Whack Shutdown/Boot-up Time

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Hey there people!

This is a weird issue as I don't know what i did a year or so back... But let's just say because of it, my total shutdown/boot-up time is roughly 7-8~minutes... YOu heard right!

So I am not Computer Geek and only using Diskeeper as my source of information.

I have two Harddrives, Primary / Back-up... In Diskeeper when I go into Boot-Time Defrag here are my options

Primary: MFT Option is available

Back-up: Paging and MFT Options are available

And I am no genius but I don't think that's right...

Since I don't think anything else on my system is affecting the shutdown/boot-up time... NOt sure if there's a solution to this apart from formatting both drives =/

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a hard one without seeing how it is shutting down and then seeing where it is hanging during start up.

The shutting down thing could be a conflict that is causing one of the system files to over verify before shutting down,

maybe caused be a snippet of an old anti-virus program that did not get cleaned out all the way...

As far as boot up is concerned, If it is a conflict, it could be the same conflict on load up. Like I said,

there are way too many variables to try and guess at. My suggestion is that you ask a computer savy friend to look at it

and see if maybe they can see what is going on. The only other way around it, and this is sort of a back door way of doing it,

would be to load up a program called Soluto, which tries to identify all of your boot routine, and time each module.

It will not shorten your boot time, but it may show you what is taking so long. Do this at your own risk. I would go with the friend option first.

SacredCultivator

That's true.

Because I know for Shutdown, even if I closed all programs and whatnot, it still pops up asking if i want to Force Exit programs, and even when I do, it isn't instant and takes a while before shutting down programs and then it stays on that "Shutting Down" screen for quite a long while.

As for Bootup, it gets stuck at that "Starting Windows' screen.

But yeah, can be due to numerous reasons.

Guess I can ask a friend to see whenever we both have time.

If worse comes to worse, before you reformat, try the Soluto thing.

It might identify what is taking so long at boot up. If not, well you were going to reformat anyway.

SacredCultivator - out of the box question here - have you got any thing installed to do with HP security suit?

on a side note - Install & Run some of the options on Tuneup utilz.

Install CCleaner - vacate to the startup option within the program and disable everything you dont need on boot up. (in most cases 99% can be took off)

Instead of asking a friend - you could maybe ask one of the decent guys here *teamviewer would be ur best bet*.

some1 with a bit of time just to do a quick scan over your computer.

SacredCultivator

Nope no HP Security Suite. No Antivirus for that matter installed (Traces of it is possible BitDefender / Avira)

For Startup items, there are 6, but I do need them.

(I know at times Realtek / ATI CCC can cause lag but that's not the case especially when I'm restarting the computer after they've been uninstalled.)

Hmm well whomever has the time to do that with TeamViewer (no experience with it) can definitely help me out.

- - -

Side note: I do have Windows 7 Manager:

System Optimizer => Startup + Shutdown tweaked

Shutdown all sliders to Fast + have both "Automatically close . . . ." ticked as well.

Attached the settings i have under Startup.

Thanks.

post-9-0-68618200-1326356908_thumb.jpg

none of those boxes ticked should cause any problems, I'm on vista and also have those ticked within vista manager.

A program somewhere must be conflicting.

Have you tried creating a second user account, too see if that has the same problem?

Edit

asked about the HP junk cause my dad went and installed it on his laptop and found out it doesnt play nice with the latest nod.

SacredCultivator

@Sonar: I've disabled multiple / guest account service.

@Bizarre: Gave that program a shot and interestingly enough it booted my system in about a little under 2 minutes.

Weirdly... It felt that way too, start up at least. The shutdown process was still a bit slow.

Uninstalled it for now as it did help me to disable a few services (Primarily 2 ATI related ones that I didn't need).

THanks for the tips people.

SacredCultivator

Not sure if TuneUp Utilities are any better than Windows 7 Manager in terms of the Shutdown/Startup features.

@circaal: I'll keep you in mind/ when I have more time to test to see if it's fixed or not.

Can't really be bothered atm till another time to check again.

But as of current, it's definitely faster compared to the 7 minutes I had initially. Now it's about 3-4~

If you have your instal disk run it and do a startup repair. Solved it with this before on a vista system and xp systems for people who had tried everything else.

Another software for enabling/disabling startups is Kingsoft PC Dr,

• 2 weeks later...

Archived