USB AntiVirus

Tweety.Abd

Hey!

I'm having to use my flash drive (USB) more often know as I sometimes have to take presentations, documents etc. and for that I have to plug my drive into various computers, most of which are infected with viruses. One of them was so bad that it successfully able to block my transfers to my drive and I could not transfer any files to it. Though I completely removed the virus using my computer's AV, but I would to a solution to protect my drive from any infections, or at least the ones that propagate through flash drives. Alternatively, it'd be great to know of any solution which can remove the malwares from the computers too. The computers are restricted/limited account, so I could not install any AV softwares. What's worse is that I can't even reboot the computer, and thus I could not run Norton Power Eraser. I'd be very grateful if anyone could provide me with a solution.

Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Views 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for accessing my personal data from unknown / suspect computers, one solution i've found is to use a memory card with a usb stick type card reader. the one advantage memory cards offer is that they can be write protected which means they can't be modified by a virus/other malware. it isn't 100% foolproof but better than a flash drive most of which can't be write protected although you might be able to find one/some if you looked hard enough (depends on your location really)

for accessing my personal data from unknown / suspect computers, one solution i've found is to use a memory card with a usb stick type card reader. the one advantage memory cards offer is that they can be write protected which means they can't be modified by a virus/other malware. it isn't 100% foolproof but better than a flash drive most of which can't be write protected although you might be able to find one/some if you looked hard enough (depends on your location really)

I'm not sure if I'll be able to find write protected USB drive, even if I did, I don't have much money to spare for it. The other thing is that, there's no card reader available, only USB ports, so I can't use them. But thanks for the reply :)

just buy a usb card reader and a couple of sd or microsd cards. very economical and very easily available.

i have hiren's bootcd, hiren's bootdvd, ubuntu, ultimate bootcd, windows xp everything on write protected microsd cards

Forgive me, I forgot to state that I use my drive to download the files from the computer to the drive, and with write-protection on, it wouldn't work. I will consider buying one card reader and cards, they seem to be handy. Thank you for your help :)

a pleasure :)

just for your information, since you've never used them this way before, if you buy SD or SDHC cards they will fit into the card reader directly but if you buy minisd or microsd cards make sure it comes with an SD card sized adapter/jacket so the card goes into the jacket and the jacket (with the write protect switch) goes into the card reader

a pleasure :)

just for your information, since you've never used them this way before, if you buy SD or SDHC cards they will fit into the card reader directly but if you buy minisd or microsd cards make sure it comes with an SD card sized adapter/jacket so the card goes into the jacket and the jacket (with the write protect switch) goes into the card reader

Thanks for the information :) Since I cannot have one of those in the short run, is there a temporary solution to the malware problem? Is there any such thing as USB AntiVirus?

• 2 weeks later...

Give this a try by developer from MDL Forums Josh Cell he calls it

AutoRun Antivirus Pro :

Is able to protect and vaccine all devices, including the USB Flash Devices, External HDDs, and System drives, against all type of autorun viruses in one click or automatically at startup

http://www.joshcellsoftwares.com/2011/12/autorun-antivirus-pro-professional.html

Archived