How To Update My Existing AMD Driver

Tweety.Abd

Hey.

So I have AMD video card on my laptop and I have the version 11.12 installed. I'd like to know how to update it to 12.1. And secondly, I've been told that Microsoft recommends that drivers (including videos) are downloaded and installed from Windows Update, and should only be downloaded from the vendor if it is unavailable. I'd like to confirm if it's true.

• Replies 26
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can uninstall if you wish with something like driver cleaner/driver sweeper, although to be honest, I just install the new AMD Driver & it works fine.

Be careful thogh if you use any video conversion software like xilisoft, or imtoo - they don't like the new 12.1 drivers, & say you've no GFX acceleration installed.

So basically I install the new driver over the existing one? Or is it mandatory to remove the old one before installing the new one?

The best tool to completely uninstall AMD's software is Atiman's Uninstaller.

Just google it. ;) The current version is 6.1.3.

So basically I install the new driver over the existing one? Or is it mandatory to remove the old one before installing the new one?

Yes, when you install new AMD drivers, the software automatically removes the old drivers before installing new ones.

Also, the drivers from the manufactures websites are more up to date than those from Windows Update. You can always find the latest "common" drivers from nsanedown's home page under drivers.

• Administrator

You have a Mobility Radeon right? Just make sure that on the download page (link on FP) you download AMD Mobility Radeon™ and NOT normal AMD Radeon™ Desktop Video Card Drivers.

Just make sure you temporarily disable your AV while installing. AVs are known to stop things, especially McAfee I saw on my cousin's laptop.

The installation is rather smooth and easy, don't worry it'll be fine. The screen will flicker/go black for a half a second, that's it. The driver gets auto-replaced / auto-updated. No need to uninstall anything.

You can prefer to install whole Catalyst suite and other things or just the driver. I recommend to install all. :P

And yes, I do recommend AMD drivers from the website and not from Windows Update.

If anything goes wrong, just reboot into safe mode and uninstall the driver or use the above cleaning software. Then re-install from the CD or install downloaded thing again.

I've sworn off ATI/AMD graphics card, exactly for the difficulty in doing a clean driver upgrade.

The best method I used to employ was a wipe and reload of Windows, then put on the new driver.

Perhaps they've improved the process though.

• Administrator

I've sworn off ATI/AMD graphics card, exactly for the difficulty in doing a clean driver upgrade.

The best method I used to employ was a wipe and reload of Windows, then put on the new driver.

What was the last time you've tried it? :)

Things have surely changed, so has the AMD installer (backend of course). ;)

Admittedly, it's been since before AMD and ATI merged, but I still hear people complain about the driver update process from time to time.

High end games just seem to run better with nvidia anyways, so I can't figure out a reason to try AMD/ATI again.

What was the last time you've tried it? :)

Things have surely changed, so has the AMD installer (backend of course). ;)

Thanks for all your help guys :) DKT, I'm using McAfee myself, and I'll see if it hinders the installation of the drivers. I've been using McAfee for about a week now and I haven't noticed any sort of issues while using it, except that you cannot manually exclude a file from the real-time scan, and that if you enabled the parental control, it slows down browsing up to 50%. Those are the only two issues I've experienced with McAfee so far.

• Administrator

@bwop: That's a long time. Installer is quite fine from few months now. AMD graphics cards have been in lead from a long time too. Someone like Leetpirate can explain better than me. But that's besides, it depends on your needs and what suits you. :)

@Tweety.Abd: Do update us on it. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

You have a Mobility Radeon right? Just make sure that on the download page (link on FP) you download AMD Mobility Radeon™ and NOT normal AMD Radeon™ Desktop Video Card Drivers.

Just make sure you temporarily disable your AV while installing. AVs are known to stop things, especially McAfee I saw on my cousin's laptop.

The installation is rather smooth and easy, don't worry it'll be fine. The screen will flicker/go black for a half a second, that's it. The driver gets auto-replaced / auto-updated. No need to uninstall anything.

You can prefer to install whole Catalyst suite and other things or just the driver. I recommend to install all. :P

And yes, I do recommend AMD drivers from the website and not from Windows Update.

If anything goes wrong, just reboot into safe mode and uninstall the driver or use the above cleaning software. Then re-install from the CD or install downloaded thing again.

My problem is like this: I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB24EN (http://www.gadgetsgu...india-9750.aspx ) formatted with win 7 32-bit. Now when I download and install AMD's latest 12.1 drivers for my mobility radeon HD 5145, after installation, pops up a window like this: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=234480036640323&set=o.154575567945833&type=1&ref=nf

I have downloaded and installed the result of this: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=234481606640166&set=o.154575567945833&type=1&ref=nf

Can you suggest anything please?

