Transefering video from camcorder to pc

Hitman6267

Hi, I have an old JVC GR-DVL 800 I want to transfer the video on it to the pc so I can edit it. How should I go about doing that ?

• Replies 16
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go to your local pc shop and ask them if they have some kind of cable or such which will allow you to connect the camcorder to a port your pc has :rolleyes:

I have two kinds of connection cables. One that came with it that fits into it and at the other end has a the shape to fit into a serial port ( dunno if thats what it called) basicaly it has the same shape (ofcourse different size) as the a VGA cable. It fits into a port in the motherboard. Another cable which is a firewire from what I can tell. It fits in the camcorder and at the other end connects via usb to the pc. My question is what software should I use to transfter the video to the pc so i could edit it. I can't find an option in the software that came with it to transfer the video to the pc.

P.S: I need to edit it for a school project. So any help would be really appreaciated.

I have two kinds of connection cables. One that came with it that fits into it and at the other end has a the shape to fit into a serial port ( dunno if thats what it called) basicaly it has the same shape (ofcourse different size) as the a VGA cable. It fits into a port in the motherboard. Another cable which is a firewire from what I can tell. It fits in the camcorder and at the other end connects via usb to the pc. My question is what software should I use to transfter the video to the pc so i could edit it. I can't find an option in the software that came with it to transfer the video to the pc.

P.S: I need to edit it for a school project. So any help would be really appreaciated.

When you plug in one of the cables doesn't there pop up some 'New device found' thingy? And after that you should, at least i guess, be able to find it by opening My Computer and clicking on it's icon? Then you get into the camera and you might be able to just copy it from there to your PC? You probably tried this, but it's just so i can rule out any easy options :rolleyes:

Edit: And oh yeah, i would in any case recommend the FireWire cable, which will give you a much faster speed.

Edit 2: Try searching for 'Transfer video from camcorder to pc' on google ;) You'll find a lot of useful stuff like this:

If upgrading to FireWire is simply not an option, make sure you are giving your computer an optimal environment for capturing video through USB. Eliminate any unnecessary USB devices by unplugging them during video capture, including your printer, scanner, Webcam, or other random devices. In most cases these devices are sitting idle, but occasionally they can take up available USB bandwidth.

Edit 3:And you should read the end of this(Actually you should read the whole article since everything applies to you ;)), Title: Prevent Frame Dropping During Video Capture, Subtitle: Capture using WinDVD(Very important part, since you'll be using this :P): http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/2005...eo_capture.html

I don't know what version of WinDVD they've got but here is the latest(i guess): http://www.download.com/Corel-WinDVD/3000-...4-10208797.html

Edit 4(Now i'm done editing :P): Found some more useful stuff:

If you are using Windows XP, then you will have the software to capture video with the Windows Movie Maker program. If you have an older windows you will need to buy video editing software.

:P So you don't even need WinDVD, but i'd still recommend it because Windows and it's software tends to be lower-end :P

The problem is that the pc doesn't "see" the camcorder. It says "USB Device Not recognized" The cable I'm using has an "I" on it. It plugs into a "DV In/Out" which has an "I" next to it in the camcorder.

The DV (Digital Video) plug should indeed be the right port to use, and I'm assuming it connects via USB?

Out of interest, have you tried visiting JVC's website to see if they have any software to make the transition just that little bit smoother? You may need to install a driver from their site as the camcorder may not be as plug and play as you think. I'll have a look for you now...

Yes it does connect via usb (at the pc's end). I've tried but didn't find anything.

You wouldn't by chance have a driver cd or something, right? I had already searched the website of JVC too, but couldn't find anything related to your camcorder... As you said: old :rolleyes:

Btw: Have you tried the program i mentioned in my previous post? Doesn't that program have a function like 'Search camera' or something?

Yeah I can see the 805 (which I'm assuming was the next model up but there's nothing on there software wise for what you need).

Does nothing show up in "My Computer" after you connect it?

If not, you could go into your Device Manager and "Scan for hardware changes" :rolleyes: That might bring something up.

I have the still that came with it but all that it are two programs: "Multimedia Navigator" and "Mr.Photo". From what I can see the first one lets me edit the video on the camcorder and the second is to organise the still photos.

Nothing shows up after connecting othe than "USb device not recognised"

I have the still that came with it but all that it are two programs: "Multimedia Navigator" and "Mr.Photo". From what I can see the first one lets me edit the video on the camcorder and the second is to organise the still photos.

Nothing shows up after connecting othe than "USb device not recognised"

But didn't you have a FireWire connection? Taking another cable might help you know :rolleyes:

Alrighty... this MIGHT be the solution... I was going to ask if you had a Firewire cable earlier, but assumed you did not. If this is the case maybe this advice will be of some help.

I bought my JVC GR-270 (same as GR-290, but no remote) in 2004. On page 45, top right hand column of either manual (the original and the on-line one on this site) the claim is made that "Using USB cable it is possible to do the following things: Transfer still/MOVING images recorded on a tape to a PC." After many unsuccessful attempts at trying to use the USB cable for transferring moving images to my PC, I called JVC technical dept. They told me that the MANUAL WAS WRONG....and that in order to transfer MOVING images, I needed to purchase a FIREWIRE cable. Indeed, that is the solution. However, If your PC has no FIREWIRE input jack you must also purchase a FIREWIRE adapter card. Don't skimp on these items, get a well shielded cable and a name brand adapter.

What burns me is that I looked at the manual in the store and only purchased the camera because it claimed that the enclosed USB cable would work for moving images. JVC denies responsibility, even though their manual is clearly wrong, and they know it.

So the question is, do you have a Firewaire cable and a Firewire port on your PC?

sorry for taking a while to asnwer, I'm not getting but a few email notifications for some reason from forums. - I'l discuss that in another thread :rolleyes: - I uploaded a pic of the cable of using. cable.jpg

sorry for taking a while to asnwer, I'm not getting but a few email notifications for some reason from forums. - I'l discuss that in another thread :) - I uploaded a pic of the cable of using.

I don't think that's FireWire, or DVI must be the same as FireWire, which i don't believe it is... Well just to make sure you should try the other cable, but i guess you already did, right?

You do have the camcorder turned on when you connect it to the PC don't you? :blink: I know i'm asking some stupid questions, but sometimes these tiny little easy to forget things are the problem. You should also try first plugging the cable into the PC then plugging it into the camcorder and then turning the camcorder on. Try any possible variation you can think of :mellow:

I tried all of that. Thank you both for your help :mellow:. I'm going to take it to a place to make me a dvd out of the take so i could edit it on my pc. But if any one has any ideas don't hesitate to post.

Edit: Btw about the variation tip, when i connect the cable i posted a pic of. the pc recognises theres a usb connected but says "USB Not recognised" so different variations won't do any good because it already sees it.

I tried all of that. Thank you both for your help :mellow:. I'm going to take it to a place to make me a dvd out of the take so i could edit it on my pc. But if any one has any ideas don't hesitate to post.

Edit: Btw about the variation tip, when i connect the cable i posted a pic of. the pc recognises theres a usb connected but says "USB Not recognised" so different variations won't do any good because it already sees it.

Have you tried using different USB ports too? To rule out the possibility there's something wrong with the USB port.

Archived