Mass Effect 3 isn't launching on Steam, requires Origin

beer

me3mordinconfusedwithshepspeech.jpg

Mass Effect 3 is yet another entry in EA's stable of PC games that can't be purchased via Steam. At least "initially," that is, according to BioWare community manager Chris Priestly, who posted a variety of FAQ answers on the EA division's forums late last week. "During initial release, Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time," he said.

Unsurprisingly, this also means that all PC versions of Mass Effect 3 will also require EA's Origin service to launch the game -- regardless of where you buy it -- just like Battlefield 3 before it. And despite EA's wording, which implies the game may end up on Steam at some point after launch, we're doubtful that'll be anytime soon.

Alongside the confirmation that ME3 won't end up on Steam, Priestly goes on to list the issues his company sees with launching on Steam ("restrictive terms of service," BioWare claims). Given Steam's ubiquity across the PC gaming landscape, not to mention the vast majority of its clients not complaining about said terms of service, we're gonna go ahead and wager that the terms aren't changing anytime soon.

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EA thinks its leveraging Origin against Steam by doing this, but in reality they are forcing Mass Effect fans to pirate the game.

A legit customers has two choices:

1. Pay full retail for the game (~$60), and install mandatory spyware Origin that collects personal data about you and whatever DRM it comes with.
  2. Pirate(pay nothing), no spyware Origin, and possibly bypasses DRM.

I know which choice Commander Shepard would make :coolwink:

EA thinks its leveraging Origin against Steam by doing this, but in reality they are forcing Mass Effect fans to pirate the game.

A legit customers has two choices:

1. Pay full retail for the game (~$60), and install mandatory spyware Origin that collects personal data about you and whatever DRM it comes with.
  2. Pirate(pay nothing), no spyware Origin, and possibly bypasses DRM.

I know which choice Commander Shepard would make :coolwink:

you could always purchase this quality product and then pirate it to remove the DRM and crap. thats what I do usually ;) i plan to buy the game and pirate the DRM... just because i disagree with the business model.

you could always purchase this quality product and then pirate it to remove the DRM and crap. thats what I do usually ;) i plan to buy the game and pirate the DRM... just because i disagree with the business model.

That is true. And that is probably the only time I will buy an EA game that I really really want to play.

I was quite unhappy cancelling my BF3 pre-order because there wasn't a workable bypass for Origin at the time. And I read that getting caught circumventing Origin may result in your EA account getting banned, thus losing access to all your games.

I know there are cracks out now that help legit users bypass Origin, but don't know if they are any good. Do you know any good methods for BF3?

I know I should just google it but, is Mass Effect 3 out already?

I loved the first two games.

:rockon:

Not out yet. I think it's Feb or March or April? :lol:

Archived