Eset Smart Security...and xbox live problem..RESOLVED

alaindc

i install Eset Smart security (with mars-fix 2.0) less than a week ago. (interactif firewall setting)

today, i power on my xbox 360 for the first time since...and i can't connect to live.

the firewall ask me if i want to share things with it, i said yes.

in the xbox troubleshooting test, it fail at dns.

so...

i tried to make some rule, with the 360 ip address, and allow everything to/from it.

now it fail at the MTU test, the last one...

after reading the few topics i find, searching in google, it seem noone have a solution.

all topics i have read...give up, and use nod32 antivirus and another firewall, like comodo.

i wasn't having any problem with xbox live, and comodo firewall...except sharing my media files (can't do it with ESS either).

if anyone have a solution, or some idea to try, reply please.

if i can't make it work, i will use nod32 antivirus, and comodo firewall, but i would prefer not...

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

r u using the 3.0621 version? Theres some bug in the firewall. If u put it to automatic things will be fine. Try n lemme kno

3.0.642 FR version.

automatic mode say... the firewall will allow outgoing normal connection, and stop incoming connection unwanted. ok for most user.

interactive mode is more permissive, and will ask the user what to do, if there is no rule.

i tried automatic...and nothing.

but thank's for trying.

anybody using ESS and connecting to xbox live?

I'm not XBox user, but:

* You can recover XBox IP or MAC number and then, add it to "trusted zone" (setup configuration-firewall-rules & zones)

I suggest you try this first. ESS may detect Xbox than a part of your network (same way that a printer).

Perhaps this help you! :)

I'm not XBox user, but:

* You can recover XBox IP or MAC number and then, add it to "trusted zone" (setup configuration-firewall-rules & zones)

I suggest you try this first. ESS may detect Xbox than a part of your network (same way that a printer).

Perhaps this help you! :)

good thinking...

i forgot to say, in my first post, that i try that.

i have try all i can think of...so ESS think my xbox 360 is safe.

to resume...

at first power on, ESS detect the 360, and i allow it to share files, etc, in this network (but i can't read any files on the 360)

360 can't connect, fail at dns test.

i try to add rules, with my 360 IP address, to allow everything.

360 can't connect, pass dns test, fail at MTU test

i then try to add the 360 ip to my trusted zone.

nothing change.

i even try to add my network adapter mac address, from with the 360 connect, to the trusted zone, without success.

i also try to reboot a few time, to be sure the new config is effective, without success...

if i turn off the firewall network security, the 360 connect within seconds...

maybe the firewall try to control too much the connection, even in the trusted zone.

i made the test this morning again, and...same result

fail at MTU test

it seem ESS firewall don't allow high enough MTU, even in his trusted.

i will probably need to use another firewall (comodo)

i haven't try nod32 antivirus 3.x, only ESS.

did he use the same interface as ESS?

Edit: Please do this first: Go to Advanced setup of ESS and go to IDS and advanced options and check 'Allow incoming streams from the Internet via the IGMP protocol'. Did this do the trick?

Do this: Go into Advanced setup of ESS and go to IDS and advanced options, then check 'Log all blocked connections'. Now go to Tools and then Log files and select ESET Personal firewall log and right click one of the entries. Click 'Copy all' and paste them into a txt file or if you wish you can find the relevant ip address and the log reference it has and post that here.

Edit: Please do this first: Go to Advanced setup of ESS and go to IDS and advanced options and check 'Allow incoming streams from the Internet via the IGMP protocol'. Did this do the trick?

Do this: Go into Advanced setup of ESS and go to IDS and advanced options, then check 'Log all blocked connections'. Now go to Tools and then Log files and select ESET Personal firewall log and right click one of the entries. Click 'Copy all' and paste them into a txt file or if you wish you can find the relevant ip address and the log reference it has and post that here.

i won't give up on ESS yet, because i love it, and i really want it to work.

yesterday i try to allow UPNP in the trusted zone, without success.

i just try, thank's to you, to 'Allow incoming streams from the Internet via the IGMP protocol'

not working

i then check the 'Log all blocked connections', and check the logs . (why didn't i think to do that before)

when the 360 boot up, i have this

Aucune règle utilisable trouvée 207.134.231.31 224.0.0.22 IGMP

when i try to connect to xbox live, i have this...

