Router Firewall

Jman123

• Replies 6
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your router has a component of 'hardware' firewall that audits only inbound traffic - you do need a additional 'software' firewall capable of handling outbound attempts to access the internet.

Some folks tend to argue against this philosophy - however, as an example; one of the cracks of the latest 'Diskeeper 2008 Pro Premier 12.0.781' requires the User to employ a firewall to prevent 'DkService.exe' from phoning home during activation. Hence if you don't have a software based firewall installed, your router would be utterly helpless in preventing your 'Diskeeper 2008 Pro Premier 12.0.781' license from getting blacklisted

Folks will also recall having to use this method in some of the 2007 versions of IDM (Internet download Manager) to ensure that IDM stayed fixed.

I would always use a software firewall too. When I was running XP I used ZoneAlarm for exactly the reasons Noddy said. Also if you were unfortunate enough to get infected with some form of malware it would stop your pc sending out 6 million spam emails :lol:

I've been running Vista x64 Ultimate for around a year now with my router firewall, nod32 and vista firewall (very good surprisingly) and haven't had one instance of ad/spyware or any malware at all.

use comodo firewall (freeware) or the old 'sygate'(only for xp) firewall for your outbound traffic ..

but you only need it for situations like noddy explained..

but for security-reasons it is not nessecary to have a firewall installed on your computer if you allready have one in your router..

Sometimes 2 firewalls(1 in router, 1 on computer) makes internet slower, or download slower, or higher ping when playing online games.

For example, if you use emule to download.. most people have low id when they use the windows firewall and the router firewall too..

the two above firewalls are the best i know, zonealarm for example gives problems with the download-program emule..

and never use windowsxp firewall!

Do I have t go through a ton of different steps to set it up for bittorrent usage? I'm using Windows Firewall right now.

Do I have t go through a ton of different steps to set it up for bittorrent usage? I'm using Windows Firewall right now.

If you use WF you will jsut have to add your torrent client's .exe file to the list of exclusions. (Except for when you use a Java-based client, which will need you to add a few of Java's program files as well) I'd recommend you use uTorrent as it is very lightweight and fast. With uTorrent you'll just have to add the .exe file(X:/Program Files/uTorrent/uTorrent.exe) to the exclusions). If you need any more help configuring just ask me :rolleyes:

Try using the built in port-checker (Speed Guide--> Port Checker) to see if your default port is accepting incoming connections. If not tell me what you did and what kind of router you have.

• 4 months later...
I would always use a software firewall too. When I was running XP I used ZoneAlarm for exactly the reasons Noddy said. Also if you were unfortunate enough to get infected with some form of malware it would stop your pc sending out 6 million spam emails :lol:

I've been running Vista x64 Ultimate for around a year now with my router firewall, nod32 and vista firewall (very good surprisingly) and haven't had one instance of ad/spyware or any malware at all.

Read this then and you will be surprised:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-6690672-1.html

Archived