Genuine Activation "nag" Comes to Office

Marik

15h20ls.pngOffice 2007 users will soon experience a new form of Office Genuine Advantage Anti-Piracy mechanism that will add in a nag like feature that has been seen in Windows from Windows Genuine Advantage. Office Genuine Advantage is already in all versions of Office XP and Office 2007 but only blocks certain updates when a copy is found to be pirated. As a part of the OGA Notification update that is being tested in Chile, Italy, Spain and Turkey, according to an April 8 announcement will include the new nag feature.

Microsoft is set to begin a pilot of a new Genuine Advantage anti-piracy mechanism for Office that will add a “nag-like” feature, akin to what is now part of Windows Vista, to Office.

Office already currently includes an Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) validation mechanism (for Office XP and Office 2007), but Microsoft doesn’t do a whole lot to “punish” those it deems to be running non-Genuine versions of Office. However, as part of a new OGA notifications pilot program — which Microsoft is launching in Chile, Italy, Spain and Turkey, according to an April 8 announcement buried in a Q&A on Microsoft’s Web site — Microsoft is set to turn up the unpleasantness a notch.

I asked Microsoft to explain what will happen in the new pilot. According to Cori Hartje, Director Genuine Software Initiative:

Today, in current OGA validation process, there is no visual & persistent representation within the experience of being a non-genuine Office user. The outcome for being non-genuine today is that the user does not gain access to Office templates and other downloads. In the pilot the non-genuine copy of Office will also have an icon on the toolbar or ribbon indicating that it is non-genuine.

Specifically, users of non-genuine Office in the pilot areas will receive a pop-up dialog box alerting them their Microsoft Office software is not genuine. The customer will receive this dialog box the first time they open an Office application each day, and again two hours later for a period of 30 days. They will also receive information on how to learn more about the issue, and how to acquire genuine Microsoft Office. After receiving these dialog box notifications for 30 days, Office applications will be marked with a visual reminder that the copy of Office is not genuine. Both the dialog box and/or the visual reminder will disappear once the customer gets genuine Office and/or uninstalls the non-genuine Office products. None of the visual cues presented will impair a customer from accessing their data or preparing documents.

In other words, the new OGA nagging won’t be like the old Windows kill switch. Instead it will be the kinder and gentler nagging which Microsoft adopted with Vista Service Pack (SP) 1.

There’s no exact timeframe I can find for how long the pilot will last or when Microsoft will broaden it to other countries. Microsoft says it will be delivering the new OGA notification mechanism via a “voluntary Microsoft update.” More fine print on the new OGA notification pilot:

There will be no personal data collected or shared with Microsoft as customers implement the OGA notifications update. These notifications are designed to help alert customers who have acquired and are using non-genuine Office. Once notified, customers can take action to reduce the risk of running counterfeit software by getting genuine Office through the online purchase programs or by going to a local authorized Microsoft reseller

Bottom line: Get ready for more nagging if you’re either an Office pirate or deemed to be one by Microsoft.

view.gif Source: zdnet

• Replies 10
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this mean that my corporate key i got from a cd that's use by more than a thousand people will give me the nagging shit that windows, until recently :balloon:, gave me? I hate Mshit...

Ooo.

:dance2:

The problem with this is that everyone i know (including school, work and stuff) use .doc format... And Openoffice has another format :dance2:

bearoninternet
Ooo.

:dance2:

The problem with this is that everyone i know (including school, work and stuff) use .doc format... And Openoffice has another format :dance2:

So? You can open .doc and save as .doc in Openoffice. Compatibility is not an issue.

Give it a try, you can run it without uninstalling office.

Ooo.

:rolleyes:

The problem with this is that everyone i know (including school, work and stuff) use .doc format... And Openoffice has another format :(

So? You can open .doc and save as .doc in Openoffice. Compatibility is not an issue.

Is it possible to type a file and save it as .doc too? Or do you have any plugin/addon for such a thing?

bearoninternet
Ooo.

:rolleyes:

The problem with this is that everyone i know (including school, work and stuff) use .doc format... And Openoffice has another format :(

Is it possible to type a file and save it as .doc too? Or do you have any plugin/addon for such a thing?

No plugins, just save as .doc or .xml .ott or whatever fills your need.

You convinced me, sounds great. Definitely going to try it soon.

but isn't oxygenoffice better than openoffice?

bearoninternet

Depends on your needs.

OxygenOffice Professional contains more extras like templates, cliparts, samples, fonts and VBA support.

I personally dont need those extras (to me it is like bloatware), plus i like to use the most recent version.

At this time, for ooo that is 2.4, ooop is still at 2.3.

So i'd say, at the moment, definitely not just better.

Depends on your needs.

OxygenOffice Professional contains more extras like templates, cliparts, samples, fonts and VBA support.

I personally dont need those extras (to me it is like bloatware), plus i like to use the most recent version.

At this time, for ooo that is 2.4, ooop is still at 2.3.

So i'd say, at the moment, definitely not just better.

oxygen office used to be open office pro.same thing only some additions some people need.i have used this in place of ms office since 2000 and never had to go back.in fact i still have my originasl copy of ms office 2000 is anybodys inetrested.haha

Archived