My problem is like this: I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB24EN (http://www.gadgetsgu...india-9750.aspx ) formatted with win 7 32-bit. Now when I download and install AMD's latest 12.1 drivers for my mobility radeon HD 5145, after installation, pops up a window like this:

I have downloaded and installed the result of this:

Can you suggest anything please?

Pops up like what?

• Administrator

@rudrax: Just had a look on the AMD release notes and here's the problem:

The following notebooks are not compatible with this release:

• Any notebook launched after this driver release
  • Switchable Graphics enabled notebooks.
  • Toshiba notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
  • Sony VAIO notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
  • Panasonic notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)

1st. Sony does not post downloads of ATI drivers for 32-bit OS of this laptop on it's website. Second, the driver it has posted is about two years old. Third, notebook OEMs purposely want AMD to not to support updates for the mobility cards. The only option you have is to use this tool. But doesn't officially support your card or Windows 7.

EDIT: Looks like this can help you. Hasn't been updated for v12.1, but wait for it. :)

• Toshiba notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
  • Sony VAIO notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
  • Panasonic notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)

1st. Sony does post downloads of ATI drivers for 32-bit OS of this laptop on it's website. Second, the driver it has posted is about two years old. Third, notebook OEMs purposely want AMD to not to support updates for the mobility cards. The only option you have is to use this tool. But doesn't officially support your card or Windows 7.

thnks a lot buddie..hey can I destroy the OEM information stored in my notebook? There is a 100 MB system reserved partition in my HDD..Is it the OEM partition? Is it harmfull?

• Administrator

thnks a lot buddie..hey can I destroy the OEM information stored in my notebook? There is a 100 MB system reserved partition in my HDD..Is it the OEM partition? Is it harmfull?

Make sure you have a look at my edit of my previous post. :)

I'm personally not knowledgeable enough on the system reserved partition to comment on it, actually I have read by have forgot major part of it. :P It might be safe to remove it but I'd rather not touch it.

BTW, it's created by Windows, not OEMs. Nothing to do with OEMs as far as I know.

Make sure you have a look at my edit of my previous post. :)

I'm personally not knowledgeable enough on the system reserved partition to comment on it, actually I have read by have forgot major part of it. :P It might be safe to remove it but I'd rather not touch it.

BTW, it's created by Windows, not OEMs. Nothing to do with OEMs as far as I know.

That's true, the partition is created by Windows and not OEMs. I personally have not experienced any side effect by the deletion of the partition (I deleted it for testing purposes long ago), but I would recommend it to remain as it is, after all it's just 100 MB.

@DKT & Tweety.Abd: thnx alot buddies for your personal interests..

@DKT: the ATI driver modder u hav suggested to me did no work for me..In the site I saw that there is no name of win 7 support..I have followed every step shown there very carefully but can't get succeed!

1st. Sony does not post downloads of ATI drivers for 32-bit OS of this laptop on it's website. Second, the driver it has posted is about two years old. Third, notebook OEMs purposely want AMD to not to support updates for the mobility cards. The only option you have is to use this tool. But doesn't officially support your card or Windows 7.

EDIT: Looks like this can help you. Hasn't been updated for v12.1, but wait for it. :)

I'll wait for this

I overwrote my 11.12 with 12.1 and then with 12.2. Have found quite a perceptible improvement with the 12.2 and would have liked to recommend it to others if only were it not for the fact that it's a preview (not yet declared stable.)

BTW, have been over-installing my ATI drivers since a long time without any issues. :)

Does somebody have any idea, when mobility modder gonna realease for ATI 12.1 drivers?

I overwrote my 11.12 with 12.1 and then with 12.2. Have found quite a perceptible improvement with the 12.2 and would have liked to recommend it to others if only were it not for the fact that it's a preview (not yet declared stable.)

BTW, have been over-installing my ATI drivers since a long time without any issues. :)

u r lucky dude..some vendors does not support update of system drivers..so is mine..

• Administrator

Does somebody have any idea, when mobility modder gonna realease for ATI 12.1 drivers?

What's the driver currently installed on your computer? Cause I think you can try the 11.xx first from there just to confirm it works, later upgrade when they make the 12.x available. :)

What's the driver currently installed on your computer? Cause I think you can try the 11.xx first from there just to confirm it works, later upgrade when they make the 12.x available. :)

I got 8.xx..wil u send me the direct link for 11.xx drivers? I just need the driver not the whole sftware..

And did u get a personal message I have sent u about firefox bug? help me if u can

Archived