Hidden Folders Are Now Unhidden

Knightmare

Recently ran Combofix on my computer and noticed that after I ran it, some of the folders that were hidden are now unhidden. I'm not sure how many folders were affected by it, so is there a way (a program?) to hide the folders that were hidden by default before the scan, e.g., "C:\$RECYCLE.BIN"?

• Replies 6
  • Views 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can see "C:\$RECYCLE.BIN" then it is "protected operating system files" you are seeing. In explorer go to tools>folder options>view and make sure to tick the box that says "Hide protected operating system files(recommended)" while your there you can also decide whether to show hidden files and folders and tick the appropriate box. g/l

edited because I f*cked up...lol

If combofix did NOT find anything (dont want to "restore" anything bad it found) you could try to restore your system via system restore. Combofix may have made a restore point prior to its scan.

Haha! Funny story: I turn off system restore because I don't like it taking up any space. This was the first thing I noticed when I went through my system, so I deleted the restore point, turned off system restore, and then found out about my folders being unhidden. I was hoping for a program similar to "Unhide" except the opposite. Or I was hoping that Microsoft would have a quick fix that I could download and run.

I'm afraid that when these files are unhidden, they stay that way. It's happened to me a few times before, and I've never been able to hide them back. Except when reinstalling the OS. :(

unknownasphyxiated

try check the folder attribute

if still got system and hidden attribute, then its registry problem

you won't find system attribute at "properties" but you will know it is system because hidden is gray out and cannot be edit

p/s : usually i don't recommend people to use combofix unless they know what changes will be made

Archived