Advice about laptop use

jonahlomu

Hi to all,

I'd like to have an advice about the use of a laptop.

I'm gonna get this laptop soon, and I would like to know if I will use it for a daily longtime

it will be not good or not...for longtime I mean about 13 16 hours always on.

Thanks in advance!!!

• Replies 23
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi to all,

I'd like to have an advice about the use of a laptop.

I'm gonna get this laptop soon, and I would like to know if I will use it for a daily longtime

it will be not good or not...for longtime I mean about 13 16 hours always on.

Thanks in advance!!!

You mean for the battery? Or the parts? The battery probably won't last for 13 hours :frusty: I know mine never did, not even close. But for the parts it shouldn't be that bad, if the laptop is cooled well. For longer battery life i recommend charging it overnight and only when it is totally empty, that's best for it. Well, better would be charging it till it's filled and then get it of the charger right away, but nobody's able of doing that i guess.

SacredCultivator

In regards to this... So if at home it is bad to have the charger plugged in when being used?

As I mean I have a 9-cell battery but generlaly I am at home when using it so I have it plugged it...

Or would it just be better to 'remove' the battery and have it plugged in when in use (Is that way 'better' so to speak?)

Scientist have warned that using a laptop in the conventional way (placed on your lap) can adversely affect your manhood - they've neglected to mention the effects on womanhood.

In regards to this... So if at home it is bad to have the charger plugged in when being used?

As I mean I have a 9-cell battery but generlaly I am at home when using it so I have it plugged it...

Or would it just be better to 'remove' the battery and have it plugged in when in use (Is that way 'better' so to speak?)

Uhm, i never tried removing the battery, but if that works, that would be best. I think(and really hope, otherwise the producers would be VERY, VERY stupid, in my opinion) that when you just leave the battery in the laptop will just 'pull a switch' and not use battery power but use the power directly coming from the (power)net. I wouldn't know any way to find this out, but it looks kind of obviously to me... Doesn't it? Well anyway, if you think it's to much hassle to remove it all the time, for instance when you need to take it every day or so, then leaving it in probably won't hurt because of the laptop 'pulling a switch', i guess.

Someone else might be able to clarify this.

Scientist have warned that using a laptop in the conventional way (placed on your lap) can adversely affect your manhood - they've neglected to mention the effects on womanhood.

Hehehe, where do you read these things? :frusty:

This might be useful to read, i guess i was wrong about 'pulling the switch'... Idiots... Can't they think of this *@&$ themselves?(Producers)

Thinkwiki's page on battery treatment has some advice:

- Remove the battery when running on AC

- Avoid charging the battery when nearly full

- Never store(not using it for (a) week(s)) the battery fully charged (40% is ideal)

I have two batteries for my laptop, one of which I leave in the machine when it's on AC (most of the time). That one is down to 50% of its original capacity after 18 months, the other one, mostly discharged once or twice a week and otherwise unused, is more like 85% or so.

Personally, I have had great luck with my laptop batteries, but I don't leave my batteries in my laptop after they are charged. I recently retired my 4-year-old Dell Inspiron with dual batteries... I was getting about 50% battery life out of them at the time, which I feel is pretty awesome. When my brother's school forced him to buy a laptop (part of the nursing program), he asked me what he should do, I suggested removing the batteries if they are charged. At the end of his first year, he was the only one in class that could make it through the class without plugging into the wall... The school A ) tells all students to remove batteries as soon as they are charged, B ) no longer deals with Gateway computers.

I don't know why you wouldn't want to take the battery out... M.B. guesses that just keeping the battery at a high temp for a year will kill it, without charging/recharging it once. If you want battery life, take your battery out... it takes 5 seconds to pop it back in when you actually go somewhere, it's worth the extra time...

SacredCultivator

@Shought: NICE find there :frusty:, well I guess that means for me to remove my Battery.

@Shought: NICE find there :frusty:, well I guess that means for me to remove my Battery.

Depends on how long you're planning to use it and how much hassle it is, guess it isn't hard, right? You could always call the company that made the laptop and ask what i just presumed, if the laptop doesn't 'pull a switch' when connected to AC power. And just leaves the battery out of use. You should also note the last two tips, very, very useful as well. I think those two combined will save you more battery life than the first one will.

