FireFox 3

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Dear Readers,

Okay I honestly am not too sure what setting I might have changed or didn't change.. But for some reason ever since I upgraded to FireFox3 on my Desktop, I can't seem to get some streams to show up on screen, but when using IE it does.

Ex.

Clicky

^There should be a Streaming Video on that page.. So I am not too sure if I somehow changed a setting without knowing that might have caused this to happen...

{A bit scared to uninstall FireFox3 and downgrade to FireFox 2, as I am not sure if I use Your Uninstaller 2008, if it will delete my profile and whatnot. =X}

---------------

I am sorry, you can delete this, as I just took the risk and uninstalled FF3 and downgrade to Ff2, only problem is my Bookmarks got a bit screwy and can't load the ones saved from FF3 as they are incompatible ><

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A i'm glad to see your problem is fixed, but there should be some setting in FF (or Fx, whatever, right marik? :)) to export all settings related stuff, which is compatible with ALL of their clients from 2.0 and up. That'd be nice wouldn't it? And don't come and tell me(/us) now that there already is one...

Edit: (If you want you can delete my post as well, i'll probably post it somewhere else or just send it to the guys at mozilla...)

A i'm glad to see your problem is fixed, but there should be some setting in FF (or Fx, whatever, right marik? :)) to export all settings related stuff, which is compatible with ALL of their clients from 2.0 and up. That'd be nice wouldn't it? And don't come and tell me(/us) now that there already is one...

Edit: (If you want you can delete my post as well, i'll probably post it somewhere else or just send it to the guys at mozilla...)

You mean like this one? :)

FEBE

SacredCultivator

^I use that but strangely... With FF3 whenever i tried ot back-up my profile I got an error.. So wasn't too sure as to what to do =X

And my Bookmarks have the extension JSON after it.. Which seems to me to be incompatible with FF2 becuase I tried opening with FF2 and it didn't work, (Importing)

Argh, i knew i should've searched for something like that... Well thanks for doing that for me :) Now i don't have to :)

I'm using the latest beta (FF 3 Beta 5) and EVERYTHING is working fine, much better than FF2 that sux in comaparision to FF3 that has more speed etc.

I use all my addons Adblock Plus, CustomizeGoogle, Greasemonkey and the IDM plugin. Most of thoose addons were inactivated when FF upgrade from beta 4 to 5 so i just made a little change in the addons files and they were up and running. I even got alla my plugins like Quicktime Alternative, WMP Alternative and Real Alternative working like a charm LOVE BETA <3

To back-up exact every setting you have done in FF just copy the Mozilla folder in %appdata% (START-meny -> RUN -> enter: %appdata%)

To use addons which haven't been updated to the latest beta, be sure that the addons have been updated o atleast some FF 3 beta version, almost all FF2.x is isn't going to work with FF3 beta, thoose old addons can make your FF hang / crash so be sure to back up your profile first.

There are three methods.

Easiest method: install the addon Nightly Tester https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6543 and use that to make your addons comatible

Advanced without a extra addon: Open about:config in your Firefox browser, right click the list and create a boolean extensions.checkCompatibility option there. Set its value to false and restart the browser.

Expert:

1. Close your browser

2. Go to the folder with all your Firefox extensions:

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\PROFILE\extensions In this line, USER is to be replaced with your Windows login, and PROFILE will be the name of your Firefox profile (weird looking folder name, usually the only one found in Profiles folder)

3. You’ll see a list of folders there, 1 folder for each extension. The names of the folders are the unique identifiers for extensions, so they may seem scary at first:

{34274bf4-1d97-a289-e984-17e546307e4f} - this is the Adblock extension GUID.

4. Go to any folder, and open the install.rdf file for editing with your favorite clear text editor. Notepad works, but using it will make things even harder cause it doesn’t part rdf files properly. Your choice :( Now back to the business. You need to look for 2 things:

* name of the extension, to make sure you’re editing the right oneJust look for the em:name, and try to recognize the extension from the description that follows:

<!– Front End MetaData –>

<em:name>Adblock</em:name>

<em:description>Filters ads from web-pages</em:description>

<em:creator>The Adblock Crew</em:creator>

<em:contributor>Henrik Aasted Sorensen</em:contributor>

* a block of minimal and maximum Firefox versions the extension will work on.

Warning: there could be few similar blocks with versions, so make sure you’ll edit the one which has EXACTLY this em:id, the one which belongs to Firefox browser: ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384.

<!– FireFox –>

<em:targetApplication>

<Description>

<em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>

<em:minVersion>0.7</em:minVersion>

<em:maxVersion>1.5</em:maxVersion>

</Description>

</em:targetApplication>

5. Edit the maxVersion parameter (shown in bold to make it easier), and change it from 1.5 to 2.0b2.

6. Remove the extensions.cache file from the C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\PROFILE\ folder - this will make sure Firefox will read all the changes from install.rdf files and pick up the now “compatible” extension

7. Restart your browser, enable the previously disabled extension you’ve just edited

8. Restart your browser again to activate this extension

I haven't written all of this, that I didn't write is copied from: http://www.perfectblogger.com/2006/09/make...-with-firefox2/

Archived