download manager feature

bob1234

This is a specific question that I have, so I would prefer not to have this turn into a topic about which download manager is the best. There are various posts about that around already.

So here we go: Currently I use getright and prefer it over a lot of others for the simple fact that it has a mirror search feature. I admit that it doesn't always come in handy, but sometimes it does. Does any other download manager have this feature? for those of you that don't know what i'm talking about, it's a feature that automatically searches databases (some/all of which the company owns itself) to give you alternate download locations. This allows you to have additional download sources besides ones that you know of and can manually add. Seeing as how this system basically replies upon getright users to share the info, the database is somewhat limited. Hence, I'm curious if any other manager has something that either uses the same databases or additional ones that may exist. thanks in advance.

• Replies 7
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't mean handling of metalink files, if that's what you thought. I mean something that searches based on file size or name. if you didn't mean metalink support, then I do not see on their websites that either of those support a mirror search. if they do, could you point it out?

I do believe that a download manager known as 'Download Studio' from the Publisher - 'Conceiva,' has an URL & Web searching feature resembling what you're probably looking for.

You may check the features of 'Download Studio' at the following link:

http://www.conceiva.com/products/downloadstudio/features.asp

I do not see such a feature listed nono.gif
I mean something that searches based on file size or name.

The following are extracts from the link that was provided to you in post # 4.

This refers to 'search by file name.'

File Range Downloader

Web sites that have many files often use file-naming conventions whereby they name their content using a series of numbers or letters. For example, a celebrity photo galley site may name its 'Angelina Jolie' photos as jolie001.jpg, jolie002.jpg, jolie003.jpg … jolie125.jpg. From this, you can see that they are just a series of photos numbered from 1 to 125.

Rather than having to do the tedious job of downloading each photo separately, DownloadStudio's File Range Downloader lets you enter the URL for one of the photos and then you can specify the file range for the download. In the above example, it may look like jolie[001-125].jpg. DownloadStudio will download each file in the file range for you. Download managers such as DownloadStudio that can download collections of files are extremely convenient and well suited to downloading files from photo gallery sites, music sites and video sites.

I mean something that searches based on file size or name.

This refers to 'search by file size.'

Web Site Downloader

DownloadStudio lets you download a complete web site, or to download just certain files that match your criteria from a web site.

Downloading a complete web site allows you to view the web site offline without being connected to the internet. All files for the web site are downloaded and the site is fully functional. This is great for offline browsing, for research purposes and for making regular backups of a web site.

Downloading certain files from a web site based on your criteria is a very powerful downloading technique for download managers. For example, DownloadStudio lets you get all photos from a web site, or to get all video files from a web site, or to get all music files from a web site. Only DownloadStudio lets you specify the exact criteria that you would like to use when downloading files from a web site - including file type, file size, file date, file location and more. For example, you may wish to download all JPEG images that are larger than 50KB from a particular web site. This would allow you to get all the large-sized photos from a photo gallery.

PS:- ;) For Heavens sake, let's bring this topic to an end, here - before people start thinking that I'm advocating 'Download Studio.' BTW, I run IDM (internet Download Manager 5.12) and one can use it like a 'Web Spider' to grab all links on a site (but let's not get into that.)

lol, I agree that we should end the topic, just because no one seems to have an answer to my question and I really doubt there is another app with the feature.

just for the record though, the things you described are NOT what i'm looking for. perhaps that was unclear. i wasn't asking for a feature to grab multiple files from a website. i was asking this: suppose you want to download "app.exe" from a website but the speed is really slow and the site doesn't list any mirrors. in getright, you can search for mirrors automatically for other files in a database that match "app.exe" and its file size so that you have more mirror sources to grab it from that you otherwise would not know about on your own.

the things you described have nothing at all to do with mirrors, but i appreciate the response nonetheless ;)

lol, I agree that we should end the topic, just because no one seems to have an answer to my question and I really doubt there is another app with the feature.

just for the record though, the things you described are NOT what i'm looking for. perhaps that was unclear. i wasn't asking for a feature to grab multiple files from a website. i was asking this: suppose you want to download "app.exe" from a website but the speed is really slow and the site doesn't list any mirrors. in getright, you can search for mirrors automatically for other files in a database that match "app.exe" and its file size so that you have more mirror sources to grab it from that you otherwise would not know about on your own.

the things you described have nothing at all to do with mirrors, but i appreciate the response nonetheless :rolleyes:

I think FDM has this feature... However i don't know if it searches mirrors automatically.

Here's the feature list: http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/features.htm

Archived