Dell Inspiron E1405 Memory(RAM)

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Dear Readers,

I am a little confused about RAM for my system.

As I was just reading around about RAM as my system ahs 2.00GB's of RAM when i purchased it BUT it had a 4GB RAM Option which was too pricey at the time.. More or less I was ripped off as less than a Month after Purchase the new model Vostro's came out which basically had the same specs I UPGRADED on my Laptop STANDARD and at a MUCH cheaper price....

But apart from that...

I came across this Page, and says my system supports 2.0GB max. So does that mean PER slot? or in Total?

As my cousin got a $150Coupon for purchasing her XPS Notebook and has nothing to buy so she asked if there was anything I'd like.. As I do a lot of Encoding (For fansubbing) on my Laptop, I thought the Extra RAM could help, even if my Systemw ill recognize only 3if I am not mistaken as it isn't a 64-bit system (Using WinXP 32-bit){Still iffy on Vista}, but yeah, found a decently priced 4GM RAM(2x2GB sticks), but if 2.0GB is the max then upgrading would be absolutely useless...

So I thought I best ask to see about this before making the purchase.

So any help would be helpful thank you.

And if you need further information do ask.

Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you please give me the name and model of your motherboard?(Scratch that...) You can always open your case and check how many memory slots are in use...

I don't think extra RAM will do your encoding speeds much good

Another edit: See here: http://://www.dell.com/content/products/produ...on=specs#tabtop

Your laptop just supports 2GB max. It's their own site so i guess the information on that is legit. But as i said before: extra RAM won't help you much with encoding speed, maybe if you're encoding whilst doing other things on your laptop, but i guess you're not. I always start the encoding before i leave and when i get back it's finished :rolleyes:

SacredCultivator

@Shought: The thing is... Yeah I read that page as i did a bunch of surfing around... And I went ot Crucial.com and they said my model can support to 4GB's and the E1504(15Inch) is 2.. So that got me abit ehhh?

Reading aroudn the Dell forums didn't help much either as people never gave a straight answer... Tried contacting their Techs online but had some trouble...

Here is the Crucial Link

Ahh found a new source:

Success

Hmmm i see, well when i first read your post and saw your laptop had 2 banks for memory i thought it'd be most logical that it would support 2 times 2GB... Can't you try it with someone else's RAM?

Edit: On the Crucial website you should notice this:

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-4200 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

I don't know what is meant by that exactly but it might mean that the system only supports 2GB...

SacredCultivator

@Shought: Yeah I am pretty sure mine doe shave 2 slots never opened to check. More or less rading around that Forums a LOT of people are still saying 2GB is the most with ONLY that post I linked having success.. So i am not sure.

Can't test with someone else's ram due to no one else has my model/ a model that uses the same one.

@Shought: Yeah I am pretty sure mine doe shave 2 slots never opened to check. More or less rading around that Forums a LOT of people are still saying 2GB is the most with ONLY that post I linked having success.. So i am not sure.

Can't test with someone else's ram due to no one else has my model/ a model that uses the same one.

Ah ok, well i'd say: don't take the bet... Chances are pretty slim that your system will support 4GB since the only website that seems to be 'aware' of this is Crucial and they're the ones wanting to sell more when they can :P I'm quite sure your system has 2 slots(as are you), but this doesn't say it supports 2x 2GB.

As i mentioned a few times before :P I don't think additional RAM will improve your performance much... (Not in encoding and such) In overall performance, of course it will.

Edit: Hmmmm the other site has an interesting discussion... As said there: find a company with a good return policy and check out if they work or not, according to most of them it should work though! So i guess i'll have to take back what i said previously :welcome:

SacredCultivator

But hmm lol I dunno's I just called their Tech Support, just to make sure and nope they did say only 2.0, even after mentioning that they sold the 4GB for my model on their site, but they simply said max is 2GB for my model.. So blehs, guess that is that.

As I don't want to shed the $126 for the 4GB to find out that they will be 'useless' in my system.

Although quite curious about that post that had succedded...

Cause i remember reading something about having to upgrade/date the BIOS or something.

Archived