C++ or Microsoft Visual Basic 6?

rapcoolink

Hello,

I would like to start learning programming and have two options which application I should take into: C++ or Microsoft visual basic.

I am totally new to this stuff so can somebody help me choose which is better for newbie like me? :rolleyes:

Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C++ and Microsoft visual basic aren't in same class. C++ and C# can be compared. I think, C# is powerful and easy to learn.

visual basic if it wasnt 6 lol you dont want a 1998 language to start off with truuust me

Don't bother with VB ;)

Don't bother with VB ;)

Why? VB is pretty easy to learn, and works just fine. Which do you use? From what I could figure when you posted in my topic about c++ tutorial, you don't use c++ if you don't have to, so what do you use?

Cheers ;)

Don't bother with VB ;)

Why? VB is pretty easy to learn, and works just fine. Which do you use? From what I could figure when you posted in my topic about c++ tutorial, you don't use c++ if you don't have to, so what do you use?

Cheers ;)

I mostly code in C# - http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/63411-interactive-tutorials-coders-vault/page__view__findpost__p__300479

The reason I don't like VB is because i found it to hinder my developer skills - it is not like other languages, and what you learn doesn't transfer well. Learning a C style language (C++,C#,Java) is no harder than VB, but you learn a coding style which allows you to move to another language without too much much hassle.

For a beginner, a C or C++ is more appropriate to learn... Once you get some basic of programming and want to advance to newer technology, you should switch to higher language, C#, or depends on what your target is.

Example, you want to make an app for iOS, then you should switch to Objective C (AND buy a Mac, or runs a hackintosh) - or maybe stay with C# but using MonoTouch FrameWork or similar framework that are available on the net (with some extra money). Or maybe you are interested to make an app for Android, then you should switch to Java, since it is the primary language to code for Android app (C++ is also available, but it is rarely used to develop an app for Android).

But the first step: learn the structured language first, either C or C++ are good as start. I don't recommend VB, and don't ask me why, it's only matter of opinion. OOP is second step once you have understood structured language programming. Good luck.

Thanks for all the advices, guys :) Now I am thinking about C++ to start learning. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you want to start coding small applications asap, then you'll find VB 6 interesting. But if you want to do more serious programming and learn a lot then c++ would be better. Vb 6 is very good for small prototypes, but the platform is not very reliable (not even sure if windows 8 will support vb6 runtime). If you want to learn programming for the long term, then start with VB 6 and move to the newer Vb.net technology. Note that VB.net is fully object oriented.

Or you could start with c++ and move to C# which also runs on the dot net platform.

VB is pretty easy to learn with easier syntax.

Why not try both and see which suits your needs best.

Good luck.

Peace

I mostly code in C# - http://www.nsaneforu...post__p__300479

The reason I don't like VB is because i found it to hinder my developer skills - it is not like other languages, and what you learn doesn't transfer well. Learning a C style language (C++,C#,Java) is no harder than VB, but you learn a coding style which allows you to move to another language without too much much hassle.

Well, I like VB. I started with programming on AutoIt. Then, we started to learn VB on faculty, and I couldn't believe how it was easy for me, since I sow that AutoIt is very similar to VB. Now, I'm starting with C++, and syntax logic is different. BTW, how to make for loop from one value to another. For example, I want to do the loop from 1 to 10 and the only way I could figure is like this:

for (i=1;i<11-1;i++)

In VB I could write

for i=1 to 10....

How to write the same thing in C++?

Cheers ;)

I'd grab Visual Basic 2010 and elect for custom at installation and just install those components that I like. JFTR, you could choose C++ as well.

Well, I like VB. I started with programming on AutoIt. Then, we started to learn VB on faculty, and I couldn't believe how it was easy for me, since I sow that AutoIt is very similar to VB. Now, I'm starting with C++, and syntax logic is different. BTW, how to make for loop from one value to another. For example, I want to do the loop from 1 to 10 and the only way I could figure is like this:

for (i=1;i<11-1;i++)

In VB I could write

for i=1 to 10....

Cheers ;)

I would do it this way:

for (int i = 1; i <= 10; i++)
It spells right away what you are trying to accomplish, with an integer starting from 1, up to 10, increment each run. :)

@OP:

For starting, out of those two languages I would recommend C++. VB6 is legacy code now and VB.Net is not my personal preference.

A great book (IMHO) is Starting out with C++ : early objects by Gaddis, I read the 6th ed but the 7th is already out. It helped me out a lot.

As others mentioned, you can start with C++ and then get into C# or Java later, and it will be easier. I'd say it's the best investment. :)

I would do it this way:

It spells right away what you are trying to accomplish, with an integer starting from 1, up to 10, increment each run. :)

Nice. Thank you!

Cheers ;)

for (i=1;i<11-1;i++)

In VB I could write

for i=1 to 10....

Cheers ;)

I would do it this way:

@OP:

For starting, out of those two languages I would recommend C++. VB6 is legacy code now and VB.Net is not my personal preference.

A great book (IMHO) is Starting out with C++ : early objects by Gaddis, I read the 6th ed but the 7th is already out. It helped me out a lot.

As others mentioned, you can start with C++ and then get into C# or Java later, and it will be easier. I'd say it's the best investment. :)

Could you please tell me how I could get the book you recommended? ^_^

Thanks.

• 6 months later...

Archived