Which RAM?

SeanMiranda

Alright 4 months ago I wanted to build a really low cost gaming PC. This is what I got :

1. Processor - AMD Phenom II X6 1100T @ 3.33 GHz.

2. RAM - 4GB Kingston ValueRAM

3. Hard Disk - Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB Serial ATA.

4. PSU - Circle 400W.

5. Graphic Card - HIS AMD Radeon 6670 1GB GDDR5.

6. Case - iBall Brilliance.

7. Monitor - LG Flatron E2260 22" Full HD LED.

So I was planning to upgrade my RAM to 16 GB and I'm confused, Should 2 Dual Channel RAM's or a Quad Channel. My motherboard supports up to two channels.

Should I get 1 GSkill RipjawsZ 16GB (4GBX4), 2 GSkill RipjawsX 8GB (4GBX2), Or 2 GSkill Sniper (4GBX2)

Can someone plaease tell me which to get?

• Replies 12
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no such thing, quad channel..... pure marketing, i recommand 4GBx4, every 4x2 works in dual channel so 4x4 "works in quad", and recommand this also : Corsair, Crucial, OCZ, Mushkin, Kingston and of course GSkill

By the way, what do u do with 16GB ?

• Administrator

Yup, first you need a proper 500W PSU, 400W isn't enough for your computer. In addition to that, I don't think there's any need whatsoever for 16GB of RAM, 8GB is more than enough..

Also, it's true that dual channel does speed things up a lot (than conventional single channel), personal experience. Just wanted to mention that one should always go for dual channel and not a big sized single channel RAM. :)

I'm simply using kingston value rams, and they do very well even when oced from 1333 to 1500mhz.. and yeah 16gb is way too much for normal everyday computing, and I have 10gb right now and I haven't seen it eat anything above 2gb on my machine, especially with CleanMem installed.. at one point, my Win7 64 idled at 900mb+ and I was like whoah..

but like you, I'm still aiming for 16gb myself, not because I need it, but simply because I can afford to do so now, unlike a few years in past, where modules where priced sky high, they're now pretty much dirt cheap, thus it would be a personal achievement, to choose that at one point in my computing, I've maxed out my mem banks above the 8gb norm.. :wub:

I agree with others that you need a better PSU. Dont worry so much about the 16gb ram and bump up your PSU. As Frosticles said get a modular PSU.

I'm simply using kingston value rams, and they do very well even when oced from 1333 to 1500mhz.. and yeah 16gb is way too much for normal everyday computing, and I have 10gb right now and I haven't seen it eat anything above 2gb on my machine, especially with CleanMem installed.. at one point, my Win7 64 idled at 900mb+ and I was like whoah..

but like you, I'm still aiming for 16gb myself, not because I need it, but simply because I can afford to do so now, unlike a few years in past, where modules where priced sky high, they're now pretty much dirt cheap, thus it would be a personal achievement, to choose that at one point in my computing, I've maxed out my mem banks above the 8gb norm.. :wub:

Hey !

Can you tell me where can i find Cleanmem snip .? :huh:

• Administrator

Hey !

Can you tell me where can i find Cleanmem snip .? :huh:

Asking/requesting for illegal materials is not allowed. ;)

there isn't anything illegal for CleanMem, imho.. coz it's freeware to begin with..

Download from:

PCWintech's CleanMem

if you mean by the Pro version, then don't fret.. it doesn't actually really add anything significant that the free version can not do.. It's just a way to milk some moolah from you for something the developer believes you "might" need but can in reality, you can really live without..

I'm running a mid-range gaming rig with 16 GBs (4x 4 GBs / DDR3-2133) RAM.

1 GB to 4 GB RAM (single)

Started off with 1 GB RAM and decided to shift directly to 4 GBs (skipped 2 GBs.) This jump provided my system with a big performance gain

4 GBs to 8 GBs (2x 4 GBs)

Made another jump (skipped 6 GBs.) This jump felt good and the relative performance gain was minimal but perceptible. :dunno:

8GBs (2x 4 GBs) to 16 GBs (4x 4 GBs) :wub:

Presently on this config. (skipped 12 GBs.) There is no perceptible gain that I can make out. Does make a good moot point for boasting purposes. :P

Believe it or not, my system still hangs. :blink:

IMO, if one is aiming for performance (especially in the gaming domain,) a wiser move would be to rather upgrade the GPU. I got an exchange value for my older AMD Radeon to a higher-end nVIDIA and the upgrade costed me the amount for 8 GBs (2x 4 GBs) of RAM. The performance boost I got exceeded even the gain received from 1 GB to 4 GB RAM, by far :showoff:

Is the money I blew on a total of 16 GBs of RAM worth it. For a sense of ownership, yes. From the practical point of view, no. Want good bang for your money I'd suggest upgrading the graphics before taking the 16 GB plunge. Modern CPUs draw their resource first from the GPU not RAM.

Another little fact, if gaming is the objective of this performance the bare minimum screen size that games benefit from is; 24 inches - 1,920 x 1,080 (1,920 x 1,200 is catching up.) Want to go ballistic on screen size (27 inches,) only an extreme GPU can help not the 16 GBs of RAM.

Still want that 16 GBs of RAM then go for the XMP feature so you can overclock your sticks. Some motherboards need to be configured to enable dual-channel from within the BIOS. I'd purchase 4 sticks of 4 GBs RAM rated for DDR3-2133 (despite the fact that your processor might be able to use a max of just DDR-1600) :)

adding to the vidcard suggie, if budget permits, why not thrown in an SSD as well.. now that changes the game completely.. B)

adding to the vidcard suggie, if budget permits, why not thrown in an SSD as well.. now that changes the game completely.. B)

In fact a SSD would give him one of the biggest performance boost. :drunk:

Archived