Shortcut for Safely Remove Hardware

dock98

If you often use removable USB devices like a flash drive, you are probably already familiar with the Safely Remove Hardware icon that sits in the system tray. The problem for many people is that the icon is tiny, and clicking it just right to bring up the menu is a pain. Can't we just make a shortcut to bring up the dialog

Of course you can, and it's really quite easy. Easier than trying to click the tiny icon in the tray, at least…

Heres How:

post-3563-1205690950_thumb.png

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bearoninternet
If you often use removable USB devices like a flash drive, you are probably already familiar with the Safely Remove Hardware icon that sits in the system tray. The problem for many people is that the icon is tiny, and clicking it just right to bring up the menu is a pain. Can't we just make a shortcut to bring up the dialog

Of course you can, and it's really quite easy. Easier than trying to click the tiny icon in the tray, at least…

Heres How:

Just unplug the darn thing and forget about the safe removal nag.

I am waiting for a "it's now it is safe to plug your device in" popup.

And yeah i know there could be data lost if you're reading / writing from a disk while unplugging your device.

But thats a good lesson for noobs to learn it the hard way. :dance2:

Just unplug the darn thing and forget about the safe removal nag.

I am waiting for a "it's now it is safe to plug your device in" popup.

And yeah i know there could be data lost if you're reading / writing from a disk while unplugging your device.

But thats a good lesson for noobs to learn it the hard way. :dance2:

Why the hell would you unplug you device whilst reading/writing data anyway... (Reading doesn't matter as far as i know)

If you often use removable USB devices like a flash drive, you are probably already familiar with the Safely Remove Hardware icon that sits in the system tray. The problem for many people is that the icon is tiny, and clicking it just right to bring up the menu is a pain. Can't we just make a shortcut to bring up the dialogOf course you can, and it's really quite easy. Easier than trying to click the tiny icon in the tray, at least…Heres How:
Just unplug the darn thing and forget about the safe removal nag.I am waiting for a "it's now it is safe to plug your device in" popup.And yeah i know there could be data lost if you're reading / writing from a disk while unplugging your device.But thats a good lesson for noobs to learn it the hard way. :dance2:
Just unplug the darn thing and forget about the safe removal nag.I am waiting for a "it's now it is safe to plug your device in" popup.And yeah i know there could be data lost if you're reading / writing from a disk while unplugging your device.But thats a good lesson for noobs to learn it the hard way. :blink:
Why the hell would you unplug you device whilst reading/writing data anyway... (Reading doesn't matter as far as i know)
thats what i do.its justfor people that want to do things by the book.thats what i do.its just for people that want to do things by the book.

thats what i do.its justfor people that want to do things by the book.

Doing everything by the book might save your ass some time, but it won't save your time! I always just unplug my devices and none have ever been broke...

I had 2 data corruption on different usb device from hard disconnecting. But i unplug sometimes dozens per day so... The fastest way i found to unplug device its actually to left clic on the small green arrow (dont right clic it takes longer) left clicking and say stop and it stop the current removable usb storage by default. Ill try the shortcut tho.

IMO that takes longer than just left-clicking on the icon. That's what I always do. It lets you choose what device to stop and doesn't bring up any windows.

Archived