Can't add 3rd PC to home network

phiggs

sup

I have a problem with my wireless network. Here are the details:

Everything was working fine with just two computers: I had a PC with the cable modem and router which is a linksys WRT54GC Compact Wireless-G Broadband Router hooked into it. Upstairs I have my laptop; it was easily integrated into my network by just running the wizard and everything auto detected nicely like it should! But then the other day I decided to put a hard drive in my old PC which had been laying around for some 7 months now and hook it up in a spare room upstairs. After installing windows xp and all the hardware drivers including the Network Intel drivers and updating windows it will not see my network. I know it should because in the past I have used this PC in the exact same situation with the same modem + router on a different computer with everything connected on one wireless home network.

But for whatever reason this time it just says "A Network Cable is unplugged" all the time. I've tried shutting down all the PC's on the network, power cycling my modem and router, and then running the home network setup wizard on all 3 PC's again but it didn't work still (the main pc and the laptop connected, but old PC still says network cable is unplugged).

It works fine if I bring the modem and router to the old pc and directly connect them to it.. but this isn't plausible for this shitty house because of the way the cable splits off (I'd be without cable in my basement if I were to enable the cable outlet in the spare room! Unless I split the signal again.. but I'd rather not...)

I've tried disabling, enabling too... Can't find any answers with googling and searching. Why does this pos say a network cable is unplugged?

• Replies 5
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never mind.

I'm an idiot.

Hehehe, you turned the wrong network adapter on, right? :doctor: Ah well, that can happen to anyone :rolleyes:

Archived