Deleting Smartware Software/Hidden partition off WD 2TB 3.0 usb external HDD

Chris`

I recently purchased a new External HDD and it came pre loaded with this crapware Smartware stuff. Unfortunaley my PS3 won't ercognize my HDD due to the first partition being NFTS and loaded with this crapware. I have done some research and have concluded that this is loaded into the HDD's firmware. Does anybody know of a way to delete this hidden partition and get rid of this Smartware so my ps3 will be able to recognize it. I bought this HDD before the xmas holidays and cannot return it for a refund, so if I cannot find a way to delete this hidden partition it will pretty much be a paper weight as i have no need for extra HD space for my computer.

Thanks In Advance everyone.

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

better yet tell sony that this is the 21 century and start supporting nfts. these assholes didnt support S Video for vhs never.but they had it on their dvd and tvs.

WD says that it is in the chipset, so is it impossible to get rid of it? I am trying updating firmware and Hiren's Boot Disk will post with update

• 2 weeks later...

ive had this issue with my 1tb portable WD drive he best thing is that i came up with is to disable the virtual drive completely through the software it has on the drive, it still will have the apps unless you delete them but what i did is i just played with the settings within the app and it let me use it on mine.

this doesn't delete the partition as it is in the firmware. It only disables the software. There is no way to fully remove the software, only disable it. But thanks anyways. I have since bought a 1tb seagate drive as this is compatible with ps3

One thing you might want to try is Darik's Boot And Nuke. If the VHD is part of the hard drive, Darik's will destory anything on that drive. That might work.

-BTY

Archived