What's the best free antivirus, with the least impact on boot time

mrkool123

What do you think is the best free antivirus that has the lowest impact on boot time?That offers a good level of protection

• Replies 33
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials. Boot time influence I'm not sure about. Pretty marginal I guess.

There's no doubt about it: Avast has the lowest affect on the system performance. You could further customize it to be slimmer by removing unneeded components, like Mail Anti Virus (if you do not use MS Outlook or similar e-mail application) and others to tailor your need perfectly.

I used the AVG app till last month I downloaded zenok free antivirus from their store and is realy good security application and I using it. But, what I found from the discription of the software on the website is that they other other security tool as system check.

I agree with spudboy in tests ive done

Avast using 35 megs

MSE " 50 megs

Avira " 25 megs

Comodo and Panda only about 9 megs

the best free AV that i've tried is Avast,low system resource,low impact on my PC,pretty low FP,and there are pretty good feature in it :)

Why don't you simply take Microsoft Security Essentials? :eek: Have a great detection rates, particularly for rootkits.

Even more impressive is the fact that Microsoft Security Essentials has very few false positives, is light on resources and is good at

removal of existing malware. MSE is a great choice for average users because of the minimal user

interaction required. It automatically updates and removes threats. No registration is needed,

apart from a quick validating of Windows, and there are no nag screens or advertisements.

Note that Microsoft Security Essentials requires a genuine copy of Windows to install. B)

comodo is best, low system impact, higher detections. currently using comodo (winxp) and kaspersky pure (win7). comodo detects even those which kaspersky can't. and much lower ram usage than kaspersky.

currently cfp.exe-7mb, cmdagent-6mb during scan cmdagent 20-50mb cfp 10-15mb

It's certainly not Avast. Look at the system impact section, then cross-reference it with the detection reports and see what conclusion you come to. It won't be Avast. http://www.av-compar...summary2011.pdf

Yes it is Avast. You can configure Avast to be really light on system. There are many ways to do it, one of the ways is to select the components only which you require, and other way might be to use default or little lower settings to increase performance, but I'd recommend to leave the settings at their default.

I agree with spudboy in tests ive done

Avast using 35 megs

MSE " 50 megs

Avira " 25 megs

Comodo and Panda only about 9 megs

Avast can be really light, even lighter than Comodo and Panda, as you've stated - remove unnecessary features/components and default settings.

ea46f77397931727c0b35afc829b9398.jpg

Symantec, ESET, Avira, like many other Security Suites also can be tweaked, so that they reduce memory usage and impact on system !

If you want to have good performance and good protection use Norton,

but if you use Windows 7 64 bit, i would suggest you using AntiVirus NOT Internet Security because Windows 7 firewall is really good and there is not need for other firewalls, maybie HIPS, but if you don't know what you are doing hips won't help you !

Also don't forgot to disable, if you have antivirus, windows defender, and also to disable windows firewall if you have Internet Security Suite.

Adding programs that are safe and that you use everyday to exclusion list/disable monitoring safe processes is important for reducing memory usage and impact on machine !

If you trust your machine, disabling startup scans/checks will improve startup time !

Disabling some unnecessary features that you don't need will improve system performance- I have disabled performance monitoring in Norton .

Alot of things can be done to reduce system performance, like in Avira, u can disable alot of , for me unnecessary, protection modules and greatly improve performance !

Also some softwares that are constantly scaning your computer can't have low memory like ones that doesn't !

Hope you find what you are serching for !

Archived