the refined fabrication process has allowed for a more efficient integrated circuit (IC) module. Although DDR3 doesn't share the same pin connections or key placements, it does still share the DIMM profile and overall appearance. From a technical perspective however, this is where the similarities end.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 11
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
PsychoticxBloodxLust

ok here is a QUestion me being a Xcore gamer where are the good Sli Ready AMD mobs that support DDR3 with back compatiblity of DDR2 i have seen them fro intel but not amd???

• 2 months later...

i read about a 1 gb graphics card with drr5. around $800 i forget which and what the specs where

Yes there are :lol:

Both ATI and AMD have them, I don't know on exactly which models, but you should just google <number of card> X2 and it should show up if it's available.

• 4 weeks later...
i read about a 1 gb graphics card with drr5. around $800 i forget which and what the specs where

GDDR5 is what your talking about.. it's not the same thing as the system memory.. It's used w/ video cards..

Archived