Which AntiVirus Do You Use & Why

Tweety.Abd

Was using avast free and was looking for a change so tried a lot of antivirus and selected eset nod32 a few days back and like it very much. Its even better than avast but eset is not free anyways no problem since i am a member of nsane forums..... :D

I liked kaspersky also but liked nod32 more, so i kept it.

For

Free = Avast

Paid = Nod32 or Kaspersky

• Replies 97
  • Views 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have tried nearly all these products over the years and always seem to come back to ESET and thats what I'm using until yesterday when I tried the tool for testing the firewall and was amazed how easy it was breached so installed Comodo firewall to run alongside ESET.No problems so far and the tool I used to test the firewall failed against Comodo! so feel a little more secure now.

• Administrator

I have tried nearly all these products over the years and always seem to come back to ESET and thats what I'm using until yesterday when I tried the tool for testing the firewall and was amazed how easy it was breached so installed Comodo firewall to run alongside ESET.No problems so far and the tool I used to test the firewall failed against Comodo! so feel a little more secure now.

Did you use Comodo leak test to test? Cause afaik, majority of Comodo leak test's attacks are based on HIPS and not firewall.

Microsoft Security Essentials 4.0.1512.0 (beta) = FREE -_-

before Kaspersky Internet Security for 6 years

once a month Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool check, just to be safe... :lol:

Avast 7 internet security+Malawrebytes pro....before using eset smart security for few years but setting firewall exceptions always pissed me off so i need to switch!Kis lags and slow update,Bitdefender is great but no license so Avast i new replacement and i like it!

Did you use Comodo leak test to test? Cause afaik, majority of Comodo leak test's attacks are based on HIPS and not firewall.

First time I,ve used anything to test my system,the programme I used was "Leaktest" and as I said ESET did not pick it up at all,Comodo did and is still going well on my system,full security now consists of-ESET+Comodo firewall+Malawrebytes pro+Superantispyware pro+admuncher+ghostery.Lets hope that keeps things sorted for a while!.

Well, I've been using NOD32 for a long time, several years.

Until recently, I've switched to Microsoft Security Essentials, and haven't had a single problem with it.

Also using Spybot Search & Destroy alongside with it.

The problem is that there's no AV software that can protect you from gullibility while browsing/searching for content on the Internet, thus no matter which AV you use, nothing will protect you completely, but I'm sure that most of the people are aware of that.

So, if you're careful, even a simple AV software will more than suffice your everyday security needs, in my opinion. :ninja2:

switched back to shajt` prevx v3 (not webroot).working great, sufficient detection rate small in size and RAM usage. perfect AV for a person who is more concerned about watching movies, listening to music etc than cyber security... ;)

oh yeah, with bufferzone from time to time

Is there really a need for an AV that is not free? I use MSE, it is good and quite, and free. But also let me reference this post about Win7 security and all that + common sense as someone already mentione earlier should be good enough. Even in my parents laptop they use MSE and mostly IE9 and they haven't had any problem. Of course I run some test for malware or spyware every now and then but no big problem.

Also as someone mentione before current security threats have to do more with a good browser and probably a good firewall.. in the end good operating system design should be enough to prevent virus (not that we are there yet.. but not that any proud linux user needs an AV anyways)

• 2 weeks later...

NOD32 + MBAM PRO. No problems so far. I don't see the point in having a firewall program. I just use a lot of add-ons on Firefox to ensure secure browsing.

Is there really a need for an AV that is not free? I use MSE, it is good and quite, and free. But also let me reference this post about Win7 security http://www.nsaneforu...lt-in-security/ and all that + common sense as someone already mentione earlier should be good enough. Even in my parents laptop they use MSE and mostly IE9 and they haven't had any problem. Of course I run some test for malware or spyware every now and then but no big problem.

Also as someone mentione before current security threats have to do more with a good browser and probably a good firewall.. in the end good operating system design should be enough to prevent virus (not that we are there yet.. but not that any proud linux user needs an AV anyways)

I watched a review for Avast and the user had an infected VM. He wasn't able to install Avast on the machine, so Avast has good realtime protection--it can block well--but it can't remove very well. Paid AVs do a good job at both.

NOD32 + MBAM PRO. No problems so far. I don't see the point in having a firewall program. I just use a lot of add-ons on Firefox to ensure secure browsing.

Well the point of a firewall has little to do with your browser or the websites you visit. Likely a browser only receives traffic from port 80, but there are many others. Is any kind of malicious software gets installed in your system either via download, usb or anything else, it may try to contact a remote server through a random port, firewalls prevent this kind of unauthorized traffic.

Well the point of a firewall has little to do with your browser or the websites you visit. Likely a browser only receives traffic from port 80, but there are many others. Is any kind of malicious software gets installed in your system either via download, usb or anything else, it may try to contact a remote server through a random port, firewalls prevent this kind of unauthorized traffic.

Well I haven't noticed anything happening, so I guess Windows firewall is just fine.

Switching over to ESS v5. Hopefully, I like it better than v4 because I remember 4 got on my nerves.

now trying bitdefender and it s amazing! :lol:

No slow downs? I tried and it slow down noticeably. I'm going to stick with ESET for now :)

No slow downs? I tried and it slow down noticeably. I'm going to stick with ESET for now :)

After opening the computer performing the scan.I guess it is some impact :huh:

Try scanning your system and tell me if there's any slow down. Also try to access lots of files on removable media (external HD), and see if there's any delay. If BitDefender was as light as ESET, I'd use it instead.

bitdefender

Try scanning your system and tell me if there's any slow down. Also try to access lots of files on removable media (external HD), and see if there's any delay. If BitDefender was as light as ESET, I'd use it instead.

bitdefender certainly slower than eset..it s big negative point!

on demand scan is really effective and scan speed impressive.. :showoff:

single point of dislike first 3-5 minutes pc is very sloww.its second negative point. :huh:

bitdefender try scan any connetcing device,but dont try external hd.i dont understand!!! :s

i think third negative point is scheuladed scan unavailable!discussed in this necessary.i dont know <_<

sharing experince continious... :P

Archived