Sun Java SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 10

jalaffa

Java 6 Update 10 Beta is available as a public preview release intended for testing purposes. We would like developers, IT system administrators, advanced users and community members to provide feedback. This release includes many new features, dramatic startup performance improvements and a redesigned browser plugin.

Note: Since this release is intended for testing purposes, we want you to try it out with your Java content, including any applications that use Java technology. While you are testing with this release, please make sure to give us feedback as described in the How to Provide Feedback section. When you have completed your testing, we recommend that you uninstall this release and ensure that you are using our latest official release.

Download

• Replies 15
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, I currently have Java 6 Update 3 and Java SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1

Should I uninstall one or keep both? I'm not really sure what the difference is.

Hmm, I currently have Java 6 Update 3 and Java SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1

Should I uninstall one or keep both? I'm not really sure what the difference is.

For optimization, you need all the updates as follows:-

Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 1

Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 2

Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 3

Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 4

Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 5

Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 6

Since all the above updates need to be installed respectively, you'll need to uninstall Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 3 and reinstall it only after installing Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 2. Then you got to install all the other updates in consecutive order.

Since Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 10 is just a beta version, I prefer to wait for the final release.

For optimization, you need all the updates as follows:-

Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 1

Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 2

Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 3

Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 4

Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 5

Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 6

Since all the above updates need to be installed respectively, you'll need to uninstall Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 3 and reinstall it only after installing Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 2. Then you got to install all the other updates in consecutive order.

Since Sun Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 10 is just a beta version, I prefer to wait for the final release.

Oh, lol. I never knew that... I always just threw the old version into the trashbin... Ah well, never noticed anything ;)

maniac2003
Oh, lol. I never knew that... I always just threw the old version into the trashbin... Ah well, never noticed anything :wtf:

Always do the same thing as you, never noticed any problems here.

Oh, lol. I never knew that... I always just threw the old version into the trashbin... Ah well, never noticed anything :wtf:

Always do the same thing as you, never noticed any problems here.

I guess you'll get better performance when leaving the all in their places, but there's(as far as i searched) nothing on the Java website that tells you to have all of these versions installed at a time, and i think it would be a lot smarter to just add all the previous versions to the latest, but that's just my opinion. All i'm saying is: Noddy does seem to have more understanding of Java than you and i do, but still he might be wrong?

Are you sure Noddy? Just asking.

nope, there is no change in leaving them as they are or uninstalling them.

The newer version always overwrites the older one. So it doesn't make a bit of diff if you have all the updates or just the latest one, since the latest covers all the attributes of the previous, plus new additions and fixes

nope, there is no change in leaving them as they are or uninstalling them.

The newer version always overwrites the older one. So it doesn't make a bit of diff if you have all the updates or just the latest one, since the latest covers all the attributes of the previous, plus new additions and fixes

I expected that too ;) Thanks for clarifying Marik :wtf:

DirtyShady

I need info, I have Vista Ultimate x64, and I want to use LimeWire, I need Java runtime, what version I must install for Vista x64 ?

Thanks.

Install of Java is very confused I thinks..........

I need info, I have Vista Ultimate x64, and I want to use LimeWire, I need Java runtime, what version I must install for Vista x64 ?

Thanks.

Install of Java is very confused I thinks..........

I don't believe Java have seperate installations for x32 or x64. They are both supported with their latest version.

Java's manual download page (where I tend to get the "Offline" installation to save) is only listing Version 6 Update 5 for some strange reason, despite Update 6 being released some time ago. These are stable versions of course and NOT the Beta releases.

You can however download the Version 6 Update 6 at other reputable sources, such as FileHippo.

As for whether you should install incremental's or full installations, Marik is indeed correct. The newer build's always overwrite the older files so technically you only need the latest version. I have noticed though, in recent years... if you were to overwrite and installation of a previous build, the older build will still show up in such areas as Add / Remove Programs. A little frustrating, especially if you have been installing newer versions over the years and show a list of Java installations here.

My advice would be to uninstall all versions (if on your system), running a registry cleaner (if you feel comfortable doing so), and installing the latest stable release, which at the time of this post is Version 6 Update 6. Hope this helps.

As for whether you should install incremental's or full installations, Marik is indeed correct. The newer build's always overwrite the older files so technically you only need the latest version. I have noticed though, in recent years... if you were to overwrite and installation of a previous build, the older build will still show up in such areas as Add / Remove Programs. A little frustrating, especially if you have been installing newer versions over the years and show a list of Java installations here.

The old files and folders stay in your Program Files too, so they take up HD space and registry entries. Java just doesn't uninstall the previous version, thus leaving everything on the computer.

Yeah. Better to do a clean installation of the latest version IMO. Maybe one day the developers will actually uninstall previous versions when a user attempts to overwrite an existing installation.

DirtyShady

For Vista x64 I need to install only "jre-6u6-windows-x64.exe" ??

not x86 version ?

For Vista x64 I need to install only "jre-6u6-windows-x64.exe" ??

not x86 version ?

yes, you need the x64 version.

Oh hello, I see a lot of comments have been posted in response to what was written - actually just tried uninstalling all versions previous to to Sun Java SE Runtime Environment 6.0 Update 6, and mama - it does work without any adverse effects.

BTW, my system is on a Corporate Network of more than 75 PCs adminstered by the same person . . . . . . . . . . . and yeah you guessed it - all of us Dumbos were lugging around deadweight in the form of 5 old versions. Have also just now gone through the 'White Paper,' that is available at the Sun Java download page and surprisingly, there is no mention about uninstalling previous versions. However, everybody else is right in this thread - uninstallation of previous versions needs to be definitely done. Would like to differ on just one minor point - later versions do not over-write as mentioned (obviously, since the older version would cease to remain in that case in addition to the newer version.)

Archived