Apple, Google Want You to Forget Your Password

beer

22823_16_google-facial-recognition-app.jpeg

Both companies point towards facial recognition as future log-in

How much time is wasted on creating, managing, remembering, inevitably forgetting, and then resetting a password for your internet-based logins?

If Apple and Google have their way, that question may soon be a thing of the past.

The Times of India reports that both companies are working on more sophisticated and personal ways for users to log in to their various accounts, using facial recognition instead of an input character set.

Last week, Apple applied for a patent in the United States for technology called "Low Threshold Face Recognition."

"Using a forward-facing camera to recognize an individual user, future iPhones and iPads from Apple could automatically customize applications, settings, and features to a user's personal preferences once they pick up the device," explains Apple Insider.

The patent differs from most current facial recognition, which can be a drain on the battery, by focusing on a "high information portion" of a user's face rather than their entire mug. In particular, the device will measure the distance between their eyes and mouth to confirm the user’s identity, giving new meaning to the phrase, "You're holding it wrong."

Meanwhile, Google's Android 4.0 ("Ice Cream Sandwich") comes equipped with face-recognition technology that unlocks a phone by detecting a user's face through its front-facing camera.

However, as PC Mag reports, the technology in its current form is actually less secure than a character-based PIN or password, as one blogger actually unlocked a Samsung Galaxy Nexus using a photograph of the user.

Wonder how they will overcome the user photograph hack :think:

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could require the user to blink first before activating the facial recognition software like what Luxand Blink Pro does.

They could require the user to blink first before activating the facial recognition software like what Luxand Blink Pro does.

i didn't even think of that.

Yeahhhhhh... No.

I'll stick to my secure passwords for my accounts. And for my phone? It doesn't need a password, I can just lock it remotely should it ever get stolen :)

Step 1. Take a scrap of paper.

Step 2. Write down randomly generated pass for each website.

Step 3. Don't take it with you everywhere you go. Remember only the essential ones (e-mail, nsane, etc...)

Step 4. Don't browse for every piece of crap you think might potentially look like being the thing you think you want to download.

Step 5. Never let a phone replace your PC (It's like walking in the street with your wallet in your hands, and then waving it about.).

Step 6. Don't use vulnerable websites.

Step 7. Never deviate from this.

And there you go. This happens to be the best way of managing your passwords. Also doubles as a damn fine way of keeping your PC and mobile clean as well.

Two for one. Win-win. Peace out.

I need to figure out how to lock my phone remotely if it gets stolen. I know there is that feature in many security apps but I was supposed to explore the native Android protection mechanism but I have not done it yet.

Step 3. Don't take it with you everywhere you go. Remember only the essential ones (e-mail, nsane, etc...)

Step 4. Don't browse for every piece of crap you think might potentially look like being the thing you think you want to download.

Step 5. Never let a phone replace your PC (It's like walking in the street with your wallet in your hands, and then waving it about.).

Step 6. Don't use vulnerable websites.

Step 7. Never deviate from this.

(...)

What about using lastpass? You have to remember only one password and all your other passwords are randomly generated ones.

Well, you could do that, but only in addition to the scrap of paper.

Plus, lastpass had that security breach not too long ago.

You'll be surprised on how many people forgets about this ^_^

Just wanted to add: don't write your personal info on the piece of paper(name, address, phone #, etc), or else I will be seeing you in the news ^_^ "Reckelss nsaner raped..."

But it is definitely good advice to not save important and sensitive info in your smart phone, especially if you have a history of losing things.

I wonder how does remote lock work? LogMeIn?

• Administrator

^_^ "Reckelss nsaner raped..."

:rofl:

Archived