Communication refusée par la règle 65.59.234.163:88 207.134.231.31:61739 UDP refuser autres ports entrant

Communication refusée par la règle 65.59.234.163:88 207.134.231.31:61741 UDP refuser autres ports entrant

Communication refusée par la règle 65.59.234.163:88 207.134.231.31:61743 UDP refuser autres ports entrant

Communication refusée par la règle 65.59.234.163:88 207.134.231.31:61746 UDP refuser autres ports entrant

Communication refusée par la règle 65.59.234.163:88 207.134.231.31:61748 UDP refuser autres ports entrant

the source 65.59.234.163:88 is probably one xbox live server?

the second is my PC IP address.

it seem xbox live need some unusual udp port to connect successfully

and if i open these port, i will be unsafe?

unless, maybe i can make a rule, with this IP, and allow UDP with these port(or all)

what puzzle me, in the rule we can add...

is that we can't move them, like other firewall, up/down.

so, even if i allow all to the 360 ip adress, the rule is still last.

so...i try to add a rule...

allow UDP in, from port 61735 to 755 , from ip 65.59.234.163

and i got this log

Communication refusée par la règle 65.59.234.161:3074 207.134.231.31:61749 UDP refuser autres ports entrant

i then add the IP 65.59.234.161 to the rule...and add now 162 too...

and I CAN CONNECT TO XBOX LIVE!

if this happen again, because it connect me to another server...i will add his IP to the rule

i will try to find a list of xbox live server, to add to the list...

thank's a lot Shought!

when i try to connect to xbox live, i have this...

Communication refusée par la règle 65.59.234.163:88 207.134.231.31:61739 UDP refuser autres ports entrant

Communication refusée par la règle 65.59.234.163:88 207.134.231.31:61741 UDP refuser autres ports entrant

Communication refusée par la règle 65.59.234.163:88 207.134.231.31:61743 UDP refuser autres ports entrant

the source 65.59.234.163:88 is probably one xbox live server?

the second is my PC IP address.

it seem xbox live need some unusual udp port to connect successfully

and if i open these port, i will be unsafe?

unless, maybe i can make a rule, with this IP, and allow UDP with these port(or all)

You won't really be unsafe anyway, the chance of someone searching your IP for that port is very very very small. But can't you just open those port up to the 'Trusted Zone' and add the XBOX to that?

Edit: Hah! :D I was just about to edit my post and put that info in. Well nice job that you found it out yourself. I'm glad i could help you :)

i just edit my post, Shought.

i add a rule, from allowing in these UDP port, from the xbox live server IP.

i will add new IP, if needed (i have 3 for now, 65.59.234.161 to 163).

checking the logs was the best idea of all.

thank's a lot Shought

thank's to all who try to help

i will now enjoy even more Eset Smart Security

have a good day, everyone

i just edit my post, Shought.

i add a rule, from allowing in these UDP port, from the xbox live server IP.

i will add new IP, if needed (i have 2 for now).

checking the logs was the best idea of all.

thank's a lot Shought

thank's to all who try to help

i will now enjoy even more Eset Smart Security

have a good day, everyone

@ Shought: Good idea!

@ alaindc: Good work! And yes, I'm believing too ESS is a very good program.

I'm sure this can helps a lot of XBox users

i did some test, changing some of the option i change, to see what i exactly need.

to resume...

for ESS to work on xbox live we need to...

Go into Advanced setup of ESS and...

in rule and zone setting,

zone, add the xbox 360 IP adress to the trusted zone

in rule, add a new rule, that allow tcp/udp in/out to the 360 IP adress (or it will fail the DNS test)

then...

in ESS advanced settings, go to IDS and advanced options, then check 'Log all blocked connections'.

Now go to Tools and then Log files and select ESET Personal firewall log

see what log will happen when you try to connect to live.

now, in advanced setting, rules and Zone

add a new rule.

allow UDP connection from 65.59.234.161-to 163 (or the one you see), to local port 61700-900 (to be sure since it's not always the same)

this work with xbox live.

i have undo all other things i tried, so, this seem to be how to do it

nice work Shought

Thanks usman, but alaindc did a good job by himself too :rolleyes: He figured it out the same moment i did :)

Archived