Hehehe, where do you read these things? :frusty:

(On a serious note,) in the beginning of 2007, this article had appeared in an Indian newspaper - 'The Times Of India' and I just dismissed it. In the following days it was observed that all my colleagues at office (including women folk) had stopped placing their laptops on their laps - guess nobody was willing to take a risk on their libido (not even me).

This must probably have something to do with radiation.

Hehehe, where do you read these things? :P

(On a serious note,) in the beginning of 2007, this article had appeared in an Indian newspaper - 'The Times Of India' and I just dismissed it. In the following days it was observed that all my colleagues at office (including women folk) had stopped placing their laptops on their laps - guess nobody was willing to take a risk on their libido (not even me).

This must probably have something to do with radiation.

Laptop batteries get very hot sometimes... :frusty:

Probably both... It's just not healthy, kind of logic when you think about it.

No,

I mean for other parts, not the battery also cause, when I am home and I use it for a long time I always remove the battery.

I wanted to know if, your opinion, can be dangerous for other parts workin it for so many hours...about 18 20 hours for a day.

spasserfan

Depends on how long you're planning to use it and how much hassle it is, guess it isn't hard, right? You could always call the company that made the laptop and ask what i just presumed, if the laptop doesn't 'pull a switch' when connected to AC power. And just leaves the battery out of use. You should also note the last two tips, very, very useful as well. I think those two combined will save you more battery life than the first one will.

As an example here I will use IBM ThinkPad (there are other laptops with the same functionality). ThinkPads switches off the power to the battery when it is fully charged or charged to a set percentage in the battery management program (from now on BMP). If you use these laptops, you could leave the battery in the laptop when plugged to an AC power source, that way you get an UPS (in case of power failure) without shortening the life of the battery. Actually you can set the BMP to recommend (based your usage) start and stop values (percentage) for charging the battery (standard is start at 96% and stop at 100%), but you can also set these values the way you want.

I do not know if you are using ThinkPad or not, but I recommend investigating if your manufacturer has shipped your laptop with a BMP, because that is what really makes your battery last longer.

If you can remove the battery when the laptop is plugged to an AC power source, this means that your laptop can direct electricity around the battery. I have heard (do not know the truth in it, but maybe someone else can confirm this), that if you can do this, your laptop wont overcharge your battery.

No,

I mean for other parts, not the battery also cause, when I am home and I use it for a long time I always remove the battery.

I wanted to know if, your opinion, can be dangerous for other parts workin it for so many hours...about 18 20 hours for a day.

Shouldn't be any problem, just make sure you don't place it on your lap :frusty: And make sure the temperatures stay 'normal', you can check using Everest Ultimate Edition.

@Shought: NICE find there :), well I guess that means for me to remove my Battery.

i have a cooler that plugs into my usb port on my laptop.removing the battery all the time is a pain in the ass.i asked the Geek Squad and they are undecided also.thhe cooler also keeps it off my lap.

No,

Hi there, jonahlomu

What 'other parts' are you referring to - 'other parts' of the laptop or is it 'other parts' of the human body? lol6.gif

It's probably because to let your testikels work properly , the temperature needs to be around 35-36 degrees celcius.

It's probably because to let your testikels work properly , the temperature needs to be around 35-36 degrees celcius.

:D Yeah . . . . . and if the temperature soars when one is using a prehistoric laptop (placed on the lap) what would one have - toasted testicles? ^_^

unlike charges attract, like charges repel... what if the laptop heats up and your 'body 'part' shares the same feeling

so, if both 'other parts' heat up they will probably repel each other, lol..... that makes the weaker 'part' being damaged

• 1 month later...
:D Yeah . . . . . and if the temperature soars when one is using a prehistoric laptop (placed on the lap) what would one have - toasted testicles? :D

And we all don't want to have toasted testicles, do we?

• 3 months later...
PsychoticxBloodxLust

i have lenovo laptop for class work i got a passive cooler type thing for it that rather then me typing flat it lets me adjsut the angle of the keybaord on it so i can reflax my hands, and it works like a heatsink so my laptop doesn't get really hot. I recommend investing in something like it i paid like $30 at wal*mart

Archived