Webroot or PrevX?

Alanon

I've been using PrevX SafeOnline (thanks to shajt :notworthy: ), and it works splendidly.

However, I've also read that PrevX has been acquired by Webroot, and is using its cloud engine for the new Secure Anywhere suite.

The choice so far has been an easy one, because PrevX was the only one cracked. However, in this topic (http://www.nsaneforu...ete-2012-80120/) there is a cracked version.

So my question would be, if Webroot has the same tech, does that mean that it's as good as PrevX? I've seen tests where it rated poorly. Should we PrevX fans switch to Webroot?

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Moved to Security and Privacy Center. Discussion about any security softwares should be here.

Fixes aimed threads, however, are fine in Software Chat. ;)

Well, thanks a lot guys, I've ditched PrevX and installed WSA. Seems even lighter than PrevX. Let's hope it's as good...

How well does, webroot secure anywhere 2012 function without an internet connection?Does it have signatures too or just cloud based.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete (their "Top Of The Line") when it went Final early in September, and it was a HORRIBLE waste of money! It removes NO malware, stops little to none, and constantly blocks/quarantines (really obvious) false positives. The Website adviser is a completely useless pain, and the password manager is just a handicapped issue of LastPass, It IS fairly light, if Aggravation Without Protection is acceptable. There is very little user control, and the firewall (a front for Windows 7's quite good built-in firewall) is a waste, as it has no useful user control. At least it doesn't stop you from opening the Win 7 firewall and configuring it the way you want - it just doesn't help in any way.I realize this seems like a rant, but it really isn't. I don't dislike the Webroot company; I wanted this app to be good and I really thought this was going to be a more complete version of the excellent "Prevx". The people at their "Banker's Hours Only" help desk are quite nice, and seem intelligent enough, but their job is to help with licenses and registration - not to magically make this a worthwhile security app over the phone. I have licenses for pretty much every major security software, and Webroot is the least effective and by far the most false-positive prone of any of them.(it seems to particularly dislike portable softwares and taskmanager type apps). I hope it works for others, and I absolutely hope it improves enough that I can use it in the near future, since I already paid for it. If you like the sound of it like I did, make sure you use the free trial and thoroughly test it against some real-world malware/spyware crap before you hand over your cash. I didn't, because I got a "deal" on it and the fanboys over at Wilders seemed excited about it (they are just web-addicts like a lot of other people and don't actually know any more than you, me or my boozey neighbor). I found that "deal" from the Download Crew at 3 in the morning :frusty: for what it's worth.

Archived