Google starts rolling out a new look

beer

INTERNET SEARCH GIANT Google has started rolling out a new look interface for some users.

The redesign shifts the web page layout and how users can access the different parts of Google. The firm has replaced the previous horizontal black bar at the top with a grey logo, from which a drop down menu can be accessed.

google-new-look-2012-540x334.JPG?1325586776

Google announced the revamp a while ago and said, "We're now ready for the next stage of our redesign - a new Google bar that will enable you to navigate quickly between our services, as well as share the right stuff with the right people easily on Google+."

The list displays links to Google's other services such as Maps, Gmail, Google+ and News, each with its own icon. However, the first eight items listed also contains a link to Youtube, a non-Google branded service. A 'more' button then reveals additional content as usual.

It's more minimalist than before but actually there are more clicks required to get places. Google said the changes will make navigation and sharing "super simple".

Google said, "We have rolled out the new Google bar to some users and are looking to broaden the rollout in the coming weeks." So not everyone will see the new look yet, and only one member of The INQUIRER staff has it so far.

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I changed to the New Google Bar and now my Google homepage looks like this

by BEER

zorg.jpg

get-the-new-google-bar-600x371.jpg

Before I decided to upodate, I was anticipating an even more minimalistic UI than the old black bar UI. But little did I know, the picture of the google homepage you see above is the default look of the homepage.

Instead of a thin horizontal black bar, it is now replaced by a fat vertical black menu bar that takes up a good portion of the page. The black dropdown menu will only go away if you click somewhere on the screen and there is no option to disable it. They really need to make an option to either keep it minimized by default, or let users switch back to the classic black bar.

Good thing I use firefox keyword for searches as I am already tired looking at the new page.

For those that want to manually update to the new Google Bar now, here are the instructions:

Open the Script Console:

Chrome: Ctrl+Shift+J

Firefox: Ctrl+Shift+K

IE: Press F12 and select the "console" tab

Copy and paste the following into the console input area:

document.cookie="PREF=ID=03fd476a699d6487:U=88e8716486ff1e5d:FF=0:LD=en:CR=2:TM=1322688084:LM=1322688085:S=McEsyvcXKMiVfGds; path=/; domain=.google.com";window.location.reload();

really hate this change... :grumpy:

...................................................................................

Really love this approach :thumbsup:

by BEER

zorg.jpg

Archived