Problem with network after blown fuse

phiggs

Hi, I am having some problems with my home wireless network since blowing a fuse two nights ago. Heres what happened: I am on my main PC, which is directly wired to the cable modem and wireless router which BTW is the WRT54GC. I go to print a 5 page document. Half way through printing page 2 of said document a fuse is blown. Everything shut off in my basement, so I go to the breaker and flick it back on. Everything comes back on fine, no errors or anything.

After Windows XP finished booting up again I noticed that the network connection icon down in my taskbar to the lower right now has an X through it and says "A network cable is unplugged". So I tried rebooting. Then I tried power cycling the PC-Router-Modem. Then I tried unplugging the coax cable and plugging in back in. I just tried switching ethernet cables. None of this worked.

Now the interesting part here is that the other two PC's on my home network remain online and fully functional with normal speeds. These are on the network wirelessly. The Router and Modem both appear fine, with the normal lights being active and stuff.

So what has happened here? It would appear that the problem lies in that main PC, the one directly wired to the router right? Could the blown fuse maybe of messed up the network card in that PC?? (fried it or something)

Please help!

• Replies 6
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't the problem lie in the cable? Try using another one if available?

So what has happened here? It would appear that the problem lies in that main PC, the one directly wired to the router right? Could the blown fuse maybe of messed up the network card in that PC?? (fried it or something)

Please help!

yes.

things to try.

buy a surge protection or a new one if you was using one. (that includes computer, router, modem and dsl/cable line)

on the main computer try a wireless connection.

on the router try another port . you should have 4 ports.

use your router and hardwire to one of the other coputers that you are able to conenct wireless. that should prove if your router is the problem or not.

is the main computer hardwire lan on the mother board or a pci card? if pci card and if router proven okay on the other computer hardwire then replace pci card. (or get a wireless usb stick etc)

do your other computers on the network see your main computer when it is on?

restore or recovery opition might fix software error on the network card.

Please help!

yes.

things to try.

buy a surge protection or a new one if you was using one. (that includes computer, router, modem and dsl/cable line)

on the main computer try a wireless connection.

on the router try another port . you should have 4 ports.

use your router and hardwire to one of the other coputers that you are able to conenct wireless. that should prove if your router is the problem or not.

is the main computer hardwire lan on the mother board or a pci card? if pci card and if router proven okay on the other computer hardwire then replace pci card. (or get a wireless usb stick etc)

do your other computers on the network see your main computer when it is on?

restore or recovery opition might fix software error on the network card.

Alright, I plugged the router into my laptop and that confirmed that the router is functioning normally as it was able to connect without problems. The network thing is right on the motherboard though, what can I do about that? Thanks for the help btw.

Alright, I plugged the router into my laptop and that confirmed that the router is functioning normally as it was able to connect without problems. The network thing is right on the motherboard though, what can I do about that? Thanks for the help btw.

five opitions:

get a new computer (:D)

get a wireless pci card for it and use one of your other computers as the hardwire one instead.

get a network pci card that has a lan port.

being that you need one computer that is hardwire to the router so you can change route settings etc. you can buy a network part that plugs into your usb port. you should be able to find a wire version.

find a usb part that has a lan port connection on the end, allowing you to connect lan cord to it. (different from above)

OK I bought a cheap D-Link PCI Wired Netowrk Card and setup my netowrk with it again, everything seems to work ok now! In my network connections on the wired PC it has a "Local Area Connection 2" which is the D-Link card and also a "Internet Gateway" which is connected at 8.0 mbps... is this normal? I can't remember if my earlier setup looked like this or not. I assume its all good but its hard to judge if my speeds are suffering as my ISP is pretty inconsistent in that department :|

You should try disableing "Internet Gateway" and only keep LAN Connection 2 on. If this fails, put the other one back on too. I wouldnt know what this is for, and it seems like you might be non-router-firewalled or something... (guess)

Archived