Microsoft pulls Vista SP1 update

tonimontana

tonimontana

Microsoft pulls Vista SP1 update

By Tom Espiner

Special to CNET News.com

Published: February 20, 2008 11:09 AM PST

Microsoft has stopped automatically distributing a prerequisite piece of software for Vista Service Pack 1, following some customer complaints that it had caused system problems.

Servicing stack update KB937287, released last week, contained updates to Windows Vista installation software, and was billed as being "necessary to successfully install and to remove Windows Vista SP1 (Service Pack 1) on all versions of Windows Vista."

Microsoft stopped distributing the update on Wednesday, according to a blog post by Microsoft product manager Nick White.

"We've heard a few reports about problems customers may be experiencing as a result of KB937287," wrote White. "Immediately after receiving reports of this error, we made the decision to temporarily suspend automatic distribution of the update to avoid further customer impact while we investigate possible causes."

Vista SP1 is already available to subscribers to the Microsoft Developer Network but won't receive a formal public release until mid-March.

One irate Windows Vista Ultimate user replied to White's blog post, saying the prerequisite had corrupted a PC and resulted in the need to reformat the hard drive, with the resulting loss of all of the files and programs. When advised by an anonymous contributor of the System Restore option on the Vista installation disc, the Vista Ultimate user replied that the copy of Vista had been purchased and downloaded from the Internet, so there was no disc.

Two users complained that Windows Update prompted them to install the prerequisite, even after they had installed it.

Another user, S Marusic, wrote: "New Dell Inspiron PC stuck on the update loop as well. Any ETA from Microsoft on when/how to fix it? My client has valuable data that I need to consider stripping off the (hard drive) unless a patch/fix comes out soon...Help!"

According to Microsoft's White: "This problem only affects a small number of customers in unique circumstances."

• Replies 7
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Strictly no problem with Vista x64 since 1 year....

ahhahahha not.

it is kind of funny that if you order a laptop with Vista Ultimate you get it only with x64. but if you order the other two cheaper versions you get x32 which you can then upgrade to Vista Ultimate x32.

very disappointed with vista, let alone Vista Ultimate x64.

maybe they need to bring bill gates back into control of the place.

Published: February 20, 2008 11:09 AM PST

Please check any news articles before posting, as this is very out of date.

SP1 has already been released for Windows Vista thus making this article somewhat null and void.

voodoohippie

Same shit happened to me. I have an HP DV 6000 laptop which unfortunately came with shitsta and when I did all the prerequisites and installed the update to my surprise my mouse would no longer move when I rebooted the computer. I lost everything I put into the damn laptop for I had to reformat the hard drive again with shitsta home premium. This OS is the worst POS I've ever seen even worse than ME. I want to get this garbage off my laptop and XP in it, but two things. I'm visually impaired and can't see the basic screen that well. 2. I'd have to somehow get the drivers for the HP DV 6000 in order to make ot work properly. I've read on the forums that many have tried this and they could not get sound anymore. As you know on a laptop its almost impossible to swap the sound card for a better one. If it were that simple I'd just have a soundblaster card put in for a laptop and my computer would fly without shitsta. Microsoft needs to refund everyone's money who had bought shitsta and also allow the users of the new computers to swap back to XP if they want. A patition needs to be made to stop the production of shitsta in manufactured computers until 100% of all bugs are fixed and for Windows XP to be installed instead. But in my humble opinion shitsta will always be shitsta no matter what color you like to make it be. It doesn't take a genius to tell the difference between chicken shit and chicken salad. But it takes a complete moron to like shitsta.

Archived